"best" sleeping pad, what is it???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ive had some sort of therma rest lite pad since ~ 2006. It's patched in several places and has pretty much worn out at this point. I've been working on putting together what I consider my dream sleep set up, I've ordered a Hilleberg Allak 2, Western mountaineering Badger MF bag but now I'm ready to order up a sleep pad.

As I said, I've had the same thermarest since 2006 and I'm completely out of the loop. What I'm looking for is something with decent R value but I don't really camp out in the winter, I'm hoping to find something thats very comfortable but still fairly light weight.

I was thinking of an xtherm at first but now I'm looking more at Sea To Summit, Klymit, Xped all of which were not really available back when I got my last pad.

I wan't something light and compact enough for my sheep and goat hunts but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few ounces for comfort and the ability to sleep on my side if I want. I'm 6'4 so I guess I'll need a "long" version in whatever I get.

So what should I be adding to my short list for this purchase???

Thank you!!!

duchntr

WKR
I have and use an X lite pad for summer camping and early sheep season, I really like it. For later on, I use an xtherm or a BA slx qcore pad. The the slx is real comfortable, more so then the other two but I have had durablity issues with BA pads in the past. The upside is both companies have great warranties.

I prefer the EXPED UL9 LW which is now called a Winter. 3.5" thick, high R rating...far more reliable than some other popular brands.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the EXPED UL9 LW which is now called a Winter. 3.5" thick, high R rating...far more reliable than some other popular brands.

What “where’s Bruce” said... got the same pad and it’s great... not light.. but sleep is important to me... mine had an issue and I called Exped... sent a replacement.. no charge... super customer service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Also check out ghost blinds, pretty neat concept. I've used it for a couple seasons now with good results

Baron85

WKR
I’m 6’5” 220#. I’m looking for a new pad as well and went to REI about a week ago to lay on them. My favorite was the Nemo tensor long side. Runner up was the big Agnes and sea to summit comfort plus.

If I remember correctly the Nemo packed the smallest and was the lightest of the 3

I use the Klymit Static V and really like it. In Alaska we each used our own 2 man tent and the Klymit Static V lux insulated was large and comfortable. I chose the Klymit pads because I am a side sleeper and they were supposedly designed for side sleepers. Klymit likes hunters and attends the Sci show and the sheep show... most of the other companies wish we didn't exist.

I have a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated, so it’s not an ultralight pad, but it’s 27ozs of comfort! The 2 sided fill system was new to me after years with thermarest pads, so initially I thought something had to be wrong...filled both sides using the stuff-sack bladder and wow. Can lay on my side with an elbow down and still feel supported.
That said, I’m 5’9” and 170 on a Regular sized pad, but StS isn’t scamming anybody on the quality of their gear. Even the packaging it came in wasn’t brilliant.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I also think the zlite was the lightest when I compared .. of course it has a larger packsize.. the next one, only a bit heavier would be the prolite

sneaky

"DADDY"
My next pad will probably be a ProLite Apex from Thermarest. Self inflating, 2" thick, R value of 4, QUIET, and in case something goes wrong you'll still be sleeping on a layer of foam. Won't waste all your breath inflating it either. 1lb6oz for a regular, 1lb 14oz for large, 1lb 12oz for regular wide. Packs down pretty nice for a self inflating pad. Tried one about 3/4 inflated on a concrete floor on my side and didn't bottom out. I'm 6'3" 200#.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My king coil bed. But seriously my favorite is the ba qcore sxl long. It's not the warmest but more comfortable than my xtherm or klymit

I’m 6’5” 220#. I’m looking for a new pad as well and went to REI about a week ago to lay on them. My favorite was the Nemo tensor long side. Runner up was the big Agnes and sea to summit comfort plus.

If I remember correctly the Nemo packed the smallest and was the lightest of the 3

5'11" 215 here...I went in REI and loved the NEMO Tensor as well, and that's what I got. When I tested it out for the first time on my floor I accidentally took a couple hour nap. Then my wife went out on a limb and got the NEMO Astro Lite, and at a penalty of 4oz over the Tensor, I'm even more comfortable, which I didn't know was possible. She prefers my Tensor, so we just swapped. Luckily for both of us I had her get the 25L, so the pads are interchangeable between us. Makes for a cheap "spare" for me.

slowelk

WKR
I am trying the Nemo Tensor long+wide. 1.5# with a 4.5~ r-value at that size is hard to beat.

Side-note - you are spending some coin on gear this year, between your optics thread and your new sleep system - damn. I hope it all performs to your expectations!

Baker5150

FNG
I use the Klymit Static V and really like it. In Alaska we each used our own 2 man tent and the Klymit Static V lux insulated was large and comfortable. I chose the Klymit pads because I am a side sleeper and they were supposedly designed for side sleepers. Klymit likes hunters and attends the Sci show and the sheep show... most of the other companies wish we didn't exist.

I run the Static as well and really like it.