best sub $2000 factory hunting rifle

recommendations for a lightweight hunting rifle.... have been looking at the proof elevation which is above 2000 but still an option... have been also looking at the sako 85 finnlight but have heard about some accuracy complaints and ejection issues

(I ended up going with a proof elevation in 6.5 creedmoor) topped it with a night force nxs 2.5-10 moar shoots half moa with factory ammo if I do my part

Last edited:

bluumoon

WKR
How about a Forbes rifle, I've seen some this week for <$1500, granted they've def been hunted with. More or less same design as the Fieldcraft as I understand it. Not sure if there are any issues w them. I've heard NULA will tune them up if needed, but Melvin Forbes is in his 80s so I'd do it sooner than later.

recommendations for a lightweight hunting rifle.... have been looking at the proof elevation which is above 2000 but still an option... have been also looking at the sako 85 finnlight but have heard about some accuracy complaints and ejection issues
Honestly, I don't consider the Finnlight to be a true lightweight rifle. Nice rifles though.

Not sure what kind of reports folks are offering on the new Savage Ultralight with the proof research carbon barrel, but I would expect them to shoot as well or better than anything else on your short list. And they are pretty light for what they are. The new Savage stocks - while not the prettiest - are the best fitting factory stocks I've ever shouldered.

Not sure what kind of reports folks are offering on the new Savage Ultralight with the proof research carbon barrel, but I would expect them to shoot as well or better than anything else on your short list. And they are pretty light for what they are. The new Savage stocks - while not the prettiest - are the best fitting factory stocks I've ever shouldered.
I really like the fit of the new savage stocks as well. The version on the ultralight doesnt have the aluminum bedding block for weight savings which means its a little flimsy on the fore end.

I realized my earlier post didn't make much sense..
Check out the Fierce Fury at 6.8lbs with a .5 moa guarantee https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fierce-firearms-fury-bolt-action-rifle

Or the Seekins PH2 with a Rock Creek barrel

https://www.scopelist.com/Seekins-HAVAK-Pro-Hunter-PH2-65-PRC-24-Rifle-11710059.aspx

I really like the fit of the new savage stocks as well. The version on the ultralight doesnt have the aluminum bedding block for weight savings which means its a little flimsy on the fore end.
I know they feel a bit flimsy on the forend. Same with my LW Storm stocks. The old stocks were even worse IMO. They put some stiffening supports in these new ones. But no, still not a custom fiberglass or Kevlar stiffness, but just as light if not lighter.

I've never had an issue getting sub-MOA performance out of any Savage, with or without the aluminum bedding blocks. I've bedded a number of stocks (Ruger, Howa, Remington) but never had a reason to bed a plastic Savage stock yet.