Best sleeper states for elk and moose?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I think the idea of a "sleeper" good state is gone. Too much pressure on Elk and everything else now. As a NR, your' best bet is to study the draw systems in each state and go from there. Get a credit card set aside for just applications fees (several thousand) and put in for a dozen eastern and western draws for everything on your list - its just the odds - the more you put in for the better the chance. For example, as an NR in MT, I've managed 100% elk tag success and 60% antelope success over 10 years. Last year I snuck in on a alternate list tag. This year is probably my last year of 100% as I have (2) points going into the draw. After that, it will be a crap shoot. Too many people, not enough resource. The YouTube Videos have educated everyone on the western hunts and demand surged. With that said, over the counter tags are still available for cow elk in CO and Idaho. But Colorado and Idaho will surely go to a full draw in the years ahead. Canada is closed at the moment and expensive...that leaves AK.

Maverick1

WKR
I applied for the WI elk hunt the last few years. I have better odds of drawing sheep or goat in WY than I do WI elk I think though.

Edit - Hope I didn't blow up anyone's sleeper state with that post. Definitely go to MN instead!!!
You aren’t blowing up WI as a sleeper state for elk with that post. 4 tags, 28,000 applicants, and you have to be a WI resident to apply. I don’t think anyone is moving to WI for those odds....

excaliber

WKR
There's no sleeper anything in the modern Hunting world of Youtube.
Make the right choices in life. It's all about $$$$$. This is the key to being able to buy primo land owner tags for Elk/Deer and ultra expensive trips to the Yukon for Moose.
Unfortunately I didn't follow my own advice.

Last edited: