Best shooting position in the field?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys and girls starting some preseason work. I am working on different shooting positions and using different items I carry with me to help build a good form. Here is my personal favorite, I like my main pack under my rifle stock and Chilkoot 15° Sleeping Bag under my chest and buttstock. Simple and works good for me. 102606
Would love to hear how you guys set up your shoots in the field so I can try some out at the range and see what works good. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

Totoro

WKR
Similar set up as you Scott.

I cant seem to shoot well off a tripod for some reason.

So its my pack and a rear support via prone.

While sitting, I wrap up in the sling if no support is available and the pack on occasion.

neverquit

WKR
Harris Pivot w/ notched legs in the front and a Phoenix shooting bag in the back. The tony bag of donuts is 7oz and is my pillow while backpacking. 642A1451-6474-4E43-A54A-FE06A19CD5F1.jpeg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Front bipod and I grab my "possibles" pouch out of my pack for a rear bag. I like that over something like noted in the first post because I can let go of the rifle to work a range finder or ballistic app and the rifle doesn't fall over on its side out of position. At times I've used my binos wrapped in a puffy jacket for a rear rest, etc. when I didn't have my full pack at hand.

Wrench

WKR
my backpack and trekking poles have had a lot of shots across the bow. I don't pack a bipod because I always have to pack and poles.

I simply look for the most foolproof rest I can improvise in the time window I'm working with. FB_IMG_1539621082729.jpg20181019_123903.jpg

Azone

WKR
The perfect dead tree or crotch in a tree stump/limb if its going down fast and you only have moments to shoot. But prone or at least sitting down with a bi pod or pack to rest off of is my preferred choice. I have shot off hand a few times and been successful at closer ranges, but I much prefer prone off the bi pod or pack. The main thing is being comfortable and not having to strain muscles or twist your body in to weird angles while trying to shoot.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
For me, and I think for most guys, prone is definitely going to be the best position and I'll take a front bipod over a backpack every time. I also carry a super lightweight shooting bag for rear support as well. I think it weighs like 4.5 oz. To me that's worth carrying at least on day hunts.

And while I love my bombproof Harris bipods, they're not the greatest for carrying around in the field all day but there's lots lighter weight bipods that I think will be worth having with you. The Spartan Javelin is one example. Been using that a little and really liking it. Rugged Ridge is another one I've been playing with that looks nice initially. I have done the trekking pole thing in a pinch too and that can be very solid as well, especially if you need to get up off the ground a bit more like into a sitting position.

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For me, and I think for most guys, prone is definitely going to be the best position and I'll take a front bipod over a backpack every time. I also carry a super lightweight shooting bag for rear support as well. I think it weighs like 4.5 oz. To me that's worth carrying at least on day hunts.

And while I love my bombproof Harris bipods, they're not the greatest for carrying around in the field all day but there's lots lighter weight bipods that I think will be worth having with you. The Spartan Javelin is one example. Been using that a little and really liking it. Rugged Ridge is another one I've been playing with that looks nice initially. I have done the trekking pole thing in a pinch too and that can be very solid as well, especially if you need to get up off the ground a bit more like into a sitting position.
Way back in the day I use to fill up a sock in my pack with dirt before a long shot and us that for my rear support. Worked great but the sock was never the same.

Similar set up as you Scott.

I cant seem to shoot well off a tripod for some reason.

So its my pack and a rear support via prone.

While sitting, I wrap up in the sling if no support is available and the pack on occasion.
Try pulling back on the stock to avoid having the stock/barrel going up and down over the bipod as the rifle recoils.

MTSLW

FNG
bipod in the front with a lightweight rear bag. Crossed hiking sticks with a pack in the rear for the taller position.

Not sure of this is the answer you are looking for but i have always practiced offhand shooting and competing in offhand disciplines. Once you have mastered (as much as you are able) shooting unsupported, you can always fall back to supported positions (which need to be practiced as well obviously) much more comfortably. Imho, unsupported breathing and trigger control are trickle down skills that make you better all around.
Ymmv

cowboy300

WKR
Long range I will take a bipod on the front and depending what kind of hunt it is I will sometimes use a dedicated rear bag or I will detach my bino harness and use it for a rear bag. Works perfect and I am already carrying it anyway.

TreyPound

FNG
I hunt about 2 1/2 hours away but have know a few guys that hunt out that way. The hunting is good and the deer are plentiful from what i have heard. The rut down here is always a little later here then most of the other states and wtih all the warm weather it hasn't helped but most places are coming into it right now so you may be able to catch the tail end of it.

street

WKR
For me, prone with rifle on pack and fist under back of stock. I'm good out to about 700 in that position.

Tripod with a direct Arca swiss attachment. The right tripod will go all the way from prone to sitting/kneeling. Going prone, the tripod is a lot like a good bipod. Shorten the legs all the way up, and fold them out to the flattest position. Every bit as effective as a bipod without packing the extra weight. When sitting with it, I like to keep my pack, a puffy, or something else as a rear support in my lap. I can keep them on a 12" plate at 1k sitting off my tripod if I set up a good rear support. This system doesn't require me to carry any extra BS, is able to switch from glassing to shooting in seconds, and is as or more stable than anything else.

WKR
Prone would be preferred but many times the terrain won't allow it. My daughter has an excellent elk tag this fall and we are working on sitting with a Harris bipod. She is doing quite well with that setup and I think it adds another great option.