Best sleeping bags for side sleeper

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for opinions. Something lightweight around 3 lbs or less and at least a true 20deg.

Felix40

WKR
This has been discussed before and a bunch of people, including me, think quilts are the way to go especially if you move around a lot. I have an enlightened equipment 20 degree and its been warm enough down into the teens.

Trial153

WKR
I switched over to quilts as well, most for the reason. I get a way nights sleep with being twisted up in a bag.

Check out the back country beds. I’m a bigger guy (6-3, 220 lbs) and side sleeper. The bag is about 2 lbs and you can find pro deals like Expert Voice. Really like mine though confess that I haven’t tested it down to 20 degrees. Most bags are rated as in “you won’t die at this temp, but you damn sure won’t sleep!” Will be hunting high in Idaho this year so plan on finding out soon.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I got the nemo forte 20° this spring and so far ive been happy down to the mid 30s. Its kinda bean shaped to give you more room at the knees and shoulders. Im a side sleeper and its worked well for me. Its not the lightest bag out there but it still gets relatively small and if your looking for a quality bag that doesn't break the bank i highly recommend checking it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

+1 on that Nemo forte. I only have a few nights in mine but like the design.

I also have a montbell burrow bag that I like.

I tried the quilt thing with a pen EE convert. Not sure I am there yet on cold, cold nights but I love it for temps down to 40 or so.

Im a side sleeper and I do have a hammock gear quilt i like but you are looking for a bag. I have a nemo riff 30 that has been a great bag with tons of room for tossing and turning. I've had it down to mid-30's and been comfortable. I think i could easily get into the 20's if i had base layers on. They make a riff 15 that you could take a look at.

I originally was going to buy a western mountain terralite last year when i was shopping for a new bag. I caught the nemo on sale for 250$ and decided to give it a try since it was literally half the price of the terralite. I know the wm bag is nicer, warmer, and lighter, but i just couldn't pass up trying the nemo and have no complaints.

I have been having restless nights in my Slick Bag for the same reasons, I toss and turn a lot. I plan on trying out the Backcountry Bodybag.
More room and more options to vent when it's not too cold.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lando

WKR
I would go with a 0 or 10 degree quilt for 20 degree temps. Then you can stick a leg out or vent the quilt in warmer conditions. More versatile, less restrictive and lighter than a bag.

mort9687

FNG
This has been discussed before and a bunch of people, including me, think quilts are the way to go especially if you move around a lot. I have an enlightened equipment 20 degree and its been warm enough down into the teens.
Did you go with down or the apex synthetic?

The SG 15ºF Chilkoot bag is super comfortable and I'm a solid side sleeper that wrestles around a lot. My WM Apache is a lonely bag this season and likely going to be for awhile.

Side sleeper here too. I bought an Enlightened Equipment Convert. I had it slightly overfilled and went with the wide. I used it for the first time 2 weeks ago in Northern Manitoba on a caribou hunt. Best money I’ve ever spent on hunting gear.

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I bought the 20* Conundrum Wide from EE and sleep on my side/stomach and roll all over and i never had a problem in that bag!

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Joe's bags. He calls them back zip. I call them center zip and love them as a side sleeper. I got a long instead of theregular to accommodate the fig four effect, and a wide for using as a quilt as well. I roll with the bag. I'm finding out very nice. No links as i'm writing this from my phone.

bsills

FNG
I have been looking at western mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and EE. Each have a wide and rectangular bag.

I used the REI Magma 15 this season and it was super comfortable material and warm. Unfortunately I am also a side sleeper and thats where it went south and I woke up a ton.

Western Mountaineering I am looking at the Sequoia and the Ponderosa.

Feathered Friends I am looking at Condor YF

Enlightened Equipment I am looking at Conundrum

They all have a wider shoulder girth than my mummy bag and i feel will let me sleep much better.

If anyone has any first hand experience on these bags please let us know.