Best time to visit Alaska?

I would like to take my wife to alaska for some site seeing,fishing,crabbing.My uncle does live in anchorage so that area would be a plus.I would love to go there a few months a year when we get older like most wifes all she can think of is how cold it is.
Best months to visit and best means to get there from central US.

Anchorage isn’t actually in Alaska, but it’s only two hours away from there.
July and August always seem good from a weather and fishing perspective. But it would depend on your exact goals.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
July plus or minus a month if fishing is your goal. Just depends what you want to do/see though.

Means of getting up here? I suggest an airplane :) But if you’re spending a couple months might be worth the drive, lots to see on the way here too.

OP
C
Getting there i mean to fly but what airlines do you have the best like with.
This first trip or two are just going to be 7-10 day vacations.

I’ve been there in July, August, and September and all were very agreeable weather wise. “Best” I think depends on what you want to do when there. I based two of my trips around salmon runs and another to hunt caribou. Don’t overlook Homer for some charter boat halibut fishing. I’ve done that twice and had a great time both times. Nice spot on the spit to try and catch some silvers. It’s a bit of a circus doing it but it’s the spectacle of it all that adds to the fun.

It’s a big state, Anchorage is much like any North west port city. Gets plenty of rain. Fairbanks is much like any east slope community in the mountain west, actually pretty dry.
Fishing, you really need to refine your goals or simply understand some species just aren’t available at that time.
personally I like September best

“There is one word of advice and caution to be given those intending to visit Alaska . . . If you are old, go by all means, but if you are young, wait. The scenery of Alaska is much grander than anything else of its kind in the world, and it is not wise to dull one’s capacity for enjoyment by seeing the finest first.”

Henry Garnett, member of the Harriman expedition, 1899

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anchorage is one of the biggest shit holes in the country, no matter what time of year you go there it’s shitty.

I’m always amazed at how many homeless junkies are there, even when it’s -20 out. It so shitty they can’t even leave.

If you want to go fishing though, July and august are good.

Highly recommend Seward...beautiful location, small town atmosphere, good food, tons of things to do, great fishing...

Catchfish

WKR
I would second august lately it seems the weather is great, sept colors can be great but we start to get a lot more rain it seems. July is alright but there’s a lot of people visiting then as well. If any winter activities are interesting then March is a great time as is April probably but south central melt is going pretty good in April.

wyosteve

WKR
My first visit was in mid-May. I found it to be a great time. The weather was sunny and comfortable. No tourists to speak of. Seward was quiet and a wonderful place to spend time. Next trip was in July and it reminded me of Yellowstone. Traffic and people everywhere. We caught fish, but it certainly didn't provide a 'remote' feeling. I should note, both trips used Anchorage as a base. The interior might be different.

August is typically our rainy month, although that’s obviously not guaranteed. If you’re fishing and just mainly focusing on salmon, then it depends on what species you’re looking for as to which timeframe is best. Trout fishing is best in September.
A few south central towns that I would suggest as must visits, if you have the time, are Talkeetna, Seward, Homer, and Valdez, but not necessarily in that order. If you’re lucky and are able to make the drive from Anchorage down around the Turnagain Arm on a clear summer day, it may just be one of the most beautiful drives you’ll ever experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk