Best strategy for tall, wet grass?

FlyGuy

WKR
Just wondering if anyone else has worked out a good system already for this?

I drew an archery Nilgai tag in far South TX for December. I did the hunt last year and found that I often had to cover long stretches through waist tall coastal grasses that were covered in early morning dew, which had me soaked to the bone very quickly. It’s typically not too cold down there near the border. Occasionally in December the early mornings can be too chilly to be that wet; however most times it’s so warm that rain gear very quickly soaks you from the inside. These are mandatory day hunts, btw.

Option 1 - standard rain pants and gaiters

Option 2 - go commando beneath the rain pants and gaiters, pack dry pants in.

Option 3 - just wear some like workout shorts, pack my hunting clothes and change when the sun dries everything up?

Option 4 - (what I did last year) get soaked, Deal with it. Find a spot to dry out after you’ve spooked the herd

dcef3ba9bba88d9cb0e6a099bb100691.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Give the ECWCS Gore tex pants a look. They are plenty loose which keeps them cool and they're what I wear when I know I'm going to get wet. They don't ever soak through. They are easy to get on and off over my boots and super waterproof.

Otherwise I'd go commando under my rain gear and have breathable pants to put on after the sun comes out.

22lr

WKR
I'm in Alaska and can get away with more layers more easily, but I wear the ECWS Gen III pants with gaiters over them. They are not super quiet but they are pretty bomb proof (reinforced knees and seat) for thick brush and they keep me dry. There is a lighter weight version (APECs is what I always called em, but dont remember the actual name off the top of my head) and they were designed for warmer weather. But they are not as durable, and I never bothered buying em as the original pair works good enough for me... and im in Alaska were its not super hot... so...

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if anyone else has worked out a good system already for this?

I drew an archery Nilgai tag in far South TX for December. I did the hunt last year and found that I often had to cover long stretches through waist tall coastal grasses that were covered in early morning dew, which had me soaked to the bone very quickly. It’s typically not too cold down there near the border. Occasionally in December the early mornings can be too chilly to be that wet; however most times it’s so warm that rain gear very quickly soaks you from the inside. These are mandatory day hunts, btw.

Option 1 - standard rain pants and gaiters

Option 2 - go commando beneath the rain pants and gaiters, pack dry pants in.

Option 3 - just wear some like workout shorts, pack my hunting clothes and change when the sun dries everything up?

Option 4 - (what I did last year) get soaked, Deal with it. Find a spot to dry out after you’ve spooked the herd

dcef3ba9bba88d9cb0e6a099bb100691.jpg

I'll be down at Laguna in November. Luckily going with a friend that has experience.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Give the ECWCS Gore tex pants a look. They are plenty loose which keeps them cool and they're what I wear when I know I'm going to get wet. They don't ever soak through. They are easy to get on and off over my boots and super waterproof.

Otherwise I'd go commando under my rain gear and have breathable pants to put on after the sun comes out.

Thanks. I appreciate the response from you and others. It feels like such a stupid question, but the very specific micro climate of this particular area and the very strict hunt rules (it’s conducted on a Federal Wildlife Reserve) make this a real logistical challenge! Getting soaked to start your day is no way to live.

I’ve never heard of those ECWCS pants before. Very affordable too! All the native fauna in this part of TX wants to hurt you. It’s all thorns and spikes and sharp edges and way hard on gear, so these might just fit the bill. I have some Sitka dew point pants that work great and was planning to use them; but I’ve been worried they would get shredded in that environment.

rayporter

WKR
1602005768952.png
these are pretty handy. if you get wet they ventilate out the top well to dry and if its hot you can often wear them for the same reason.

*zap*

WKR
^ I use chaps......best thing for this. Keep boots drier with gaiters on under the chaps.

NLHoks

FNG
^^ Another vote for the chaps with gaiters, I run into the same problem early season deer hunting here in SD and have found them to work the best. They hold up well against thorns and cacti, are relatively quiet compared to most rain pants, and easy to zip on/off. When the dew burns off I take the chaps off and hang them on my pack to dry out.

Hondo

WKR
I hunt often in the Texas Coastal Plains area and am more than familiar with the morning dew and subsequent hot wet sauna that results when the sun comes out and how frustrating it can be to avoid getting soaked from the outside and/or inside. Many folks that haven't hunted in that area don't realize that you might encounter a 90+ degree heat index even in December and wearing something that doesn't wick can make an uncomfortable day far worse.

I'm still seeking the perfect solution but when it is really warm I find that wearing gaiters over pants that wick well provides the most comfortable compromise between the wet from the inside or wet from the outside tradeoff. My lower legs and feet are still going to sweat but less that it would be with chaps or most upland pants. When the moisture burns off I can take the gaiters off just the same as with chaps but the gaiters pack better. I've had many pairs of chaps and wear them when it is cooler but they tend to be noisier than gaiters. My issue with most upland pants are that they too tend to be noisy and when the moisture burns off you don't have the option of taking them off unless you are highly emboldened. I do like some nylon faced pants in warm weather. The Patagonia Field pants are a lightweight nylon/spandex pant with a higher denier nylon facing which can effectively shed dew with some added waterproofing treatment yet wick fairly well. They run cooler than most including the First Lite Sawbuck. My son has similar lightweight pants that are from Game Winner, which is one of the store brands of Academy Sports. Not as well constructed but much cheaper.

You're a braver man than I to have taken your pants off down there to dry out, lol. I was supposed to do that hunt in January of this year, but got insanely sick, and missed the trip. My buddies had a great time though.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm no help with your situation but congrats on drawing that tag. I got lucky as well and drew devils river.

Man, that devils River hunt looks amazing! I hope I get to experience it one day! Please let me know how it goes!

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
You're a braver man than I to have taken your pants off down there to dry out, lol. I was supposed to do that hunt in January of this year, but got insanely sick, and missed the trip. My buddies had a great time though.

Haha! Yeah, it was important to stay completely still and not move one inch outside the small circle of dirt I was on. Everything out there - including the plant life - wants to tear you to shreds!

gbflyer

WKR
Simms waders are how we roll. They make some that are just waist high that you wear like pants. But the temps are rarely over 60, 50’s during hunting season. Might not be practical in TX.