best shell layer to kick the wind

what has everyone had the best luck with for a shell for glassing/cold weather late season. Last year I relied on FL layering and insulation with a kuiu guide for a shell. A little disappointed on how well it handled wind. I am tossing around the idea of just adding another layer of insulation when it gets cold and just rocking my FL Stormlight as a shell vs. some of the soft shell options out there comparable to the kuiu guide.

Basically it comes down to added insulation and Stormlight vs. Sitka jetstream(or timberline?)vs. kryp koldo
Anything I may be missing and should consider?

In everyone's experience what would be best for low temps and high winds??

ianpadron

WKR
I don't think you can beat a hard shell for heavy winds. My guide jacket from KUIU has been pretty disappointing in the wind as well.

Looking forward to trying out the Sitka Timberline this year for hunts where rain isn't in the forecast. GORE Windstopper is pretty good stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
The Kuiu Guide does not block wind well, on the other hand it has a lot of other good attributes. It breathes well, is vented, insulates and is pretty quiet/abrasion resistant. Great for cold days and lots of walking, or for warmer days and an occasional stop. Sitting in cold and wind, not so good. If wind is your enemy, put a non breathable wind shell over it and you're set. You'll be loud....but the wind is prolly loud at that point too. If you get within stalking range, take it off, or put it under. If you're sitting far away, it doesn't matter anyway.
Years ago Go Lite made a wind shirt, which also worked well underneath. More like a vapor barrier but that's another story.
If sitting and glassing in cold and wind, you can bet I have an Uncomahgre or other puffy with me that's pretty darn windproof and warm. Probably a wobble too if it's really cold.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Of all of my Kuiu pieces of clothing, I'm least impressed with the Guide Jacket (and the alpine pants). It's not very warm for how heavy it is. I do use it every now and then over my kenai jacket during cold damp rifle hunting days.

The superdown jacket, with hood, is what I've turned to for glassing on cold/windy days. I usually have at least 1 layer of merino under it and that makes for a pretty toasty set up. It has enough of a coating on it to delay getting rain gear out. It's not nearly as quiet as the guide jacket or the kenai jacket though. If wind is really a problem, a rain jacket will cut it pretty well - even a cheap one.

I've mentioned several times in my unloading/loading videos how much I like the superdown jacket. Colorado HunterHiker
- YouTube

It was one of the best clothing purchases I made last season.

Good luck!

FreeRange

WKR
Definitely a rain shell/hard shell will be the best, on top of whatever insulation you have. Hard shell pants will help a lot too, I like a pair with full side zips to make them easy to throw on. And a sit pad. Always something to consider when you first sit down to glass is how sweated out you are and how you're going to manage that because that has a major impact on your warmth as you suddenly become stationary with all that sweat on you.

elkduds

WKR
If I don't have to pack it, I really like my Cabela's Wooltimate jacket w Windstopper layer in cold and wind. If packing, puffy under Core4 Element or Torrent rain jacket.

OP
W
How does your super down comp. to your kenai? Outside of just down vs synthetic. Have had my eyes on a superdown vest for a while now. May have to add one to the kit this year!

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
How does your super down comp. to your kenai? Outside of just down vs synthetic. Have had my eyes on a superdown vest for a while now. May have to add one to the kit this year!

The superdown jacket is warmer, and lighter and smaller to pack, but louder. I have the hooded version and I think that makes a big difference. It blocks the wind from behind and the hood helps will warmth retention as well. The superdown is warmer than the kenai and will burn you out if you hike with it on. It's meant for sitting and glassing. Just popping the hood off for a second makes a huge difference when you get a little warm glassing. The biggest difference is the noise of the garment for me, second is the warmth with the superdown being warmer.

My kenai is not the hooded version. It feels like more like a softshell. During rifle season, I pretty much put it on and leave it on. It's quiet and comfortable.

I'd look real hard at the superdown hooded jacket. Buy once, cry once. It's in my pack on every backpacking hunt since I've purchased it.

I'm going to pick up the new Sitka flash pullover. I am really excited for a pullover windshirt in camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kuiu guide and think it servers it's purpose very well. However I will say I picked up a Peloton 240 and used it every day last year of the hunting season and was very surprised of its wind stopping capabilities. It bucks The Wind very well. It also Is very warm for how lightweight and packable it is.

Fishing on a windy day in the 30s and i was great with a fl puffy, fl puffy vest, and a sitka jetstream. This combo has been really warm and blocks wind great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
I just wear my FL puffy on the outside as a do all for everything and works great.. Cold, wind, light rain, whatever.. It manages well.. I little too loud for bowhunting, unless you're taking longer shots

Dameon

WKR
I just wear my FL puffy on the outside as a do all for everything and works great.. Cold, wind, light rain, whatever.. It manages well.. I little too loud for bowhunting, unless you're taking longer shots

I wear my FL puffy under my ASAT bowhunter soft shell jacket for this reason. The puffy is awesome and is my favorite piece of gear. I also have the North Branch pants. They shed the wind reasonable well and excel when its cold and wet. I have yet to figure out how to quiet them though. I think I am going to have Gary at DayOne make me some soft shell gaiters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker

FNG
FL puffy underneath a cabelas wooltimate pullover with wind stopper. Tried and tested in 100mph winds in late November. Totally windproof and dead silent combo right there.

what has everyone had the best luck with for a shell for glassing/cold weather late season. Last year I relied on FL layering and insulation with a kuiu guide for a shell. A little disappointed on how well it handled wind. I am tossing around the idea of just adding another layer of insulation when it gets cold and just rocking my FL Stormlight as a shell vs. some of the soft shell options out there comparable to the kuiu guide.

Basically it comes down to added insulation and Stormlight vs. Sitka jetstream(or timberline?)vs. kryp koldo
Anything I may be missing and should consider?

In everyone's experience what would be best for low temps and high winds??

i think the jet stream would fit the bill for what your after

if you need sitka help let us know...we are running some pre season specials

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post here. Is the FL Puffy and Stormlight adequate for bucking the wind/snow during late season rifle?

I'm running a KOM pullover. So far it's better than anything else I've used. It's a bit heavier but it's more durable and I don't need a rain jacket, a puffy and a bunch of layers.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post here. Is the FL Puffy and Stormlight adequate for bucking the wind/snow during late season rifle?

My original storm tight was fine to block wind but tore up a bit after a couple of hunts. Not sure about their new heavier seak, but I think you would want something a little thicker for hunting for extended periods.