Best Sunglasses for Backcountry Hunting

Shraggs

WKR
Inmo- definitely polarized! And amber or similar brown tinted lens. They help with seeing game by contrast, fish to looking into water. In snow grey is darker and better. Amber will also brighten again thru contrast on those cloudy or foggy days.

I shoot and all the time with them, except a bow. Mine are Maui Jim prescription with a progressive lens and progressive bi-focal have distortion at the far corners and can change alignment to target.

If your headaches are migraines and bright light is a trigger, get polarized for sure. Grey cuts more light, but with a good clear lens amber has many benefits to an outdoorsman.

I tend to destroy glasses so for the last few years ive just purchased tinted safety glasses from the local hardware store. Theyre very light weight and the frames are very durable although the lenses are easy to scratch. While the more expensive ones have much nicer lenses I cant justify the cost of replacing them every year plus if i forget these on a rock on the mountain i dont worry about it.

If I have to have glasses I use safety glasses as well.
You can get them in bulk for around $3
I usually start season with 6 pairs in truck and lucky to make it home with 1.
But alot of times I pull my hat down and put black paint under eyes to reduce glare.

I love my Costas, but they have a green mirrored lens. I've seen a ton of guys wearing their normal "fishing" glasses with the different colored mirrored lenses while hunting, obviously they stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. I didn't want to spend another $200 on a pair of hunting Costas with non mirrored lenses so I picked up a pair of Ozark Trail cheapies from Wal Mart. So far they have been really great, they have a copper polarized lens that actually gathers a lot of light and they were $5.

I have costas and natives , lens quality it’s hard to beat the 580g that costa puts out . But for doing activity’s where I’m moving around a lot I go with the polarized natives , they fit extremely well and don’t move around at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was always a fan of Maui Jim Hookipa but my kids finally told me they were "dad glasses". Ended up with a pair of Magpul Explorers (I wanted polarized, rubber on the nose and arms, and wide enough for my fat head but smaller frames). Had them about 6 months and really liking them. Always been a sunglass snob so they really suprised me.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I used to like Oakleys. I picked up a pair of Costas on Steep and Cheap with the 580p amber lenses for paddling last year for $75. I now wear them for about everything. Fishing, hunting, hiking, driving. The frames are flexible and light and the amber lenses work well for a lot of situations. This year I had a branch from a strainer scratch my cheek below the glasses and forehead above and I thought crap, that's gonna be a huge scratch on the lense...nothing, not a smudge, not a scratch.

Check out Steep and Cheap, they usually have a decent selection of Costas for under $100. My next pair will be another set of Costas

on the topic of "shooting while wearing sunglasses" let me tell this story:
11 y/o grandson has a Browning 1911/.22 I got him, shoots it VERY well - we were out shooting in the woods after a fishing trip, I had picked him up a pair of safety sunglasses at Sanderson Safety Supply (same place I got his clear lens safety glasses) He began shooting and I was getting frustrated because he wasn't hitting at all but form was good as always, dawned on me to try the clear and BINGO, so "something" was refracting or ?? with the sunglasses

Was always a fan of Maui Jim Hookipa but my kids finally told me they were "dad glasses". Ended up with a pair of Magpul Explorers (I wanted polarized, rubber on the nose and arms, and wide enough for my fat head but smaller frames). Had them about 6 months and really liking them. Always been a sunglass snob so they really suprised me.
Maui Jims have always been my "go to" ?