Best State for Active Duty OTC Archery?

scubaguns

FNG
Just started planning my first Elk Hunt for 2021 (2020 we’ll be overseas), and I’m going with an archery OTC Tag as of now. Flexibility is real important as leave/vacation days are not guaranteed, so targeting specific dates is a big risk. i have to take what I can get between various training events and the like

That being said, I’m an flat lander currently in GA with only Whitetail hunting experience, and I figure this is going to be a multi-year endeavor. I’m also open to mule deer if that’s a more feasible option, with the end goal of refining western hunting skills for elk.

The Colorado and Idaho OTC archery seasons seem to be the most favorable for my situation, and I don’t mind putting the physical work in now and there in the field for better opportunities. If y’all know of other states that have similar OTC opportunities and seasons, I’m open to anything.

Additionally, if anybody know of good hunts that fall in the summer or holiday block leave timeframes, I’d be real interested in those.

Please let me know your thoughts, any advice is welcome.

Thanks all

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Due to the fact that your dates need to be fluid, I would say Montana. You can hunt all season long with any weapon. Buy a NR Combo preference point this Aug/Sept, then buy another one with your application in March of 2021 so you will have the max of 2. You will draw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
If you want to hunt elk, hunt elk. You'll learn camping skills hunting deer, but not a lot more. At least, not during archery season. Very different hunts. Later season, when glass gets the game, or tracking in snow, they become a lot more similar.

I agree with Doc. Pick the state with the longest season to help with your schedule. MT has a long season and good hunting. It's worth getting the point to open up your options, IMO. Colorado is an option up to the first day of the season, so that is the guaranteed backup.

Jeremy

Like others have said, Montana would be your best option being that you won’t be hunting until 2021.

If you were planning for this year then I’d say Idaho would be your best bet.

My first recomendation would be to find out a way to become a resident of a state that has elk. Number one suggestion would be to attempt to get stationed in AZ, as you'll be able to purchase a lifetime hunting license (big perks here) and they dont charge state taxes to AD.

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
My first recomendation would be to find out a way to become a resident of a state that has elk. Number one suggestion would be to attempt to get stationed in AZ, as you'll be able to purchase a lifetime hunting license (big perks here) and they dont charge state taxes to AD.

Ah dang that’s a sweet deal.

Unfortunately I would have to make it out to Ft. Huachuka, which is highly unlikely for a knuckle-dragging infantryman like myself.

Hopefully down the road though, thanks for the advice!

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
I’ll be overseas this year as well thanks to Uncle Sam... Let’s just say I’m buying points in every state I can this year.

Tough luck brother. Come over to GA and hunt some hogs with me if you miss all your seasons! 24/7 365 for swine down here in the Peach State.

If you don’t mind answering some questions about preference points please PM me. Otherwise good luck out there

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
Due to the fact that your dates need to be fluid, I would say Montana. You can hunt all season long with any weapon. Buy a NR Combo preference point this Aug/Sept, then buy another one with your application in March of 2021 so you will have the max of 2. You will draw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like the way to go. I didn’t consider going the point route so I’m going to have to do some reading up on all that.

Really appreciate it!!!

Carson man. Springs is wild but you get used to it. 4ID is def. harder to handle than 1st ID was. If you get 3rd Brigade At 4ID your life is gonna be meaningless but you do get resident tags, if you ever get to use them. I specifically re-enlisted to see the mountains and hunt elk..... 3ABCT allowed me a total of 3 days the first season because of mid training rotation. Next season was ETS time and I got 3 days of rifle 2nd season. 3ABCT can only go up though now that the punk of a full bird named Simmering is gone. Colorado is pretty amazing though. Now if you go SF and get into 10th Group, maybe those dudes get some more leeway.

7Bartman

WKR
If you're Army I'd figure out a way to get to Ft Carson then. Ft Bliss has tremendous opps for hunting on the McGreagor Range of New Mexico, but its limited in hunt times and opportunity.
Do you have to be stationed there to hunt, or can any AD hunt there?

Ah dang that’s a sweet deal.

Unfortunately I would have to make it out to Ft. Huachuka, which is highly unlikely for a knuckle-dragging infantryman like myself.

Hopefully down the road though, thanks for the advice!
Technically you can file for a change of residence with S1 and put literally any state as your home of record.....Probably be better if you find a relative in a state with elk and put their address as your home of record just so you have some kind of legal backing. Once they start charging you state taxes and it shows on your LES as your residency you are GTG, gl in 2021 and stay safe out there.

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
I was trying to get out to Carson but apparently the army had higher priorities than my hunting preferences. Maybe on the next go-around! Til then I’ll have to stay content with the white tails and hogs that we’ve got here in Stewart and Benning.

3 Days? Man that’s a pretty crazy optempo.

OP
scubaguns

scubaguns

FNG
Technically you can file for a change of residence with S1 and put literally any state as your home of record.....Probably be better if you find a relative in a state with elk and put their address as your home of record just so you have some kind of legal backing. Once they start charging you state taxes and it shows on your LES as your residency you are GTG, gl in 2021 and stay safe out there.

Yeah I was looking into that, but it gets a little sketchy when you haven’t been stationed there yet (and I don’t have family out there). I’m sure you’re right and it can be done pretty easily, but I’d rather not deal with any tax issues that may arise for it. Considering I’m exempt from Ohio state taxes since that’s where my SLR is currently, I’ll probably just leave it at that and spend the refund on out of state tags.

thanks for the tip though, hope to see you out there some day man