best sub $2000 factory hunting rifle

Agree - my Savage ultralight in 28 Nosler is a dream to shoot, I also have a Fieldcraft in 6.5 creed and it’s a shooter but not as “easy” for me to shoot it well. Will be buying a 6.5 PRC Savage ultralight as soon as my dealer gets one in. Stock is ugly but that’s what paint is for and the adjustment potential is awesome (6.5 PRC will primarily be sons gun)
They make them in the kuiu verde camo. Just ordered one off of impactguns.com. It was pretty much same price as non camo in 6.5 prc. And agreed It shoots like a dream.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Have look at the Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020. It's being reviewed by a rokslide member as we speak I think, I've seen his posts on here in the last week.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
Another Savage Ultralight fan here, but would also consider Tikka and Bergara, all three make fine rifles.

505Wapiti

WKR
I will add to the Savage ultralight with proof barrel choice many have stated above. I have one that is a dream to shoot as well. I also agree with a previous comment about the tipping point between something that is too light to be accurate with. I don’t like lugging heavy rifles around anymore than most, but I’ve had a few that were just too light, especially in larger magnum calibers that were too hard to squeeze my desired level of accuracy out of. Most of my rifles I take to the mountains with are around the 9-10.5lb range. My Savage ultralight 6.5 with loaded mag, sling, bipod, and scope hits 10lb even and that’s with a brick of a NF scope on it (28oz I believe), but it’s a tack driver.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, I've been too light, and accuracy definitely suffers. I've also got plenty of long range 11+ lb rifles, and they're too much for the mountains.

I've found that for hunting accuracy, 10x serves me well out to 700+ yards. I try to get in the 7.5lb range with a high quality 2-10 scope. Heavy enough I can throw down my rifle on my pack and make a 400 yard shot, and further if not winded from a climb.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
If I were inclined to buy a factory gun, I’d be looking at an action footprint well supported by the aftermarket (aka: R700, maybe Tikka). If the industry standard 13 5/8 inch LOP (or whatever) actually worked for me, I’d add a functional stock design to action quality concerns.

That being said, if I were gonna drop that money on a factory gun, I’d look hard at a Seekins PH2. If their custom shop did custom LOP, I’d already own one at twice the price. The Seekins stock is a riff on the McMillan Game Scout (which was the original stock IIRC before they started making their own in house) and I like that design a lot.

Coming down in price, I’d look at a Bergara. They seem to shoot well, they‘re a 700 footprint. The factory stocks are maybe worthy of something other than the rubbish bin.

Tikkas are great if you’re running a short or mid action cartridge. Really consistent action, good after market support for a non-R700. If injection molded plastic doesn’t bother you, the modular nature of the Tikka stock is a bonus. Definitely as light as I would go, arguably a little too light for some cartridges.

RMP

FNG
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. My .308 is sub MOA with Norma Whitetail 150 grain.

kFlr4aG.jpg

Can’t go wrong with a remington 700 or winchester 70, they’ll last your entire life if you somewhat take care of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunner10

FNG
looking for the same thing in 300 wm. anyone give their opinion on a bergara highlander or premeir mountain stalker. or anything else they think is worthy

03mossy

WKR
I bought a Bergara Wilderness Hunter in .300 win a few months ago. Been shooting it a lot lately just getting used to it and getting brass to start working up loads. I’ve owned a hand full of rifles from different manufacturers but this this is quickly becoming my favorite. Absolutely no regrets trying a Bergara.