Best state for first hunt

I was looking to try my first ever bear hunt and wanted to get some opinions on what states people recommend for someone's first hunt who is wanting to learn more about bear hunting. I have narrowed it down to Maine or Idaho. They are both about the same drive from where I live. SO anybody that has hunted both which state so you prefer and why? Is there another state like Montana that you would recommend? Looking also for a state that offers multiple ways to hunt: bait, spot and stalk, hounds. I know no hunt is guaranteed and understand that there is always a chance you wont get one I'm just wanting to pick the best destination that offers the best experience. As far as guides I was looking at Korrell Outfitters in Idaho and Spaulding Lake Outfitters in Maine. Any opinions on those guides or other recommendations are also welcomed. Online research can really take you down a black hole so thought this was the best place to get real opinions. lol.

I was looking to try my first ever bear hunt and wanted to get some opinions on what states people recommend for someone's first hunt who is wanting to learn more about bear hunting. I have narrowed it down to Maine or Idaho. They are both about the same drive from where I live. SO anybody that has hunted both which state so you prefer and why? Is there another state like Montana that you would recommend? Looking also for a state that offers multiple ways to hunt: bait, spot and stalk, hounds. I know no hunt is guaranteed and understand that there is always a chance you wont get one I'm just wanting to pick the best destination that offers the best experience. As far as guides I was looking at Korrell Outfitters in Idaho and Spaulding Lake Outfitters in Maine. Any opinions on those guides or other recommendations are also welcomed. Online research can really take you down a black hole so thought this was the best place to get real opinions. lol.

Maine is flat and lots of trees for the most part. Idaho is the toughest and roughest country in the lower 48.. you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to decide what type of hunt you want - bait, hounds, spot and stalk, etc. If your looking for bait or hounds in Maine consider Allagash Guide Service (Brandon Lane). I hunted there a few years ago and had a great time. Both me and my hunting partner got nice bears. His was over bait and mine was with hounds. They have several bear hunt types/options to choose from (bait/hounds/trapping/guided/semi-guided). Allagash is pretty much at the northern most point in Maine so it will be a good drive no matter where you are coming from. Good luck to you!

If you want a DIY spot and stalk hunt and don't plan to use bait or hounds, I'd pick Montana hands down. Reason being, you won't have bait or hounds to deal with and there are a lot of bears. If you want to use bait or hounds, then go to Maine. It's easier country to follow hounds through. Chasing hounds in Idaho is way harder than most sheep hunts I've been on.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you want a DIY spot and stalk hunt and don't plan to use bait or hounds, I'd pick Montana hands down. Reason being, you won't have bait or hounds to deal with and there are a lot of bears. If you want to use bait or hounds, then go to Maine. It's easier country to follow hounds through. Chasing hounds in Idaho is way harder than most sheep hunts I've been on.
Hound hunting for bears is now legal in MT!!!! No baiting but they just passed hound hunting last year.

Trial153

WKR
Maine average bear is less then 200 pounds or so. I am not sure how that compares to other areas in the lower 48 that don’t have suburban areas to skew the average. Most outfitters in maine will get lot of strikes off bait sights, just something to keep in mind, it may or may not matter to you. We are about 50/50 treed to baying over the years. The density is excellent in many places however the trophy potential varies greatly.

JMailbox8

FNG
DIY hunting doesn’t have to be challenging if you want something closer, just need to apply the right techniques. Pennsylvania has a decent bear population with some good size. The population, especially near the New Jersey boarder is growing. I got my first bear in Vermont at the top of a mountain on the edge of where a ski trail met the forest. Most ski mountains are public land with leased rights for maintaining trails. Those trails are great places to hunt during bear season as they form great shooting lanes and edges that provide plant diversity, including berries.

DIY hunting doesn’t have to be challenging if you want something closer, just need to apply the right techniques. Pennsylvania has a decent bear population with some good size. The population, especially near the New Jersey boarder is growing. I got my first bear in Vermont at the top of a mountain on the edge of where a ski trail met the forest. Most ski mountains are public land with leased rights for maintaining trails. Those trails are great places to hunt during bear season as they form great shooting lanes and edges that provide plant diversity, including berries.
Interesting you mentioned Pennsylvania. It has some big bears. This year the largest was over 700 lbs and like 8 others were over 600 with a total harvest of like 3600. I believe the bear population is around 16,000 or so. Bait and dogs are not allowed. Most are killed off of large drives. It is a challenging state to kill a bear in.

JMailbox8

FNG
Interesting you mentioned Pennsylvania. It has some big bears. This year the largest was over 700 lbs and like 8 others were over 600 with a total harvest of like 3600. I believe the bear population is around 16,000 or so. Bait and dogs are not allowed. Most are killed off of large drives. It is a challenging state to kill a bear in.
Do you know if it’s legal to hunt on power line openings on public land in PA? They usually are full of berries up in the mountains. And they can be pretty open for a spot end stalk opportunity.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Pa bear hunting is difficult, no baiting, no hounds. Mostly its large groups who put on drives that take most of the bears.

Me and a buddy hunted with MidMaine outfitters in the spring of 2020 and with Korell outfitters in the spring of 2021. Honestly, both hunts were awesome with habitat and color of the bears being the real big difference. Both hunts were baited and far from a sure thing. I was successful in Maine and my buddy got one in Idaho. I didn’t even see a bear the first five days in Idaho, then blew a 350y shot on a real beauty of a blond bear nowhere near the bait on day six. After 60 plus hours of sitting on stand, I rushed a shot I practice all the time. Makes me sick just thinking about it. But I digress, I’d hunt with korells if you were looking for a hound hunt and with midmaine if you wanted to hunt over bait.

Do you know if it’s legal to hunt on power line openings on public land in PA? They usually are full of berries up in the mountains. And they can be pretty open for a spot end stalk opportunity.
As far as I know if you are on public land that is open to hunting, and a powerline crosses through it, you can hunt on it. However I have seen sections of private land mixed in with public land cross over powerlines. These areas are usually posted with signs though.

Imma just say bear hunting in NC is pretty great if you do it with dogs. Lots of big black bears and you can hunt them over bait if you prefer. I’ve not heard of spot and stalking them much, but it’s pretty similar chasing them around in a briar thicket, just not as much spotting as there is listening to where the dogs are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same interests as the OP. I know MT can be good, and I've also heard WY is a good pick. My preference would be spot and stalk for large bear out West somewhere.

Honyock

WKR
If you want a legitimate chance on a 7 ft + black bear go to Arizona. We hunted the White Mountain Apache Reservation in August. Three hunters, three bears, 7'2" (nose to tail) on the first night, a 6'6" and another 7'2" on the third night. Unbelievable the amount of bears and monster elk that we saw.

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpg
    IMG_6713.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 21