Best Spotting Scope under $1,000.

Mpruitt86

FNG
I just picked up the Razor HD Gen 1 at Sportsman's Warehouse in Loveland, CO for $750(display price didn't match computer price). Screaming deal in my opinion. It is still on the site for $900. Hard to beat in that sub $1000 range you're looking for.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...hd-20-60-x-85-spotting-scope-angled/p/1232811
Are you happy with it? It seems like that is hard to beat for under 1500? What else were you considering? Im looking at the gen 2 version but it's tough to swallow that pill for nearly double the price.

longjoshr

FNG
I am very happy with it. After using it a bit, I like the focus knobs up top. I have a smaller Cabela's Krotos with the focus wheel around the body of the spotter, and it is annoying with a case on. That focus wheel on the Gen 1 is right where I want it. To be honest, I wasn't looking, but that was too good a deal to pass up. Looks like it dropped to $800 on there now too.

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
Did you find one yet? Not mine, don't know the seller, but I thought of this thread when I saw it listed.

This should smoke any of the Athlon, Vortex, or lower end Maven options. Better optically (though maybe closer than one would expect), and much better built and not made in
Did you find one yet? Not mine, don't know the seller, but I thought of this thread when I saw it listed.

This should smoke any of the Athlon, Vortex, or lower end Maven options. Better optically (though maybe closer than one would expect), and much better built and not made in China.
In your opinion would you say that the silver first gen diascopes would outperform the second gen razors and the higher end Leupold glass?

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
In your opinion would you say that the silver first gen diascopes would outperform the second gen razors and the higher end Leupold glass?
Say NO to straight body scopes. Angle only. Anyone who says different doesn’t spend much time looking through one. The only time straight bodies work is sitting in your truck with a window mount. Your neck will thank me later.

Deadfall

WKR
Say NO to straight body scopes. Angle only. Anyone who says different doesn’t spend much time looking through one. The only time straight bodies work is sitting in your truck with a window mount. Your neck will thank me later.
Amen

grizz19

Lil-Rokslider
😂😂 I’ve had both and the straight doesn’t seem to bother me that much. Really not much different that putting binos on a tripod 🤷🏻‍♂️ I was just more worried about the glad quality. From what I can tell even an old diascope would beat out my razor any day lol

BBob

WKR
I own a
I own and use both and have for many years. In different situations one or the other will have advantages and disadvantages and I myself can't proclaim one is better than the other. And yeah, yeah I know you can swivel the angled scope and look sideways through it, I'm very proficient at that ;) For most of my Coues hunting I'd choose straight, for sheep generally angled. Terrain for me has a lot to do with it.

As to the question asked, a fair number of lower cost Nikon's I've looked through were very good for the price. The birding community used to like them a lot. That said I've not spent much time behind the lower cost scopes so I don't know how they all stack up against one another.