Best Tent Setup for 3 guys in backcountry

xcutter

WKR
What is the best setup in your opinion? Usually packing camp on my back all day and sleep where I end up. Looking to reduce weight and possibly add comfort/space.

Looking to possibly split up shelter weight between 3 guys. I would like to hear any recommendations. Brand, weight, what pcs to split up between 3 guys, etc...

Seek outside redcliff with a stove gets my Vite, as it’s what we do. Split between three guys you would all be packing 2-3 pounds at most, have an awesome shelter and a stove to boot (1 guy shelter, one guy pole and stakes, and one guy stove). This is my go to set up with 3 in the backcountry. Only drawback is the fairly large footprint it needs, but it still isn’t too bad. Never had a problem finding a spot...yet.

Marble

WKR
3 guys back packing....I would probably do two different tents. Two 3 man tents.

IME you'll need the room for gear. A 2 man sleeps two dudes comfortably with limited gear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Lots of variables there. Weather. Duration of the trip. Bugs. Gear and size of the dudes.

I do some longer backpacking trips with three dudes total. We’ve figured out none of us sleep well due to snoring/farting etc. so we split it up. Usually no tent but separate tarps with one big enough to be the camp tarp in the event of rain (seek outside DST).

if you need or want a tent, @Marble is right. I would go two guys in a 3 person tent and one guy in a 2-3 person tent with gear. only Thing that would make me rethink that is cold cold weather in which case a big tent and a stove is worth considering.

I have had good luck with Nemo and big Agnes tents backpacking tents. If I went floorless, I would look at seek outside or similar designs. If you have more of a budget then you can look at some of the DCF options. Half the weight but about 3x price.

Marble

WKR
When it comes to my sleep system, I need to be comfortable. If that costs me some weight or space that's fine. Don't save a few pounds to sleep like shit and have no room to keep your gear sheltered.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Depending on the terrain, a 3 person tent can be super problematic to find the space and flat surface area to set up. Also personal differences of style in terms of shelters can be problematic. For steep country, it’s often best just to have 3 individual shelters and let everyone do their own thing and have their own space, but this can largely depend on your group as well as your history and experience together.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't see how splitting up a tent large enough for 3 guys and gear is going to save you any weight over 3 ultralight setups for each of you. A tent big enough for 3 guys is going to weigh well over 6 lbs. If you were able to split it exactly evenly (which you won't be able to do, one person will be carrying more than the other two) you are talking about each guy carrying over 2 pounds worth of tent. You should easily be able to find shelters under 2 pounds each that are good for 1 guy and their gear.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Big Agnes Copper Spur Hotel version. 3 pounds 14 ounces. Use it with 3 guys all the time. We hunt all day and are dead tired at night and sleep like babies. Packs under the vestibule or under a garbage bag. MSR Mutha Hubba is a nice tent also just a little heavier.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Find a used Golite SL5 if you can. I've been using one for years with three people and it's awesome. Plenty of room to sleep and all your gear. I can't remember the weight off the top of my head but I think it's about 6 pounds with the inner tent but I usually use it without for hunting. I believe it's only about 3.5 pounds with the fly, pole, and stakes.

Another really good option is the Kifaru Sawtooth. At 4.5 pounds it's my go-to if I'm expecting really bad weather or high winds. You can also add a wood stove for more comfort during late-season hunts.