Best Stainless 375 H&H for Alsakan Brown Bear

snipe10

FNG
Wish Dakota made an all-weather Model 76, everyone says you should have a CRF rifle for DG but not sure if I need that since to hunt big bears in Alaska, you need a guide. Still would like to have a nice stainless/synthetic 375 H&H. I know Ruger makes the Alaskan but haven't ever held one. Anyone have any ideas other than having something built?

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t had any experience with either but have heard a lot of good things about the ruger you mentioned as well as the kimber talkeenta

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I know you asked specifically for stainless but I have an old Whitworth (Mauser clone) in .375 H&H. I bought it used and the original owner had a bunch of work done to it. It sits in a really nice laminated stock and all of the metal has been Parkerized so it keeps the classic dangerous game rifle look but is very weatherproof.
If you find a blued rifle you like, I would seriously look into this for weatherproofing it. I had Alamo Precision Rifles price out a CRF stainless custom .375 for me. It was going to be awesome but WAY higher then going this route.

Attachments

• 6B86A615-E043-434B-944A-AD24C86C3115.jpeg
    6B86A615-E043-434B-944A-AD24C86C3115.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 99

PNWGATOR

WKR
Get ahold of D’Arcy Echols and have him put something together for you. If he can build rifles to meet the Shoemaker’s expectations in a dangerous game rifle, I’m sure you’d be happy.

Love my semi - custom Mauser and won't change a thing about it. I got easy $3500 into that build, but if I was to do it again, I would use the easy button and go Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger and used the extra coin for more hunts lol

idig4au

WKR
I bought a browning a-bolt stainless synthetic in .375 H&H for exactly the same purpose and it fits the bill nicely for me. It’s a nice workhorse rifle and I didn’t see the need for a more expensive or custom rifle for this type of hunting.

ldmay375

FNG
Wish Dakota made an all-weather Model 76, everyone says you should have a CRF rifle for DG but not sure if I need that since to hunt big bears in Alaska, you need a guide. Still would like to have a nice stainless/synthetic 375 H&H. I know Ruger makes the Alaskan but haven't ever held one. Anyone have any ideas other than having something built?
The only stainless that I assume is still in production in the Kimber Talkeetna.
The used market has the Winchester M70 Classic and the defunct Montana Rifle Company stainless 375 H&Hs.
Not an H&H but the stainless 20” barrel 375 Ruger Alaskan without muzzle brake is also a used market item. This is one of my favorite rifles with an aftermarket stock added.
Edited to add: I did not think about the Browning mentioned above.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not many off the shelf stainless 375HH options at the moment. The one you are most likely to find is the browning xbolt. The Kimber talkeetna and the m70 stainless classic are about as good as it gets for factory rifles but good luck finding either one of those. The m70 is out of production and the talkeetna is tough to find. Kimber just moved and I don’t know if they even did a run of talkeetnas yearly as it was.

If you can find an older stainless Remington or an xcr/xcr2, those are good, especially if you send the bolt out to get welded up. If you look around you might be able to find a m70 stainless classic but it will probably be close to 2k in today’s market. I found one a few years back and paid like 1300 dollars for it, I thought it was a score.

I’ve been all up and down this and the bottom line is that you can buy an xbolt, search patiently, or go with some sort of a custom. Your only other choice is to get a 375ruger. Ruger, savage, gunwerks all make those.

I may be forgetting a thing or two but options are very Limited for stainless 375HH rifles at the moment.

Another option would be to look for something in 338 win mag, you might have better luck.

Edit: you might be able to find a sako kodiak on gunbroker, thats stainless with a laminate stock.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Search high and low, maybe you can find one of these…that’s my m70 stainless classic. Trade you for a pristine ventures legend raft….lol.

Attachments

• 23370A91-C31D-4D3E-87D4-F6445420CE5B.jpeg
    23370A91-C31D-4D3E-87D4-F6445420CE5B.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 89

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an Interarms Mark 10 that was used by a guide in Alaska for several years. At this point the rifle has spent at least 6 months in the bush and still looks great.

Sometimes we forget that people used to take a wood stocked Mauser on expeditions that lasted months.

Grab an old Interarms, oil it, throw a good stock on it, and go kill a bear!