Best synthetic 20 degree sleeping bag for less than $275

Anyone have recommendations for a 20 degree synthetic sleeping bag that cost no more than $275 and weighs less than 4lbs?

Preferably not a mummy style.

I like what I'm seeing with the Kifaru Slick bag, but would like to save some $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
EE rev apex 20 quilt is 200. Awesome piece of kit that fills my early season needs.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
For a 21 deg (32 comfort) I like the Mountain Hardware Flame. The Kifaru ratings on the newer slick bags are closer to the comfort ratings, so a 20 deg is probably somewhere between the Flame and Torch as far as warmth comparison.

Flame:

Access Denied

or

Access Denied

Torch:
Access Denied

or

Access Denied

I agree the Mountain Hardware HyperLamina (20* ~ 43 oz) line is hard to beat for a synthetic. The EE Apex quilts are also solid and look to be about 13 oz lighter, but it's a quilt.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up bags a couple years back and never looked back. If you would consider a quilt, hands down best value is hammock gear econ....just over a pound, $150!

Burrow Econ 20 - Hammock Gear

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
So, does the $275 need to include a pad too? I haven't slept in a ton of backpacking sleeping bags, I have a Big Agnes encampment with Q Core pad that came in pretty close to your budget, it's as comfortable sleeping on as I've ever experienced! I bought a used Kifaru Center Zip last year after elk season, only slept in it a couple nights deer hunting on the plains in November, slept in it, on my Q Core and it stayed on the pad surprisingly well and was much more comfortable than I thought it was going to be when I first climbed into it. The regular width is pretty slim but if you turn on your side it turns with you instead of of like my BA bag, you turn on your side and your face is in the side of the hood. The Big Agnes system is pretty heavy as far as backpacking goes mainly because of the pad, but damn it's comfortable!

JamesP

WKR
As mentioned above Wiggys Ultralight mummy bag rated to 20deg. Ive used it in colder weather than that and never got cold once. Haven't looked in a while but you'll be well under your budget and have an extremely durable and well built bag made in Grand Junction, CO. I have down bags that are much lighter and pack smaller but I alway end up making room for my Wiggys because I know it won't let me down.

edit: I'm 6'0 240lb and bought the wide/regular and its not really narrow like some mummy bags, lots of room.

desertcj

WKR
I've come close to buying a Wiggys 20 degree a few times. Very tempting, but they are over 3lbs. If you can use a quilt, the EE apex 20 is two pounds. With a pad, quilt and bug bivy, you can be at about 4lbs. That is the setup I am leaning towards next.

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
I will add that wiggys bags do truly keep you warm even when wet. I was sleeping under a tarp on a cot, tarp had a whole in it and of course it rained. Water dripped onto the bag and even pooled up some on my cot and I stayed warm. Granted I was using a 0 degree bag and it was around 40 degrees that night but I could tell heat was being retained well with minimal impact from it being wet. I have a tendency to wind up in the water one way or another on my trips which is why I typically go with synthetic fills. I do often lament over the larger size of the wiggys and generally larger size of synthetic filled bags though.

OP
larrywhite843
So, does the $275 need to include a pad too? I haven't slept in a ton of backpacking sleeping bags, I have a Big Agnes encampment with Q Core pad that came in pretty close to your budget, it's as comfortable sleeping on as I've ever experienced! I bought a used Kifaru Center Zip last year after elk season, only slept in it a couple nights deer hunting on the plains in November, slept in it, on my Q Core and it stayed on the pad surprisingly well and was much more comfortable than I thought it was going to be when I first climbed into it. The regular width is pretty slim but if you turn on your side it turns with you instead of of like my BA bag, you turn on your side and your face is in the side of the hood. The Big Agnes system is pretty heavy as far as backpacking goes mainly because of the pad, but damn it's comfortable!

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at those. The $275 budget doesn't include the pad.

are you trying to back pack with this bag? If not there are a ton of options...If so id check out Nemo bags, if its good enough for SFs its good enough for you! The make a lot of good bags that arent Mommys or sort of cross breed between them. Worth looking at. I swear by nemo gear.