Best Softshell - What should a softshell be and do?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
You inherently can't have excellent breathability and weather protection in one piece. This is why your outer layer should be light and packable.

I get that. . but I should be able to get a soft shell that blocks the wind better then the Kuiu Guide.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
You inherently can't have excellent breathability and weather protection in one piece. This is why your outer layer should be light and packable.

This is right on, which is why I think so many people gravitate to the Jetstream. It has decent weather resistance and is windproof, which means while stationary it doesn't lose as much warmth as other softshells that are more breathable do.

Likewise, the pit zips help to increase the breathability while on the move, maintaining the weather resistance and windproof.

It is not waterproof, you will need a hardshell for that. It also loses most breathability offered by other softshells by adding a windproof layer.

Pick your poison so to speak.

RCB

WKR
Not a bad idea. I think I was mostly wanting something that had a little more breathability and I could just leave on during high output. I get pretty hot and sweaty in a hardshell.
Yeah. The holy grail of jackets is light and breathable while hiking up mountains, fully windproof and warm while glassing on a ridge, waterproof in a storm, and durable enough to blaze through thick brush. Such a thing will never exist, though. You can’t really have a breathable jacket that also blocks the wind well. If you find a soft shell that blocks the wind better, it will be less breathable.

Adding and removing layers is an annoyance when you’ve got a backpack on but it’s the only way I know to do it. In my experience a light fleece or breathable soft shell is quite enough when you’re really moving. When you stop, throw on extra insulation and perhaps a wind proof hard shell.

IMO your base layer and mid layer need to be the priority since you will want to leave those on 100% of the time and just remove or put on the outer layer as needed. I am biased to the skiing/backpacking brands as I find hunting brands to be heavy and lower quality, unless you must have camo it is basically objectively inferior and often costs as much or more.

1) Light or midweight merino base layer
2) Active insulation piece (TNF Ventrix) vs Windbreaker (Patagonia Houdini, Arc'teryx Squamish)
3) Light shell, the less it weighs and the smaller it packs the better.

Napperm4

WKR
I was in a similar situation.

Ultimately I ended up with Kuiu Axis jacket. I would say it’s an updated version of the guide that covers the features you’re looking for.

I wasn’t as big a fan of the kutana soft shell but checked it out too.

I live in one of the windiest places on earth. Tested my axis up to 55 mph winds ice fishing during a blizzard last week and it cut the wind completely.

Between the waterproof breathable membrane and the wind stopper fleece membrane it fit the bill. Not the quietest on the market but no louder than the guide and as it breaks in, seems to be getting quieter.

Another option for you is to keep the guide and wear a wind layer underneath. I like the peloton 240 from Kuiu. Thin, light, warm for weight and the same wind membrane as the axis jacket.

TBHasler

WKR
As it turns out the solid colors are faced with Nylon vs the camo with Polyester. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Yes - the finish does make a difference. I have one in dirt and one in OC. The OC is generally more quiet when moving. However, with some use, both get even quieter over time. Given equal break-in and use, the camo patterns will likely always be more quiet. Great all around jacket!

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Sixsite Gunnison soft shell. I was in the same boat as you trying to find a jacket that is pretty good in wind yet still breathable for on the move and has some water resistance. Very thought out pocket configurations with a horizontal range finder pocket with a plastic D loop tether. Fleece interior so it has a some insulation properties but very generous pit zips that go down to about mid torso. Great DWR and has a tree stand harness pass through so I can even wear it whitetail hunting in the Midwest. I’ve worn it from elk hunting to busting brush pheasant hunting and doesn’t have a single pull on the fabric yet. Designed by a navy seal and assembled in the USA. If I need the extra wind resistance I just wear a Peloton 240 underneath or a Sitka Nimbus jacket. Doesn’t have a hood which is kind of a bummer but I’ve contacted them about a making a hooded version in the future.

Cb750

FNG
I'm loving this conversation. I am struggling as well with finding a decent softshell or 80-90% solution jacket. I am an "active" eastern hunter, I have no real permanent setups. I am aware that an active hunter in the East is still not ikely as active as one in the West, save a moose hunt maybe.

Taditional whitetail gear tends to be too warm and bulky for this style of hunting. I think I'm looking for something similar to what OP is.

I Don't need a softshell for the early season. Just something to protect my wool baselayer (Peleton 240ish)

As it cools down I'm looking to add something on top of that, that is still for abrasion resistance a touch more insulated and weather resistant. So baselayer plus shell and if I decided to hang or sit for a while have packable insulation with me if needed. Similar to a western style setup. So it doesn't need to cover 70 degrees F to 0F. But maybe 45-50ish to 15-20ish. With the help of a layer or 2.

Due to the activity range breathability is important but so is a good measure of weather protection so pit zips would be a priority and venting on pants like the thlete pants would be good.

Oh and if it's not too much of an ask maybe pay the odd bill and cut the grass.

Never got into the soft shell thing. They just don’t do it for me. I’m a puffy jacket and hardshell guy

soft shells don’t provide enough warmth for their weight

renagde

WKR
I'm loving this conversation. I am struggling as well with finding a decent softshell or 80-90% solution jacket. I am an "active" eastern hunter, I have no real permanent setups. I am aware that an active hunter in the East is still not ikely as active as one in the West, save a moose hunt maybe.

Taditional whitetail gear tends to be too warm and bulky for this style of hunting. I think I'm looking for something similar to what OP is.

I Don't need a softshell for the early season. Just something to protect my wool baselayer (Peleton 240ish)

As it cools down I'm looking to add something on top of that, that is still for abrasion resistance a touch more insulated and weather resistant. So baselayer plus shell and if I decided to hang or sit for a while have packable insulation with me if needed. Similar to a western style setup. So it doesn't need to cover 70 degrees F to 0F. But maybe 45-50ish to 15-20ish. With the help of a layer or 2.

Due to the activity range breathability is important but so is a good measure of weather protection so pit zips would be a priority and venting on pants like the thlete pants would be good.

Oh and if it's not too much of an ask maybe pay the odd bill and cut the grass.
I used the Sitka Jetstream in this role last season during archery season on the East coast. Generally on a hot day, I was wearing a base layer like the Sitka Core lightweight long sleeve. On colder days I had my Apex hoodie over top of that. Once in my tree I put my Jetstream jacket on and that kept me comfortable down to probably 50 or so. If I got cold, I was able to layer a puffy underneath and I was toasty. Once it got down to 35 or 40 I swapped my Jetstream for my Fanatic jacket and when it got down to single digits I put it all together (minus the puffy) and had no problem staying warm.

Cb750

FNG
O have no experience with sitka but have looked at the jetstream for this role.

I find hard shells too loud for bow hunting. BUT I don't have much experience with quality ones.

Last edited: