Best stove

*zap*

WKR
polaris optimus offers liquid fuel, canister fuel and propane 1# bottle if you get an adapter. I also use msr whisperlite and dragonfly. In winter I like the optimus and propane but I use them all.

archp625

WKR
Thinking about it, but I do like the option of multi fuel liquid stoves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cannot speak on the multi fuel stoves. I have never owned one. I bought a new MSR pocketrocket 2 last year and it worked great. My brother has the original pocket pocket and his has been flawless for years.

If you want lightweight get a MSR pocket rocket and a Ti Pot (Toaks or Snowpeak).

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate simplicity and light weight is Trangia alcohol stove and something like a Clikstand. There is nothing to go wrong with it and you can use it in a tent vestibule if really socked in. The harder the wind blows the hotter they get. Work in all weather except very cold (hard to get alcohol to light unless you heat the trangia in your pocket a bit).

For canister any of the big brands all work the same. I have a Snopeak gigapower which I've used for years, but again they are all mostly the same. Again you can use in a vestibule if you really had to without too much worry. Keep ventilation open and be aware of potential carbon monoxide risk.

If you are going high and cold then buy good quality canisters that have a mixture to handle colder temps. Otherwise you can put it in your jacket or sleeping bag for a bit to keep it going.

White gas stoves are bottom of the list unless I'm melting lots of snow. Even then I don't like pump fuel stoves as they have a lot of moving parts. Only have used them sparingly and usually alcohol stoves or canister is more than enough. White gas stoves are also by far the most dangerous. If you want a bad burn in the back country a white gas pump stove is a good way to get one. Never use white gas stoves in or near a tent.

If you like white gas stoves, the old Svea 123 is as close to bombproof as you will ever find in that type of fuel. Despite what people think they are not really heavier than pump multifuel stoves once you put in pump weight, foil screens, repair kits, etc. that the Svea doesn't need.

Last edited:
OP
Thegoatinboots
Ultimate simplicity and light weight is Trangia alcohol stove and something like a Clikstand. There is nothing to go wrong with it and you can use it in a tent vestibule if really socked in. The harder the wind blows the hotter they get. Work in all weather except very cold (hard to get alcohol to light unless you heat the trangia in your pocket a bit).

For canister any of the big brands all work the same. I have a Snopeak gigapower which I've used for years, but again they are all mostly the same. Again you can use in a vestibule if you really had to without too much worry. Keep ventilation open and be aware of potential carbon monoxide risk.

If you are going high and cold then buy good quality canisters that have a mixture to handle colder temps. Otherwise you can put it in your jacket or sleeping bag for a bit to keep it going.

White gas stoves are bottom of the list unless I'm melting lots of snow. Even then I don't like pump fuel stoves as they have a lot of moving parts. Only have used them sparingly and usually alcohol stoves or canister is more than enough. White gas stoves are also by far the most dangerous. If you want a bad burn in the back country a white gas pump stove is a good way to get one. Never use white gas stoves in or near a tent.

If you like white gas stoves, the old Svea 123 is as close to bombproof as you will ever find in that type of fuel. Despite what people think they are not really heavier than pump multifuel stoves once you put in pump weight, foil screens, repair kits, etc. that the Svea doesn't need.

Fair points, though I’ve climbed many mountains and had my trusty XGK I’ve definitely used it in my vestibule and never manage to burn myself or set fire to anything.

I’ve like the multi fuels for convenience in backwards countries where gas wasn’t available but liquid fuel of some sort was.

Used solid fuels in the army but I’ll leave that shit right there.....

I’ll look into a couple of the light weight gas burners, I’ve been eyeing off jetboils for a while, but I’ll take a look at the ones you mentioned. I’ll always have the XGK. It’s never failed so far, bit extreme for hunting, great for mountaineering.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
x 2 on the pocket rocket. Simple, compact and reliable. Had a pocket rocket for a long time and every year I say I'm going to upgrade but never seem to get to it. Before I know it, the old pocket rocket has another season under its belt

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Pocket Rocket with a snow peak 700ml cup has been great for me. Fuel, Stove and collapsible cup fit perfectly inside and it's about half the size of a jetboil.

That being said, having the pot lock onto the stove is a nice feature of the jetboil

I've got a lot of stoves and the Soto Windmaster with either a Evernew Ti Pot or modified Jetboil Ti pot has been on many trips. Added a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe to the mix recently, which is basically the Soto Windmaster setup with built in pot supports and a piezo. I'll test that out before it goes on a long trip, since the Soto has been bombproof. Have the XGK for winter stuff and massive snow and cold weather conditions. There are several other Optimus type multi fuel stoves I've used and a couple Snow Peak Isobutane setups as well. The MSR Reactor is great until you trip the overheat protection. Once that happens on a trip, you're left carrying around dead weight. Might look into the Windmaster instead, since it has a reset on the overheat device. I loved my Reactor up until that happened and now I'm very leery of it.

Mosby

WKR
I have a MSR Reactor that I use a lot. In my MSR Titan cook kit I switched my stove to a Kovea Spider for my primary. It is small, stable and I can turn the canister upside down and use down to 0 degrees. I also have a windmaster that works well but I prefer the Spider. With those two, I haven't needed to use my multi fuel at all.

Mosby

WKR
I've got a lot of stoves and the Soto Windmaster with either a Evernew Ti Pot or modified Jetboil Ti pot has been on many trips. Added a MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe to the mix recently, which is basically the Soto Windmaster setup with built in pot supports and a piezo. I'll test that out before it goes on a long trip, since the Soto has been bombproof. Have the XGK for winter stuff and massive snow and cold weather conditions. There are several other Optimus type multi fuel stoves I've used and a couple Snow Peak Isobutane setups as well. The MSR Reactor is great until you trip the overheat protection. Once that happens on a trip, you're left carrying around dead weight. Might look into the Windmaster instead, since it has a reset on the overheat device. I loved my Reactor up until that happened and now I'm very leery of it.
I didn't know about the overheat protection. Hasn't happened to me yet but I need to look into that.

Mosby,
Yeah, I didn't realize that feature either until I did some reading online about other people having the same problem. Now the thing has to be sent back to MSR to be fixed. I'm sure glad I had my XGK with me as well on that trip.

JClark

FNG
MSR reactor, lights every time even in high altitudes, had for years, never let me down

T28w

WKR
Does the windburner remote burner have the same trip and reset as the solo one? I don’t remember seeing anything about it in the manual.