Best trekking poles

Ive been beating the living piss out of my Costco carbons and they are tough as nails and perform like a porsche as far as i use them. Beat the holy living piss out of them. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much piss were you able to get out of your poles?

mthayr

WKR
At the time, it was very frequently. I thought to check it's prostate and found the problem. Now very little and infrequent...

...wait what are talking about??
HAHAHA - Used my BD carbon distance FLZ often, never been too easy on them and they have outlasted several pairs of Comperdell and Leki - the regular carbon distance are probably even stronger, though that's due to them not being adjustable.

TheGDog

WKR
The cams can fail on adjustable length ones. I now have a simple REI carbon fiber 3-sectioned one that has a cable that runs thru the middle of it, and I love that it breaks down to a size that easily fits in the long side pockets on my EMR II right along-side the Kwik Stix and BTR Stool, and that's just one side. Tripod goes in the other. And Daddy is not light be anyone's definition these days, and I only take 1 with me and it does just fine.

Don’t waste your time with adjustable length poles. They sound good in theory. In reality the adjustment mechanisms always break, they add unnecessary weight and from my perspective there’s little value in having a pole that can collapse to a shorter length. Instead, get a solid carbon fiber pole, that’s not designed for ultralight applications. Accept a little extra weight for bombproof durability. I hunt sheep and moose every year and have been ski touring/mountaineering for over 20 years. Over the years I’ve used, or seen in use, many different poles. From my perspective, all adjustable poles have been junk. For hunting in demanding terrain, carrying heavy loads and relying on poles for support......a person needs a solid fixed length pole. Adjustable poles are for casual users.
What brands? Or pole name? I can't find anything like that?

What brands? Or pole name? I can't find anything like that?

Here’s a good place to start, by comparing cost, weight and grip design. Just navigate to ‘Compare Fixed Length Ski Poles’

This pole would be a good option to consider.

Last edited:

Here’s a good place to start, by comparing cost, weight and grip design. Just navigate to ‘Compare Fixed Length Ski Poles’

This pole would be a good option to consider.
Oh cool, thx!!! So back country touring stuff is sturdy enough.. sweet!! Thx

madcalfe

WKR
I've been using the BD distance carbon FLZ poles for the last 5 years.
I recently got the new style last year and gave my old pair to my wife.
but put on 4 years of hard sheep hunting use. the only thing that went wrong with them was I tore off the top piece of black foam on the handle when I fell. pretty sure the bottom 2ft of poles are completely missing the blue paint lol

So back country touring stuff is sturdy enough..
Generally, manufacturers who make adjustable poles, also make corresponding fixed length poles from the same materials. It’s the adjustment mechanisms that typically fail. In regards to ‘backcountry touring stuff’ being sturdy enough. I would say the poles sold by Skimo.co are most likely going to be a lot stronger and more durable than poles sold as ‘trekking poles’. Which is what most hunters seem to use.

ColoradoV

WKR
The new bd carbon poles you can attach a “whippet” attachment to the top.

Honestly while necessary sometimes - carting an ice axe is just a pain in the ass and while this not an ice axe it fills that niche for me 95% of the time in the summer.

Also it’s great to dig out a place to sit spotting or dig out a tent site…

C164488C-50DD-4112-B251-3F3E8EA63197.jpeg72CFDB3F-A56F-4710-9093-4DE4DD431C56.jpegE0C78AED-B200-448C-9B1B-4C261F90AB38.jpeg

0908C5C1-6E33-4AB9-A5E6-FC7F7455B18D.jpeg

I've beat the crap out of my Leki Micro Vario Carbon set the last 3 years and they are still kicking. Like how well they collapse to a small package that I can easily fit in my backpack side pocket.

Generally, manufacturers who make adjustable poles, also make corresponding fixed length poles from the same materials. It’s the adjustment mechanisms that typically fail. In regards to ‘backcountry touring stuff’ being sturdy enough. I would say the poles sold by Skimo.co are most likely going to be a lot stronger and more durable than poles sold as ‘trekking poles’. Which is what most hunters seem to use.
Yeah I'm with you on the fixed thing. My background was a lot of feather light trail running camping.. camping while white water kayaking which doesn't have a lot of room for gear. And then a bunch of years in the infantry in the army. I've only been ski touring the last couple years since I moved to Utah and it's been great. (I don't think true mountaineering is for me all the ropes and stuff just isn't my jam)

I'm always looking for stuff that doesn't break... And now that I'm just getting into hunting the more expeditionary type stuff and walking is attractive.. equipment that doesn't fail and is really light is also attractive. Thanks for the heads up on the durability.

Honestly while necessary sometimes - carting an ice axe is just a pain in the ass and while this not an ice axe it fills that niche for me 95% of the time in the summer.

View attachment 535214View attachment 535215View attachment 535216

View attachment 535221
Which poles are those? I'm really interested in non collapsible.... One piece poles that are super sturdy... If I can throw a shooting v on top of one I think that's fine... I can't imagine a time I would need a fall arresting device like that on my poles but I'm new to this game.

View attachment 535214View attachment 535215View attachment 535216

View attachment 535221
Which poles are those? Do you really find yourself needing to arrest yourself with a ice ax where you're going? What drove that decision?. Mainly skiing or hunting?

ColoradoV

WKR
The whippet is a specific item I use the summer but for most any mountain application is unnecessary..

The poles are black Diamond carbon. They are breakdown so they fit in my pack as I need this.

Good luck on your search and again yea the whippet is unnecessary for most folks but sure is cool!

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Leki. Get flick locks, not twist.
I carry mine 100% of the time, and deploy them when something hits the ground. Its worth the little extra weight every empty day for the support on the heavy days. Never had a Leki fail aside from when my buddy left one leaning against the pickup when we drove off.. He refuses to carry them then begs for one of mine when we get an animal on the ground..