best shirt or coat I could wear under my down jacket?

jon5500

FNG
Just purchased a down jacket to replace former attire that just wasn't working in my work environment, where I basically sit for 12 hour shifts at the computer and in a minimally heated enviroment (about 48-50 F this time of year). Along with the jacket, some midweight merino thermals were also purchased, but I couldn't stand the tightness of the shirt and returned it, although I did keep and I am using the pants. For the first few days, I thought I would only need the down jacket over any t-shirt I was wearing, but now that temps have reached their lowest in here, I am going to need something more. Right now, I am wearing a standard 100% fleece jacket between the t-shirt and down jacket. This has done the trick, but I don't like the tightness in my arms and I have lost some mobility. What else could I use instead? Thank you.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I usually use a fleece. You might need to find one that is not as bulky, or the cut of the down might just be too tight for it, in which case a vest would be the best bet. My down is all sized to be worn over other layers. What kind of down jacket did you get?

For lower profile fleece I have the Kuiu Peloton 240. For activity it does not breath as well as I would like, but would work for your needs. The Patagonia R2 is another good option. Or just try other thermals.

For just sitting inside, a heavy cotton flannel might work too.

If you are not already, try having more insulation on your legs, such as thermal bottoms.

OP
J

jon5500

FNG
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, maybe a fleece vest. I have so many fleece jackets that I have come across in storage that I am tempted to try cutting off the sleeves from one of the more worn ones. Any thoughts on that would be welcome. One thing I've been learning lately is to avoid cotton in this environment. I end up with a cold sweat if not careful and it almost never dries with the cotton.

Although I did originally order a merino wool top and bottom, I only kept the bottoms. I am actually wearing those underneath some fleece pants at home right now. Quite warm. The trouble I see with thermals, like the Minus 33 ones I have/ had, is the compression. I don't mind it on the legs, but don't like it for the top of me. If I could find a merio wool shirt, more like a t-shirt, instead, this might be ideal.

The coat I got is an REI Stormhenge. On sale I assume because there have been many complaints about the double zipper not working correctly, but after already owning another double zippered coat, I thought I would take the chance. It has 850 fill power, and as long as the indoor temps are around 52 F+, I only need to wear a t-shirt underneath. So far, I have had no zipper issues as long as I use it properly.