Best “training” shoe?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi all,

I’m looking for recommendations on shoes that are good for indoor HIIT workouts as well as short outdoor ruck sessions. I want something I can do my workouts in then immediately grab my pack and hit the road/trail with. Hopefully something stable and low to the ground. No need for serious hiking lugs as I just wear my boots for hiking. These would be mostly used on dirt roads, bike paths and in the gym.

Thanks!

Edit to add: when I say “ruck” I’m not talking about serious rucking, I’m talking like throwing on a 30lb pack and taking the dog for 1-3 miles at the end of my workouts.

*zap*

WKR
I think that a trail runner in as minimalist a style as possible. That will put your feet working as evolution intended them to work...I wear Merrill vapor gloves and Merrill trail gloves. If your heel striking as you walk the ultra minimal shoes will bring it right to your attention. Anyway, that is what has been working for me, good trail boots for hunting and backpack camping....minimal trail runners pretty much all other times. The vapor gloves are very minimalist and it would probably not be good to start with them if your new to these type of runners....trail gloves would be no problem.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve got a finicky back, knees, and feet and have used Brooks for many years. Just recently picked up the new adrenalines and are breaking in nicely.

For running or for working out in general? I always liked brooks back when I was really into long distance running.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think that a trail runner in as minimalist a style as possible. That will put your feet working as evolution intended them to work...I wear Merrill vapor gloves and Merrill trail gloves. If your heel striking as you walk the ultra minimal shoes will bring it right to your attention. Anyway, that is what has been working for me, good trail boots for hunting and backpack camping....minimal trail runners pretty much all other times. The vapor gloves are very minimalist and it would probably not be good to start with them if your new to these type of runners....trail gloves would be no problem.

Feet are pretty strong, I don’t foresee a problem with doing short/light Neighborhood rucks in minimalist shoes. I’ll check out those Merrill trail gloves. I think new balance makes a similar thing too.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Reebok Nano’s have been my go to for awhile now, specifically the nano 9’s. I’ve done short rucks with them as well and they preformed well.

Moserkr

WKR
Really enjoying my altra lone peaks. What you are describing is exactly what I bought em for. But ive been wearing em all day too since they are my most comfortable shoe now. Durability will be my only concern long term but they seem well built. Question is do you want/need zero drop? It was a need for me.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Really enjoying my altra lone peaks. What you are describing is exactly what I bought em for. But ive been wearing em all day too since they are my most comfortable shoe now. Durability will be my only concern long term but they seem well built. Question is do you want/need zero drop? It was a need for me.

I want zero drop, not sure I need it but apparently it’s good for most folks so it wouldn’t hurt.

Moserkr

WKR
For a “minimalist” shoe, the lone peaks have a surprising amount of cushion - not a ton, just right. At the same time very flexible so you can feel the ground. Besides the comfort, i like how the tread has a lot of grip.

I had tight calves and started rolling my left ankle a lot in my hunting boots last year. Lone peaks have alleviated those issues for me quickly and are helping to strengthen my legs properly. Lots of great shoes mentioned though. My experience is limited with zero drop and the lone peaks so it was a lucky educated choice that worked out for me.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For a “minimalist” shoe, the lone peaks have a surprising amount of cushion - not a ton, just right. At the same time very flexible so you can feel the ground. Besides the comfort, i like how the tread has a lot of grip.

I had tight calves and started rolling my left ankle a lot in my hunting boots last year. Lone peaks have alleviated those issues for me quickly and are helping to strengthen my legs properly. Lots of great shoes mentioned though. My experience is limited with zero drop and the lone peaks so it was a lucky educated choice that worked out for me.

I think I’m sold. I’m going to get me them green lone peaks.

Edit: ordered the lone peak 5.

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Curious to see if you like em too. A lot of reviewers said the lone peak 4s were better but im stoked on the 5s. Never knew the 4s. Feet are so objective from one person to another but zero drop just feel right. Will still wear heavy boots for hard hunting but I am considering the lone peaks for early archery given the comfort. Only issue would be a heavy pack out. They did dry quick when I got em wet so that was also a plus. They breathe nicely and my feet run hot normally, so not having sweaty feet is another bonus.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Curious to see if you like em too. A lot of reviewers said the lone peak 4s were better but im stoked on the 5s. Never knew the 4s. Feet are so objective from one person to another but zero drop just feel right. Will still wear heavy boots for hard hunting but I am considering the lone peaks for early archery given the comfort. Only issue would be a heavy pack out. They did dry quick when I got em wet so that was also a plus. They breathe nicely and my feet run hot normally, so not having sweaty feet is another bonus.

They should be good, I’ve actually wanted a pair for awhile. Who knows, maybe they will become my everyday show but for now I’m just needing something I can do light rucks with after a workout.

It is crazy how much shoes can change between model “upgrades” though. Years ago when I was doing lots of marathons and ultras, I loved the saucing grid Omni 4, they were nice and solid. When the omni 5 came out they were soft and unsupportive. Saucing said they did it to be more like ASICS….they lost tons of customers who figured they could just go with ASICS for a soft shoe.

sargent

WKR
I have a pair of Lone Peak 4 shoes and a pair of Lone Peak 5 All Weather mids. The Lone Peak 5's are definitely narrower, but both are very comfortable for me. I wear them all the time, including lots of training hikes on dirt roads. Hopefully you like them too.

Moserkr

WKR
Curious about the all weathers too, do they fit/feel the same? Never thought my foot was wide, but after some toe issues I learned I needed a wider toe box. The 5’s have more than enough room for my toes at least. I may end up buying 3-4 pairs of the 5’s in case they change them for the worse.