Best stove/pot combo

sivart

WKR
I really like the idea of the jet boil pot, in that the fuel canister and stove all fit in the pot. Trying to save room in the pack.

Are there any other brands that have similar design? maybe lighter?

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I think the MSR Windburner is the only other jetboil/knockoff system that is similar. Otherwise, I've found a 750ml pot is able to hold a small canister and stove inside. My personal cook kit is a Toaks 750ml pot with a Soto Amicus stove. I wrap the stove in a bandana to keep it quiet while stored.

I'd imagine you could fit your choice of other lower profile stoves like the BRS 300t/MSR PocketRocket/Soto Windmaster etc inside a 750. I have no experience with any of those stoves.

mlgc20

WKR
I like my Jetboil. But for me, I pretty much only use it at the truck. When I'm backpacking, I will take my 650 Toaks and BRS stove. The 650 will nest a small fuel canister and the BRS stove. Much smaller and lighter than my Jetboil setup. I will sometimes take my Pocket Rocket Deluxe. In that instance, I can't nest both the stove and fuel in the pot.

three5x5s

WKR
dont think you can find the pot at moment but its a good read anyway.

Pocket rocket and GSI kettle. If you do the small canister everything but the pocket rocket itself fits inside the kettle. Also, the kettle makes it easy to pour the water out into your meal.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a jet boil, BRS stove, cheap ebay stoves, alcohol stoves, you name it, and I have it and have used it. If I were you I would buy a BRS stove on amazon and a Toaks 750 ml titanium cup and be done. Super light, very cheap.

I only use my jetboil when base camping from a truck

Last edited:

Mcnasty

FNG
I have been using Snow peak stove and titanium pot for better then 15 years. I think my nesting pot set is pushing 25 years. They now have combo set that appears to be what I carry if its just me. This is for add water only hot meals/coffee not actually cooking anything. small fuel can and stove fit in the cup https://www.snowpeak.com/collections/cooksets/products/starter-kit-scs-005tk
The nesting pot set is good if you need more water for more folks. I usually just carry the large pot it fits the larger fuel cans as well. This is a newer version of what I have but look similar in size etc. https://www.snowpeak.com/collections/cooksets/products/ti-multi-compact-cookset
I also add a lighter even with the build in igniter and MSR wind screen if it's cold weather or altitude to get the most efficiency out of the fuel cans. This is not recommended by the manufactures and can be dangerous it the can gets too hot (be smart).
also second the bandana or something to keep it from rattling inside
No experience with the BRS and Tocas combo folks are recommending looks to be a lese expensive and close on weight alternative to what I have had for many years. In all those years I have had 2 failures, one the stove from being left out over night and the burner was saturated with water taking about an hr to dry out before it would finally light and one failure of the valve on the can. In this case only had the one can so I always carry at least 2 cans usually the partial one from the last trip (that I know works) and a fresh one sized depending the length of the trip and conditions. All that said in my mind, its not a lot space saving over the jet boil if you already have and like that system. good luck

Last edited:

Rock-o

WKR
A MSR Pocket Rocket 2 Mini along with a small fuel canister, a lighter, and the pot holder thingy fits inside of a 750 ml kettle.

snow peak stove, toaks 750 titanium pot and lid and 2 small fuel canisters. I always test the fuel canisters beause they sometimes don't screw in perfectly, leading to fuel burning inefficiently. Had one spewing gas and making a sputtering flame... test them before you go.

MSR Windburner. Canister and all components fit in the pot. Great stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregonboy

WKR
My current set up is a Snowpeak pot, inside is a can of fuel, lighter, MSR pocket rocket and a bandana. I line the pot with the bandana to keep the noise down and to have a napkin or towel on me. Used it for years without issues.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A year or so ago I switched to a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe (from a 20-ish year old SnowPeak).

The "deluxe" offers a couple of advantages ver the "regular"- it's regulated, which means it's going to perform better in cold weather, has a small built in widescreen- not large, but helps and it burns hotter (ie quicker boils).

It's a great stove (evidently the Soto is very similar) and use it frequently year round (including dead of winter with the addition of a copper strip- "Moulder strip").

I put it in a MSR Titan (850 ml) pot- plenty of room for a small canister, lighter (in case the ignitor doesn't work) and a small microfiber towel.

I think the MSR Windburner is the only other jetboil/knockoff system that is similar. Otherwise, I've found a 750ml pot is able to hold a small canister and stove inside. My personal cook kit is a Toaks 750ml pot with a Soto Amicus stove. I wrap the stove in a bandana to keep it quiet while stored.

I'd imagine you could fit your choice of other lower profile stoves like the BRS 300t/MSR PocketRocket/Soto Windmaster etc inside a 750. I have no experience with any of those stoves.

This. Simple Toaks 750 with bail. MSR Pocket Rocket deluxe and 8 oz can fit inside. Way lighter and you can cook over a fire if necessary. I still own a Jetboil. Great system for car camping, but unnecessarily heavy as well as not fit for campfire cooking. Not appropriate for backpack camping for me.

Last edited:

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I switched away from the jet boil last year. Now I use a toaks 750 and one of those cheap folding esbit stoves. I’m pretty happy with it. Lighter and a little less bulky. I make my own dehydrated meals and one fuel tab will boil exactly enough water for one two serving meal.

7mm

FNG
This. Simple Toaks 750 with bail. MSR Pocket Rocket deluxe and 8 oz can fit inside. Way lighter and you can cook over a fire if necessary. I've owned the Jetboil. Great system for car camping, but unnecessarily heavy as well as not fit for campfire cooking. Not appropriate for backpack camping for me.
I also run this setup. Very light and versatile.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
After a decade with Jetboil, I went to the Snow Peak with a 650ml TOAKS Ti. The size is way compact and a significant drop in weight. It did seem to take longer to boil water, but nothing I'm losing sleep over. I like the setup and glad I switched. The Jetboil was more stable it seems, but I'm a convert. Thanks Josh, from @DialedInHunter !