Best slim fitting hunting gear?

Hey gang, I'm having a devil of a time finding hunting gear that fits the way I want. I'm 5'10", 165, 40" chest, 30.5" waist.

The problem that I'm running into is that the jackets fit through the shoulders, but are sloppy through the midsection. The pants tend to fit at the waist, but be unnecessarily bulky through the quads/calves. Granted, I freely admit to wearing skinny jeans year-round, so i like my clothes to fit really tight to the skin.

Does anybody have any good intel on a brand or particular line that is athletically cut and fits true to size? I'm sick of buying things and mailing them back. I live way out in Pennsylvania, so none of the local sport shops carry any of the western-style athletic mountainwear. Everything is bulky whitetail gear, built for sitting idle in a treestand for days on end.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu will likely Be one of your better options as the fit tends to be to a more athletic cut

tam9492

WKR
Don't be afraid to check out some of the mountain brands. If you're in the PSU area, Appalachian Outdoors downtown should have some stuff that'll interest you.

You’re a hair smaller than me: 5’11”, 175, 32”-33” waist. In the whitetail world, I’ve been wearing Scentblocker and ScentLoc with good fit (Bottoms - M, Jackets - L). My baselayers have been First Lite or Scentblocker, Top/Bottoms - M. I have a Sitka midlayer (Fanatic hoodie) that I rock in M. The L fit fine too, but I went with the medium to save a little arm length and help it fit under my jackets when layering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
K
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I ordered some Kuiu pants to try out. i’ll report back when received.

I have some plythal stuff that camofire was clearing out and it fits pretty well too - but plythal is out of business now, so that’s not going to be a long term option.

LJ Buck

WKR
Stone Glacier pants would be perfect. Especially with the Way the waist is adjustable

OP
K
Those De Havilland pants look awesome.

if the Skre’s or Kuiu’s that i have on order aren’t winners, the stone glaciers will get the next order

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I've found Under Armor to have the most athletic cut between Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite. Honestly, you'd be better off looking at premium outdoor brands like Patagonia or Outdoor Research for clothing unless you need camo. I like to support good hunting brands, but sometimes you can find better and cheaper alternatives in the hiker/backpacker market.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'10, 160 lbs. Pretty slender build. I've used a few sitka pants, kuiu, and a few other brands. Longtime backpacker. My favorite pants ever were a pair of older Patagonia quandary. Really lightweight and stretchy fabric. Breathable. Slim fit. Extremely quiet. I eventually wore them out and had them replace it. The newer ones I have are ok (depends on the year and current fabric) but still preferred over all my other pants. In a neutral solid color it looks good and you could happily hunt in them. Lifetime warranty and significantly cheaper than hunting brands.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't need camo check out the kulh silencer pants. Those and prana Zion has a slimmer model that's real nice. I'm 6 ft and about 160, with 30 inch waist. Both those pants work real good with fairly slim fit, which I like....

OP
K
Today I had a pair of SKRE Hardscrabble pants arrive. They're going to be a no-go, unless every other brand fails or falls short on fit/taper. They're super well-made pants, and fit exactly to size in the waist. The problem with them is that they fit nice in the waist and hips, but don't really narrow down through the ankle. You'd need to have calves as big as your thighs to really fit these pants. Either that, or you'd really have to like a super relaxed fitting pant. I just can't deal with that much excess through the knees/calves. There's very little taper to the legs, if any.

If you're going to fit a gaiter on them, they'll likely be bunched-up at the junction where pants meet gaiter.

Credit, though, to SKRE. I ordered these two days after my KUIU's and they were shipped much more quickly and their pants did fit to the size chart. The size charts really don't give you any type of indicator on the taper as you go down the leg, so it's almost always going to be a crapshoot.

SKRE - If you're listening - please offer a more tailored version of these Hardscrabble pants, because they are certifiably awesome in every other way.

If you are looking for a perfect, personalized fit then you will need to get your clothes tailored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K
If you are looking for a perfect, personalized fit then you will need to get your clothes tailored.

Not necessarily, Cuttie. It's just about finding the right vendor and the right piece. I have some things that feel like they were custom tailored. And when you get into the high-end fabrics with waterproof taping in the seams - tailoring is a non-option. You just have to try and find something that's cut right out of the box.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
As I've aged, shifted interests from marathon training to beer brewing, I've found it's ALL athletic fit!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not necessarily, Cuttie. It's just about finding the right vendor and the right piece. I have some things that feel like they were custom tailored. And when you get into the high-end fabrics with waterproof taping in the seams - tailoring is a non-option. You just have to try and find something that's cut right out of the box.
Good luck on the hunting gear spectrum looking for the skinny jean type fit. First Lite Corrugates used to sorta fit that way, but not really anything else. If you get your seam taped pants tailored, just seam seal them yourself, it's not really that big of a deal. Seam tape fails anyways over time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk