Best trekking pole 1 to 2 person tent ?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you say sketchy weather, can you describe? I’ve been seriously considering this tent and I’m interested in how it performs in really heavy winds and rain. Any experience under these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had it out in very sustained rains (all night long,) but more moderate vs heavy rain; I've had it out several times in exposed areas w/ very gusty winds, but again not severe

Based on my experience, I think this is a very solid three season shelter, but it's not going to be the shelter I choose if expecting severe weather; obviously a person can mitigate some of that with good site selection, but sometimes a more bomber shelter is called for

this is the one I've been eyeballing, just need to hit that lotto once is all :D

def laminated with eVent, not a trekking pole shelter, but pretty bomber at a very reasonable weight

https://locusgear.com/items/djedi-dcf-event-dome/?lang=en

I've had it out in very sustained rains (all night long,) but more moderate vs heavy rain; I've had it out several times in exposed areas w/ very gusty winds, but again not severe

Based on my experience, I think this is a very solid three season shelter, but it's not going to be the shelter I choose if expecting severe weather; obviously a person can mitigate some of that with good site selection, but sometimes a more bomber shelter is called for

this is the one I've been eyeballing, just need to hit that lotto once is all :D

def laminated with eVent, not a trekking pole shelter, but pretty bomber at a very reasonable weight

https://locusgear.com/items/djedi-dcf-event-dome/?lang=en
Yeah, that Djedi looks bomber enough, my only concern with it would be possible severe condensation issues.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah w/ a single wall always a risk, reports have been pretty encouraging thus far though

sheffiled

FNG
I ran the Seek Outside Eolus this year and have no complaints. Best tent I’ve had.
Did you run the nest at all? I have the shelter but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Im thinking of getting the nest and taking it with me to the NWT guiding this season, but I have serious doubts it will stand up in heavy wind. And how is it for setting up on uneven/unlevel surfaces?

Did you run the nest at all? I have the shelter but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Im thinking of getting the nest and taking it with me to the NWT guiding this season, but I have serious doubts it will stand up in heavy wind. And how is it for setting up on uneven/unlevel surfaces?
I ran the nest all year. I loved it! Had plenty of room in the nest and I’m 6’4” and enough storage in the vestibules for all my gear. I’ve had it set up in gusts around 40 and if everything is snug and setup correctly it handles it great. As far as unlevel surfaces I’m not to sure everywhere I camped this year I was able to find pretty even terrain.

I run a SO Silvertip with a Six Moon Designs Serenity Nettent. Pitched with one of my trekking poles, a tyvek foot print for the nettent, and carrying 10 MSR groundhog stakes, I’m at under 3 lbs. You can find lower cost alternatives in this combo. It’s a flexible and fairly lightweight setup worth considering.

Tarptent Stratosphire 1 is my top pick using two trekking poles. its also cheaper than most competition and using 30d fabric which is thicker than most of the big name brands.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive been running the ZPacks Hexamid plus for several years. Its been a great shelter for one guy plus your pack. My main partner has had the same tarp for a while also.

Just last year we picked up the Duplex to take on trips for two of us. Its nice too. I wouldn't want to live out of it but it is totally doable for two guys for a few days. Coupled with a flat tarp for eating under/hanging out and its perfect.

After using both of those shelters one thing I realized, is I like to set my camp up and then Ill hunt around it for a few days. So I like to have at least one of my trekking poles for hiking still, thats a benefit of a shelter that only requires one pole to setup.