Best threaded muzzle break ?

AKSilent1

FNG
I have a proof barrel on a 6.5 creedmore. It’s threaded at the end and have been wanting to throw a break on it just cuz. Worth it? If so what are the best breaks you guys have used?
Thanks
I own and operate Alaska Silencer where I sell silencers and firearms. Lots of customers ask about threaded barrels and muzzle breaks, etc. First, I cannot determine whether the proper spelling is "brake" or "break".

My friends who work as Hunting Guides often complain of muzzle breaks and the extra noise associated with those items. Several of my friends have serious hearing loss in one ear from being close to too many clients with high powered rifles fitted with muzzle breaks.

Personally, I do not see the difference between loud and very loud, muzzle break or not. Hearing damage, the noise, and the consequences of hearing loss are the same. Proper safety is always expected. That includes hearing protection and eye protection. When wearing correct hearing protection, the muzzle break is of less consequence in terms of hearing damage.

The larger problem might be to consider why the muzzle break is needed. We known that recoil is an accuracy killer. Muzzle breaks certainly help reduce recoil thus improving potential accuracy. 6.5 Creedmoor should not need a muzzle break as it is a relatively soft low recoil round, even in an ultralight rifle like my Kimber Adirondack. Conversely, my Kimber Montana 30.06 great benefitted from the muzzle break.

If your barrel is not threaded then be very careful who you hire to thread that barrel. It is good to have the muzzle break or silencer at the time of threading to be sure it fits exactly as you expect. The consequences of even minor thread errors can be very dangerous.

mt100gr.

WKR
If I ran brake on a 6.5 CM it would be a Lil Bastard, but I would NOT run a brake on a 6.5 CM. I use a linear comp on two of my 6mm cals. Photo shows my 6 CM with a comp made by Archon Mfg. The Archon Mfg makes definitely reduce recoil and help send the noise downrange.

Big fan of these things! Food for thought...

View attachment 177815
These have my attention. The Archon comps look really nice. Do you have the .308 comp on your 6mm? Trying to figure out how much it matters if the caliber is undersized for the comp. I'd like to try one on my 6.5 but only see the .308 option.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running an Area 419 Hellfire on my 6.5PRC and really like it so far.

These have my attention. The Archon comps look really nice. Do you have the .308 comp on your 6mm? Trying to figure out how much it matters if the caliber is undersized for the comp. I'd like to try one on my 6.5 but only see the .308 option.
I think the two I have are 6.5 w/ 5/8 x 24 threading. I doubt a .308 diameter would change anything for a 6.5 cal. Hope this helps!

beast and lil beast by muzzle brakes and more.
hea done lots of tests and his seem to edge out just about everything except the terminator brakes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fatbacks

WKR
beast and lil beast by muzzle brakes and more.
hea done lots of tests and his seem to edge out just about everything except the terminator brakes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Agree. Muzzle brakes n more brakes are awesome. Makes my lightweight magnums feel like a 223.

Here is my new titanium on I got from Nathan:
bf3a1176741800354ba9fcc846e85025.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
I do not have a lot of experience with brakes, but when I researched the snot out of them (for an AR-10 build) I found, and ended up going with a West Texas Ordnance break. From my not-super experienced opinion, I would at least tell someone to check them out. I really like mine, even though I can't say I've compared it to a ton of others.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I own and operate Alaska Silencer where I sell silencers and firearms. Lots of customers ask about threaded barrels and muzzle breaks, etc. First, I cannot determine whether the proper spelling is "brake" or "break".

If you’re in the biz, might as well get it right.

brake, noun
1 : a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction
2 : something used to slow down or stop movement or activity

break, noun
Too many definitions to copy here but if you want to google it you’ll see that none of them have anything to do with what happens at the end of a rifle barrel.

fatbacks

WKR
Along with my timed muzzle brakes n more previously posted, I just mounted a self timing 5 port on a 6.5 PRC this morning. Makes it feel like a .223.

4ccd15e563f8a88469c43c5653d44b9f.jpg