best time to hunt Nebraska antelope during archery?????

Lee4340

FNG
Im looking for some help since the archery season is so long in Nebraska and this will be my first antelope hunt. when is a good time to go after them? what units would you recommend???

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Far western Nebraska, if your patient hunt water tanks early, it will be hot in the blind, take a cooler. Take some time and look for a tank there drinking at.

I archery hunted mule deer last year northwest corner first week of October. I wish I could have traded my mule deer tag for a pronghorn. I was the only guy out there and saw a ton of antelope on public

mulie76

FNG
I lived in Western NE for 11 years, and spent a lot of time devoted to hunting and scouting goats there. during the archery season, especially early, rain will be the biggest issue if you're sitting water holes. that time of year it can be really dry, so a late July/Early Aug rain can really screw up your hunt as the goats can get water out of any little puddle and won't be condensed around cattle water tanks or ponds(if you find the rare one there). if you wait till end of Aug-1st Sept they start to Rut and you can have some opportunity to decoy them but this is a numbers game and you need to cover a lot of different herds and find the right one. If you go up to the NW corner of the state in the Ogallala grass lands, its easily the most concentrated area of antelope in the state. there is a lot of federal ground, and no need to knock on doors. it also gets a lot of pressure, so be prepped for other hunters.

kwren

FNG
I live out in western KS so, assuming the antelope behave similarly I have found that late august-mid September there is not near as much rut activity. Sitting water holes on dry years is usually productive, but boring! like many others have said, rain this time of year can make it nearly impossible to harvest an antelope over a water hole. Mid-Late September, rut activity is usually in full swing and the bucks are running around like crazy! If you can find some land that has favorable terrain for spot'n'stalk I highly recommend it. More than likely you're going to get busted a lot, but you'll also have lots of stalk opportunities, it turn making you better hunter!! Get out and get after them, best of luck!