Best Thumb Release

MattyD13

FNG
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a thumb style release. I’ve learned a lot from Dudley at Nock On so would love to support him, but any recommendations on them or is there a better one out there? Specifically looking at the Nock 2 It. Thanks!

Nock2it (Carter wise choice) is a very nice release. Crisp trigger, and adjustable travel and tension. Dudley is big on two finger releases, I think it's all personal preference. I like three finger myself.

Some things to think about when looking at thumb trigger handheld releases.

1. Does the release stay cocked and on my D-loop? Is that something you want?

2. Does the trigger cock with one movement or does it need a secondary action like closing the hook?

3. Can I adjust the tension and travel independently?

4. Are there multiple sizes so I can fit it to my hand?

5. Can the thumb barrel be adjusted/rotated for a better fit.

6. Do I want an enclosed pointer finger or open.

Some of my favorites are Stan perfex long neck, Stan SX3, and Tru Ball blade.

I am currently shooting the Tru Ball Blade Pro Flex, it's everything I want in a thumb release. One cocking action, stays on the D-loop, super crisp trigger, and it has a good weight since half of the release body is brass.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
If you want to support Dudley go ahead. You won't be disappointed with the Nock to it. Stan, B3, Scott, and Truball also make very good release's, can't really go wrong with any of them.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the nock2it for about a year and really like it. I was lucky and a friend had one as well as a carter wise choice 3 finger, so I was able to try it before buying one. I had a Carter insatiable before I got the nock2it, but I found I prefer the 2 finger. The nock2it/wise choice also have the auto close jaws (only have to cock the trigger). On the insatiable and some of the other Carters you have to cock the trigger AND manually close the hook. Not a huge deal but I didn't like it.

If you don't have the ability to try a few, worst case you'll be able to sell the nock2it for close to what you bought it for.

If I was starting all over, I would seriously consider the Stan Perfex. The amount of adjustment is insane, so you're bound to find what you like. Comes with 2 thumb barrels, different length posts, and can be set up as a 2 finger, 3 finger, and 4 finger all in one release. So you can try it all and find what you prefer. They also have a complimentary tension activated Perfex, (similar to the Nock2it/Silverback).

OP
M

MattyD13

FNG
Guys, thanks so much!! I really appreciate all of the feedback. I went to my first TAC event last year and it kicked my butt so I’m just trying to get better with my shooting. I’ll start by seeing if my local archery shop has any releases I can try. Unfortunately all of my friends have the same wrist release as I do so no opportunity to demo theirs.

I'm a big fan of Carter for all my releases. I have an older 4 finger insatiable that I really like. It has the same POI as my Like mike, so I carry it for my backup as well. If you can, just try a bunch and find one you like. Archery talk classifieds are a good source to find used, less expensive releases so you can play around with them. I also keep a hinge in my stable for fun...if hinges are fun :)

jpiazza91

FNG
I have a TruBall Max Hunter + three finger thumb release I'm extremely happy with. Worth looking at if you're able to try some out at a shop; mine was a hand-me-down.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
you can't beat the Stan Perfex wrt adjustability plus they provide templates on their website so you can pick the right size that matches you ...Stan has now a follow up model that has the same features (so they say) so you might be able to pick up the genuine Perfex for a good price.

KBC

WKR
A guy at the range let me try his wise choice. I liked it better using only 2 fingers like the Nock-2-it than I did with 3 fingers so I got the Nock-2-it. I like it way more than the wrist strap I had before. The only con is that you have to be a bit more careful keeping track of it when you are hunting since you can't just strap it on and not lose it.

I use a Stan SX3. If you have the luxury to try a bunch side by side, that’s what I would do if I were you. At the very least, I would get one that’s fully adjustable as far where the thumb button is located on the release and how much tension it takes to trip it.

Button

WKR
I ordered an XL Stan perfex heavy metal long neck in December, still waiting on it to arrive. I knew up front it would be awhile, Lancaster estimated February-March. Looking forward to trying it.

BBob

WKR
Stan Perfex. It's probably the most adjustable release out there. Easy to reset and then clip to the loop. I've used Carter's for years but right now I like this Perfex better.

Good brands tend to have good releases. Just depends on your preference. I like 3 finger, straight, with no index finger loop, and hook that will lock onto d-loop. That leads me to Carter Too Simple (it's a nock2 with no index loop, and 3 fingers). I don't think getting caught in the weeds of details makes much difference. Decide what configuration you like and find that in a good brand.

More important than the release itself is learning to shoot a thumb release with back tension. Once you get the hang of that you are golden for hunting, target, and day to day practice.

Lastly, I know nobody who has gone with a thumb release and gone back to a wrist style index release. I love thumb releases...you get back tension and you can punch it if need be.