Best sleeper states for elk and moose?

Definitely come to Alaska for an Elk hunt. Can't think of an easier or less competitive place to go. It will cost you in order to access the terrain, but no matter what happens you'll get an education.

Instead of focusing on sleeper states you need to be focused on sleeper units.

As many have said there are no more secrets - even sleeper units get pressure... but there's a hell of a lot of country people overlook when they hunt because one unit gets pushed harder on YouTube videos, or this other unit has nicer terrain.

Look at elknut - that dude hunts in one of the lowest success rate units in his state and him and his boy still manage to pull out elk EVERY YEAR.

If you want a sleeper area - go find a place where people don't like to go, doesn't have to be a hellhole although that helps - and now locate the animals that live there, learn their routines and habits. Bam, you've found your sleeper unit.

Tour best bet....move to British Columbia
seriously

Moving is the real answer if you want to hunt a lot and for a long time. And then you can worry less about how much money you make. You can be flat broke here and hunt until your hearts content. If you don’t believe me go check out the thread about Wyoming NR tags. Did you know every WY resident gets 10 tags a year?

Oh wait, sorry, that’s Colorado. Definitely move there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I don’t think there any “sleeper” elk or moose states. Your best bet for the most part is to be a citizen in a state with elk and moose.

Rock-o

WKR
As a non-resident, having to wait years to hunt is a sleeper... my preference is to hunt every year, so no sleepers for me. I guarantee the bull, no matter the size, I shoot this year will be a monster trophy compared to the one you don't shoot because you're sleeping year after year.

KHNC

WKR
Nebraska. Nebraska is the state you want to get an elk tag in . But you probably should become a resident there first.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-you came off with an attitude and good dudes here still gave you quality responses. Be a little more humble, and maybe contribute some before getting snippy.
What you will learn after hanging around and doing some searching is, being a regular around here WONT get you any “secret/sleeper/inside” info, but rather give you the knowledge as to why YOU DO NOT ASK IT on a public forum.
Welcome to the site, and welcome the challenge of big game hunting, of which research, patience and hard work is comprised of.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
This is the internet, there is no such thing as "sleeper" anymore, literally google any hunting state/game/scenario and you will find tidbits of info if you look hard enough and put in the time, u might even find someone on youtube hunting that exact area and can watch a whole video on it. No one is gonna PM you their GPS coordinates.

Get to know each states Game Laws, so u don't break any laws while there, because it's obvious following rules and directions are hard for ya, that being said I moved your post to the correct forum, if your asking about Elk post in the elk forum, if your asking about moose post in the moose forum etc.

Just so u know I aint being to hard on ya, One last hint, rokslide has a "search" button in the upper right hand corner of the forum. Use it, search for "colorado OTC ELK" or "Idaho Elk" rinse and repeat with as many states as you can etc. and u might just find what your looking for

People are pretty tight lipped about Canada. It's like all the elk and moose stop at Montana's Northern border.

If you are playing the long game, as you mention in your initial post, I would recommend picking a state and earning bonus/preference points there. While you wait to draw a cool tag, hunt OTC or leftover units for elk. You will learn a ton, and maybe even have a good time.

Agree 100% with Gunnersday49.

Besides moose and elk, what do you want to hunt? I ask since you often have to buy a license. If you are fronting that cost, you might as well put in where you can get the most bang (i.e. points) for your buck.

For moose, what species are you wanting to hunt? May be cheaper and less frustrating to just go to Canada to scratch that itch. Beats waiting a lifetime of not drawing a moose tag in the lower 48.

My advice: play the long game. Start now, build points in a few key states, and that way you'll have premium hunts throughout your life (more later than sooner but it's all good).

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Spend time doing the research and you can develop a game plan for trying to hunt the species. To me a sleeper for moose or elk would be knowing an outfitter or having a relative who owns private property where you can hunt them on.

Fireball

FNG
Many years ago, I was in Mitchell, South Dakoter. At the Corn Palace to be precise. I asked a woman at the local gift store if they ever saw any moose around them parts. She paused for a moment, and said, "well, there was one... we think it had wandered down from Canada, maybe it had Alzheimers..."

Mum's the word.

TX_Diver

WKR
Quite a few states you'd not expect have small elk populations with limited hunting, its kind of funny how many residents of those states don't even realize it.

I applied for the WI elk hunt the last few years. I have better odds of drawing sheep or goat in WY than I do WI elk I think though.

Edit - Hope I didn't blow up anyone's sleeper state with that post. Definitely go to MN instead!!!

Buck197

WKR
I applied for the WI elk hunt the last few years. I have better odds of drawing sheep or goat in WY than I do WI elk I think though.

Edit - Hope I didn't blow up anyone's sleeper state with that post. Definitely go to MN instead!!!
HAHA, yeah they're tough odds, I forgot WI had a herd, I know PA, Oklahoma have em, and I think quite a few others. Down in the Wichita mountains of Okla, there's some good bulls down there.

Gerbdog

WKR
I thought i had a sleeper spot to hunt this year.... but nope, found two broken off arrows + arrowheads

Been good advice in this thread OP, i'd start building points in states and then i'd get all the experience you can get hunting elk out west here. There are still elk here, and you can still find them

180ls1

WKR
Instead of focusing on sleeper states you need to be focused on sleeper units.

As many have said there are no more secrets - even sleeper units get pressure... but there's a hell of a lot of country people overlook when they hunt because one unit gets pushed harder on YouTube videos, or this other unit has nicer terrain.

Look at elknut - that dude hunts in one of the lowest success rate units in his state and him and his boy still manage to pull out elk EVERY YEAR.

If you want a sleeper area - go find a place where people don't like to go, doesn't have to be a hellhole although that helps - and now locate the animals that live there, learn their routines and habits. Bam, you've found your sleeper unit.
This. Also, go to a place you can go consistently and spend time in.