best sub $2000 factory hunting rifle

I was holding out for Barrett to roll out their rumored 280AI in the fieldcraft. If I would have know they were going to suspend production to fulfill gov contracts, I would have jumped on a 6.5, 708 or 308 🤦🏻‍♂️

Not as light as my fieldcraft or a kimber, but another worth a look in that price is the Bergara mountain. My friend has one in the older style in 280ai and it's a very nice rifle and shoots lights out.

Really enjoy my Xbolt hells canyon long range with area 419 sidewinder muzzle break. 1 in 8 twist barrel really let's you play with some heavier bullets. Shoots 199 hammers and 212 eldx 1/2 moa and 215 berger around 1/4 moa. Mag box allows 3.6 coal which helps performance compared to factory ammo.

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
If you want light and accurate look at a savage 110 Ultralite. I know there will be grief for even mentioning a savage but they are awesome little guns. They come factory with a proof barrel and blue printed action. Some complain about the stock but I have no issues. Keep in mind I have Christensen Arms rifles, Rem mountain rifles, and few others that cost way more and this rifle is my go to.

With your $2k budget you can get a CF stock, a few goodies to smooth up the action, and even a trigger if you wanted. You'd still be sub 2k and have a rifle that shoots for under 6lbs depending on stock choice.

rickco

FNG
How about a Forbes rifle, I've seen some this week for <$1500, granted they've def been hunted with. More or less same design as the Fieldcraft as I understand it. Not sure if there are any issues w them. I've heard NULA will tune them up if needed, but Melvin Forbes is in his 80s so I'd do it sooner than later.
I own a Forbes 24 in 270 Winchester. Very light, very accurate, great hunting rifle.

Really enjoy my Xbolt hells canyon long range with area 419 sidewinder muzzle break. 1 in 8 twist barrel really let's you play with some heavier bullets. Shoots 199 hammers and 212 eldx 1/2 moa and 215 berger around 1/4 moa. Mag box allows 3.6 coal which helps performance compared to factory ammo.
I love my Xbolts... Both under 2k with optics. I don't like the new models that started in 2020 with the riser. If you want to spend 2k xbolt pro.

Agree - my Savage ultralight in 28 Nosler is a dream to shoot, I also have a Fieldcraft in 6.5 creed and it’s a shooter but not as “easy” for me to shoot it well. Will be buying a 6.5 PRC Savage ultralight as soon as my dealer gets one in. Stock is ugly but that’s what paint is for and the adjustment potential is awesome (6.5 PRC will primarily be sons gun)

coldchow

FNG
Agree - my Savage ultralight in 28 Nosler is a dream to shoot, I also have a Fieldcraft in 6.5 creed and it’s a shooter but not as “easy” for me to shoot it well. Will be buying a 6.5 PRC Savage ultralight as soon as my dealer gets one in. Stock is ugly but that’s what paint is for and the adjustment potential is awesome (6.5 PRC will primarily be sons gun)
Another vote for the savage ultralight.

The simple answer is there is no definitive "best". What makes one person happy, another person will turn their nose up at. Just about all modern manufactured rifles can easily be sub-MOA shooters especially with hand-loads developed (and appropriate user skill).

I personally would recommend a $700-800 rifle, get hand-loads developed and take a one-on-one shooting course. You'll likely be more effective in the field than what you'd get with a $2K rifle (bare bones). Top it all off with a scope that works for you (separate budget).

However, that is me and not necessarily you. Go with whatever floats your boat and strokes your ego (if applicable).

I personally would recommend a $700-800 rifle, get hand-loads developed and take a one-on-one shooting course. You'll likely be more effective in the field than what you'd get with a $2K rifle (bare bones). Top it all off with a scope that works for you (separate budget).
Bingo.

The differences between a $700 and $2000 factory rifle in this day come mostly down to aesthetics. We can argue the effectiveness of carbon wrapping or whatever - but for the average hunter they’re not going to realize any benefits from that aside from “look at my cool carbon barrel” and the money missing from their bank account that they could’ve spent on tags and glass, both of which will help kill more animals than the rifle that costs $1200-1300 more.

Reactions: OMB

Manakh

FNG
When asking opinions on the forum you'll get a wide range of answers. So here's my *opinion*

I think I'm one of the few guys that feels there's such thing as too light...
It could be mental or poor form but I feel I sway less with something not super light if I have to shoot with no rest. And for hunting beyond 400 yards I'll take a heavier gun because at longer distances I feel I'm doing more glassing and less hiking.
I am no expert by all means, and it could be me but I have a couple buddies that say the same thing.

Furthermore like some others already stated I don't feel like there's massive performance differences between $1000 and $2000 rifles. More aesthetics or paying for a lighter gun. I rather save money and get less aesthetics and just spend more money on the glass.

With all that being said I shoot a bergara b14 wilderness hmr more then anything else. And yes it's a freaking tank and everyone I know that's felt it said they'd never hunt with it and I'm crazy. If you're wanting lighter I'd just go with a different b14 wilderness, I am a big guy so the extra weight doesn't bother me and it's what I shoot better with. The b14 wilderness hunter is about 2lbs lighter so that might be a great option to look at.
I've shot plenty of tikas mostly 270 wsm, 308, and 7mag and my personal preference is the bergara.

If I ever decide to go beyond what that bergara gives me then I'll likely leap up to custom and spend a stack of money or get one of the half moa guarantee rifles from Christiansen arms. I only say CA because I have a buddy with one and it's the only rifle of that quality I could shoot and fondle before spending that much money.

When asking opinions on the forum you'll get a wide range of answers. So here's my *opinion*

I think I'm one of the few guys that feels there's such thing as too light...
It could be mental or poor form but I feel I sway less with something not super light if I have to shoot with no rest. And for hunting beyond 400 yards I'll take a heavier gun because at longer distances I feel I'm doing more glassing and less hiking.
I am no expert by all means, and it could be me but I have a couple buddies that say the same thing.

Furthermore like some others already stated I don't feel like there's massive performance differences between $1000 and $2000 rifles. More aesthetics or paying for a lighter gun. I rather save money and get less aesthetics and just spend more money on the glass.

With all that being said I shoot a bergara b14 wilderness hmr more then anything else. And yes it's a freaking tank and everyone I know that's felt it said they'd never hunt with it and I'm crazy. If you're wanting lighter I'd just go with a different b14 wilderness, I am a big guy so the extra weight doesn't bother me and it's what I shoot better with. The b14 wilderness hunter is about 2lbs lighter so that might be a great option to look at.
I've shot plenty of tikas mostly 270 wsm, 308, and 7mag and my personal preference is the bergara.

If I ever decide to go beyond what that bergara gives me then I'll likely leap up to custom and spend a stack of money or get one of the half moa guarantee rifles from Christiansen arms. I only say CA because I have a buddy with one and it's the only rifle of that quality I could shoot and fondle before spending that much money.
You’re not wrong. I had a HMR that shot incredibly well but I couldn’t see dragging a 13lb rifle around so up the road it went. I feel like 8-9lbs is a good spot when you’re taking longer pokes. Light enough that I don’t mind packing it around, heavy enough to be forgiving of shitty field positions.

I had a couple Kimbers before that shot well, but beyond about 400 yards every shot you had to have a PERFECT rest, PERFECT form, and be 100% consistent to get reliable long range accuracy. I don’t know about where anyone else hunts, but I rarely have a perfect rest, I’m always bunched up in one way or another, and the target isn’t always a piece of stationary steel... all lends itself to requiring a heavier, more stable and forgiving platform.