Best solar charger?

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Powermonkey explorer to take with me in the backcountry. Just wanted your thoughts on this or another solar charger that might be better for charging my IPhone and GoPro

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
What is the price on that? The Powermonkey is $89 and 14oz. and the reviews are pretty good but ill have to check the Trent out. Thanks Aaron

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks Aaron, I just checked out the link and that is much better especially for me having the iPhone 5. It saves me $20 and 5oz. This is why I love this site

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Goal Zero. I like it, always has worked and durable. But I don't have any thing to compare it to. Has an LED reading light, charges anything with a USB, and has a battery pack that you can put 4 AA or AAA batteries in. Then you can use the pack to charge an item in the dark, or take the batteries and throw them in GPS or headlamp or whatever.

Guys, I have to put my vote on the goal zero solar charger. These things will charge about anything. In good sun i can recharge my Garmin Rino in 4-5 hours. The Goal Zero has the adapters to charge most phones as well as your AA, and AAA batteries. This is my second year using a goal zero and I am totally satisified with the unit. Spring bear hunting where we typically spot a bear then leave a guy behind with a spotting scope and radio to guide the other in. In this situation I will burn through a set of batteries on my rhino in 2 days. It was so nice to always come back to our bivy site and have freshly charged batteries, assuming you have sun of course.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
For those that are using the Goal Zero set up to charge Garmin Rino's. What GZ solar panel are you using? What Rino are you charging? I have a Rino 655t and cannot seem to charge it with my GZ Nomad 7 solar panel. I know I can use the Guide pack to recharge AA batteries and use them in the AA battery pack with the Rino, but I get much better performance out of my 655t with the lithium-ion battery.

The GZ Nomad 7 charges phones, ipods and other smaller items extremely well. Even if there is a light amount of clouds.

Thanks

jherald

WKR
Guys, I have to put my vote on the goal zero solar charger. These things will charge about anything. In good sun i can recharge my Garmin Rino in 4-5 hours. The Goal Zero has the adapters to charge most phones as well as your AA, and AAA batteries. This is my second year using a goal zero and I am totally satisified with the unit. Spring bear hunting where we typically spot a bear then leave a guy behind with a spotting scope and radio to guide the other in. In this situation I will burn through a set of batteries on my rhino in 2 days. It was so nice to always come back to our bivy site and have freshly charged batteries, assuming you have sun of course.

Gobbler, where you hunting bears at? Sorry to get off topic guys.

+1 on the goal zero. I have one and i use it to charge my I phone where power isn't available. I have a ballistics app on there and its worth carrying it to keep the app running. Music and games arent bad either when your socked in. Beats cards and books.

Last season, I used a Suntactics sCharger-5 seen here...
http://www.suntactics.com/
It worked very well (and with no issues I might add) for my iPhone 4G.
It is very light, and small enough that finding a place to pack it is not a problem.
The price has gone up since I bought it last May, but it is a great USB solar charger.