Best Shelter $400 budget

Moserkr

WKR
Depends on your needs more than budget. I got a used SO BT2 for $200 and a stove for another $200ish. My solo hot tent weighs in right at 3lbs.

Welcome.

Just a suggestion but paint the picture a little more and you will get better answers. Where and when do you typically use it? How many people?

First thing to decide is tent or tarp? If you go tent, do you want a floor or not.

$400 would buy a nice backpacking tent and could get you a used Hilleberg as suggested above.

If yo want to go floorless, there are a lot of options. Seek outside cimarron comes to mind. If you want a tarp, their DST is a hell of a bargain with lots of pitching options. Paired with a ground cloth and some trekking poles it is a great shelter and would leave you enough $ for a sweet Borah bivy.

For my part, I don’t care for backpacking / enclosed tents unless bugs are a major issue. I will tarp or bivy sack camo whenever it is practical. Guys that spend a lot of time in cold and snow like floorless tents with stoves for a very good reason. I am fine to cowboy camp for a night or three but if you are going to be in the woods for 4, 5 or more days in cold weather, it is so nice to have a warm, dry place to go to and dry out your gear.

OP
TheKid

TheKid

FNG
Welcome.

Just a suggestion but paint the picture a little more and you will get better answers. Where and when do you typically use it? How many people?

First thing to decide is tent or tarp? If you go tent, do you want a floor or not.

$400 would buy a nice backpacking tent and could get you a used Hilleberg as suggested above.

If yo want to go floorless, there are a lot of options. Seek outside cimarron comes to mind. If you want a tarp, their DST is a hell of a bargain with lots of pitching options. Paired with a ground cloth and some trekking poles it is a great shelter and would leave you enough $ for a sweet Borah bivy.

For my part, I don’t care for backpacking / enclosed tents unless bugs are a major issue. I will tarp or bivy sack camo whenever it is practical. Guys that spend a lot of time in cold and snow like floorless tents with stoves for a very good reason. I am fine to cowboy camp for a night or three but if you are going to be in the woods for 4, 5 or more days in cold weather, it is so nice to have a warm, dry place to go to and dry out your gear.
Hey, thanks for the advice.
I am looking for something that is big enough for two people with gear. I hunt season round and the temperature range varies. Im thinking to go with a tent or a teepee. I hunt a lot of rugged country and want something that can withstand rainy and windy elements. I also want something light and packable since I hike long ways.

Thanks,
Milan

Seek outside cimarron, MLD supermid, or tarptent stratospire 2 are my favorite options. Stratospire if you want a double wall tent, supermid if you want the lightest and most stable in wind, and cimarron if you want a more spacious and less drafty pyramid.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
If you are using for backpacking

Big agnes copper spur 3p

Nemo Dagger 3p

ShakeDown

WKR
I have a SO DST for bare bones bivy camping, a SO Redcliff with Light Outdoors stove for when the weather turns or if I’m with a group and a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 for if things are buggy.

I love all three shelters and feel like each has a unique niche.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Nemo dagger either 2p or 3p is my suggestion. I own both and it's a great three season lightweight backpacking tent! And they are on sale right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk