Best state for DIY mule deer archery hunt?

KT@QC

FNG
I'd be interested in comments on the best state for DIY archery mule deer hunt, preferably with OTC tags. I've only hunted whitetails in the midwest and Canada until now.

hobbes

WKR
Best state and OTC mule deer tags aren't typically one in the same. I know OTC mule deer tags have been asked about a lot. When I think archery MD, I think high alpine and Colorado, but there are other similar choices I'm sure. They won't be OTC.

There are a lot of states to hunt high country archery mule deer with a minimal amount of points, quite a few of them you can draw with 0 or 1 point.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona has OTC archery mule deer tags. Just get a hunt license, buy the tag, and go hunt. One of the best kept secrets, although realize that it is a very challenging hunt. Finding deer isn't tough, getting to within 50 yards is highly challenging. Let's keep that on the downlow to the folks on here LOl.

dtrkyman

WKR
I got in on the AZ hunts just prior to it blowing up, this past year was a chit show, road hunters, guys with no regard to someone getting to a spot first and many other examples of slob hunters.

I hear from a couple sources they are considering changing from OTC to draw in a popular unit?

Wyoming is points system for Non-Res yes. OTC for general areas for Res and pure random draw for limited quota areas.

Two archery options... do you want to hunt early and high for velvet deer or late and low rutting deer.

completely different experiences

OP
K

KT@QC

FNG
The best state is the one you actually put in the work to learn. Asking questions on the internet does not count as work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thank you for taking the time to comment. I would love to have the luxury of putting in a lot of time to learn different states. I'm a US born ex-pat living outside the US since '92. I've been blessed with the opportunity, in recent years, to do some successful public land whitetail hunts in the midwest during short visits to my home state. (Not a lot of time to scout.)

In those cases, by doing the preliminary "work" of a phone call to wildlife agents, for example, I've been able to save time and at least have a starting point. They were able to point me to a general area. That, combined with satellite imagery aerial scouting has allowed me to get boots on the ground in a promising area, speed scout, and get set up over sign for a successful hang and hunt.

Since I'm looking at possible work related trips out west in the future (i.e. Montana & Wyoming and the region) , I thought I'd ask some guys with experience in case I could carve out some time to combine a hunt. Was just seeing if anyone could share their opinions on a good general direction to look in. From there I'll continue the "work" of research via state wildlife departments etc. For sure, that can never replace boots on the ground and time in the field. But, when you only have so many days to work with, a little preliminary home-work can pay big dividends.

God Bless you and have a great day!

OP
K

KT@QC

FNG
Wyoming is points system for Non-Res yes. OTC for general areas for Res and pure random draw for limited quota areas.
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Good to know, Wyoming was one of the States I may need to be in for other, work related, activities.

OP
K

KT@QC

FNG
Two archery options... do you want to hunt early and high for velvet deer or late and low rutting deer.

completely different experiences
August-September are the most likely months for me to be able to make a trip out West (Combined with other work-related activities.). I'm open to either. It will all depend on when I can actually be able to nail down dates as related to my other responsibilities.

mtnlomo

FNG
The best state is the one you actually put in the work to learn. Asking questions on the internet does not count as work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
^^^ pissed me off to hear my granpa say "the deer are where you find em'" but this is so true and important, as a result of hard work and time in a "difficult" area to hunt in Oregon we (my family and I) have tagged out on a lot of bucks that most Oregon hunters would be envious of. How? Combined over 100+ days, thousands of miles hiked and thousands of hours behind glass. Mule deer are tough, many will be tight lipped about their spots

OP
K

KT@QC

FNG
^^^ pissed me off to hear my granpa say "the deer are where you find em'" but this is so true and important, as a result of hard work and time in a "difficult" area to hunt in Oregon we (my family and I) have tagged out on a lot of bucks that most Oregon hunters would be envious of. How? Combined over 100+ days, thousands of miles hiked and thousands of hours behind glass. Mule deer are tough, many will be tight lipped about their spots
Super good points. On the other hand, if a guy from Florida Who is used to fishing in the Gulf of Mexico contacts me and says he’s going to be in Missouri & would like to try his hand at trout fishing, I can point him in the right direction.

Growing up in Missouri, my dad and I logged thousands of miles on Missouri trout streams. (i.e. In my opinion the 11 point, the upper Current, and the Upper Meremec are your best options) I could even tell him the the best put in and take outs, what island to camp on and who to call to arrange a shuttle.

Trout are not native to Missouri so, 10 miles north or south on any of these streams makes all the difference. Get on the wrong section of the stream and there es 0% chance of success.

My point is, I don’t mind helping guys out so that the precious little time they might have to spend on an out of state trip is the most fruitful.

But, as you eluded to, that won’t take the place of anyone making their own efforts and putting in their own time.

Thanks for the fun discussion. 😊 Happy Hunting!