Best Tasting Water Bladder

treillw

WKR
Looking to replace my camelback bladder after using the original one for probably 20 years :sick:

Are there any out there that don't taste like a roll of duct tape?

Thanks!

Norm555

WKR
I like platypus bladders. Also, a good tip I heard somewhere is keep them in the freezer during storage. It prevents mildew from forming in your bladder and hose because they are so hard to get dry.

mlgc20

WKR
I've had very good luck with Hydrapak and the Osprey offerings. They have a totally different feel/taste from the old school Camelbaks that appeared to be made out of recycled tires.

I have several Camelbaks, and as long as I clean them regularly, I don't get any aftertaste. I use the Camelbak cleaning tablets, which I think are chlorine, but rinse out after soaking and let it air dry. Maybe ones as old as yours used a different material, but the newer ones that I have are good.

Platypus always seemed...better, than other bladders to me.
You can get a plastic spreader thing that fits inside the bladder to help it dry easier, and detach the hose and hang with mouth piece up(give a quick squeeze to drain water) and it’ll dry easily and quickly.

MattB

WKR
I like Platypus big zips. After I use them I just blow the water out of the tube, shake out the bag to get rid of most of the water, and stuff a bent coat hanger in it to keep it open to better air dry. No taste issues and I basically never clean them.

TheGDog

WKR
The Osprey one. Definitely. Drinks without noise. The platypus one I had was crazy noisy to drink from! Also like how the Osprey has a rigid panel on it's under belly, and rigid loops on it's sides at the top. I can carabiner it to the Molle attachment points in the main compartment of my pack so it's stays at the correct place for the weight distribution.

Also, a tip somebody else mentioned elsewhere. After you get back home, after you've emptied them, you can just throw them into the freezer to prevent bacterial/fungal/mold growth until you need them again. Reduces how often you have to clean the inside of them. Only after multi-day trips really.

LostArra

WKR
I've had very good luck with Source, the green "tactical" model. That used to be the only one they made.

rclouse79

WKR
I would have to be pretty hard up before I tried to eat my water bladder. Sorry, couldn’t resist after reading the title of your post. I like platypus stuff.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m pretty tolerant of less-than-perfect water, but water bag taste is too much. Efferdent tablets have helped my MSR Dromedary and Platypus bags become useable.

I have Camelback, Hydrapack, and Osprey. The osprey is my preference by a wide margin but it lacks a quick connect for the hose and uses a push fit. The rigid panel on the belly and width of the reservoir make it preferable to me over the others.

Source. Once a year I rinse em out with water and a little bleach and let em dry with a few ping pong balls inside.

ODB

WKR
I like platypus bladders. Also, a good tip I heard somewhere is keep them in the freezer during storage. It prevents mildew from forming in your bladder and hose because they are so hard to get dry.

After washing them, I put some isopropyl alcohol in the and slosh around, the alcohol will absorb some water. Then I make sure all the folds are open, pour out, and leave tilted slightly against something. They will dry out completely that way.