Best shooting position in the field?

Lawnboi

WKR
Tripod with a direct Arca swiss attachment. The right tripod will go all the way from prone to sitting/kneeling. Going prone, the tripod is a lot like a good bipod. Shorten the legs all the way up, and fold them out to the flattest position. Every bit as effective as a bipod without packing the extra weight. When sitting with it, I like to keep my pack, a puffy, or something else as a rear support in my lap. I can keep them on a 12" plate at 1k sitting off my tripod if I set up a good rear support. This system doesn't require me to carry any extra BS, is able to switch from glassing to shooting in seconds, and is as or more stable than anything else.

Iv been playing with this option. Got a Hogg saddle tripod and an rrs anvil head to play with. Good option, and what I plan on carrying for spotting scope/binos/shooting when rifle hunting.

That said this option takes some serious practice, ash should all positions. A light rifle makes the tripod even harder to shoot off in anything but prone.

Prone with a bag is still king to me.

mcseal2

WKR
With my 264WM I shoot prone, sitting, or kneeling off a Rapid Pivot bipod of the proper height if I need a mix of precision and speed. I use the sitting/kneeling height bipod calling coyotes with my 204, 243, or AR also. I practice off it a lot with the AR or my 10-22 shooting rolling polymer or spinner targets at various ranges. I switch targets every shot and have to re-aquire them in the scope. It really pays off practicing that way for predator hunting.

With my 300WM I don't have the Rapid Pivot attachment. It's a lighter rifle and I mainly shoot it prone off the pack or my optics tripod with an Outdoorsmans head and shooting rest attachment. I actually prefer that tripod/head set up to any other field rest when I can't go prone, I use it some with the other rifles too. It's slower and louder to set up than the Rapid Pivot, so its best to have a little time to set it up. A lot of times hunting big game I already have my tripod set up for optics so then it's quick and easy to slide in the shooting adapter for a shot.

Shots that have to be taken fast I'll use trekking poles, trees, my pack frame, kneeling or sitting, whatever I can get into quick enough that allows the most possible precision. I practice them all in the yard with the 10-22 quite a bit.

I prefer prone, but I've taken game out to nearly 400 yards on that tripod set-up with great results. The grass around home doesn't often allow for prone shots. This is the spot and set-up where I took my whitetail buck last year at 379 yards.

Attachments

• tripod deer season 2018 2.jpg
    tripod deer season 2018 2.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So with all the differences in your shooting poisons does anyone sight in your rifle to one or does everyone just do prone. I have sighted my rifle in with my sitting with pack stance just because your eye relief changes slightly and with the under growth in the unit I was in there was no way I was taking a shot from the prone.