Best Terminal Performance of Heavy 30 Caliber Bullet

Cody_W

WKR
Hey guys,

Since the release of the 245gr Berger EOL I’ve been curious on the expansion results on game compared to the 230gr SMK and 230 Berger VLD Hybrid using the 30 cal magnums. I’m wanting to use the 245gr EOL or 230gr SMK in my 300 RUM but not of the performance is less than adequate.
Also curious what kind of speeds y’all are getting with either. @Ryan Avery @Broz I’m sure y’all have some good information on the subject.

Thanks,
CW

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The 230gr SMK is pointed. Terminal ballistics are variable. Sometimes good, sometimes poor.

Both Berger’s are good, if Berger characteristic are what you want.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Have you had them over fragment? Not trying to ruin meat. That’s the only reason I’m not using the atips for game.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
While it was not a test on game, i did do some reduced load expansion tests with the 230SMK at 1650fps impact velocity. Shot through 5" wet paper, through a 2x4 and then into a 30 gallon barrel full of water lying on end. Bullet had absolutely zero expansion, not even tip deformation at this speed. After that test i didn't even pursue it as a long range hunting bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What Berger characteristics are you referring to?

As Weiser stated, 2-4” of penetration then rapid fragmentation. If you are someone who thinks how well a bullet kills determines performance- Berger are great. If on the other hand, you think that what a bullet looks like after it has killed is the determiner.... Berger’s suck.

Bsnyder

WKR
bergers do a lot of damage and are good bullets im a through the shoulder shooter so i dont shoot them in many of my rifles but i have two that are running them and they work well just stay off the shoulder. As usual Form says it best.

Broz

WKR
I have two elk kills with the 245's at just over 3200 fps MV. One at 500 and one at 840 yds. I don't think they will show you anything over a 230 Berger ballistically in a RUM because of the lost velocity with the 245 and it's weight. However if you want to run a heavier bullet in your RUM than a 230, then go for it. Terminal performance will be what we that hunt with Bergers are use to. If you go with the 245 and want a little more velocity, send that RUM to Defensive Edge and have Shawn +P the throat. It will likely produce another 100 fps and you will be entering an area of very impressive ballistics.

About an hour ago I hit 3325 fps with the 245's in my 300 LRO Magnum +P with healthy load of VV 24N41. It was was showing some pressure there, so the node will be about 3275 fps with this powder. Poor Bears

PS: I recommend you steer clear of the 230 SMK for hunting.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Jeff,

That speed is killer. Did you settle on a reamer you like for the HCM? What’s COAL on that guy, 4.450” with 142gr h2o?

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
It sure is a slick round. Glad you’re happy with it! I’m ready to see those 245’s do some damage. Were you happy with Vestal’s work?

Wrench

WKR
its kind of funny to think about the current situation....everyone with a Visa card has their own personal radar, ballistic solvers have never been better, weather stations are backpackable and we're still trying to wring out the 3rd decimal point on a bullet to save 2" at 7 miles.

I believe we've reached the peak of diminishing returns.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
its kind of funny to think about the current situation....everyone with a Visa card has their own personal radar, ballistic solvers have never been better, weather stations are backpackable and we're still trying to wring out the 3rd decimal point on a bullet to save 2" at 7 miles.

You’re not wrong. 😂 Chasing perfection I guess.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Yes and no.

If someone isn’t shooting, then none of it matters. And to an extent, the more you shoot, the less it matters. However, every incremental advance will increase hit rates. It wasn’t that long ago that we though a mid .5 BC was good. Now anything less than .7 BC is kind of “meh”. May not seem like all that much, but the difference between a 5 mph wind bracket and a 7 mph in variable winds is more than 40%. It’s more like a 50-60% advantage.

Wrench

WKR
Yes and no.

If someone isn’t shooting, then none of it matters. And to an extent, the more you shoot, the less it matters. However, every incremental advance will increase hit rates. It wasn’t that long ago that we though a mid .5 BC was good. Now anything less than .7 BC is kind of “meh”. May not seem like all that much, but the difference between a 5 mph wind bracket and a 7 mph in variable winds is more than 40%. It’s more like a 50-60% advantage.
I completely get it. There's just not that many people who have enough time and money to shoot enough to milk these for what they are worth.

The guys who clean house with a Berger will probably do the same with an SMK or Scenar.

I'd personally grab a pile of whatever I can get a bunch of and my rig likes and go wear out a tube learning how things happen.

If a guy is good enough to shoot through the 3rd decimal point....then he's really going to love these....but that's a small audience outside the internet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'd personally grab a pile of whatever I can get a bunch of and my rig likes and go wear out a tube learning how things happen.

Yeah man. I prefer my ammo to come 20 to a box, 460 to a can, and 920 to a case. If I could it it preloaded in mags, even better