Best trekking poles

Big fan of my Leki Micro Varia Carbons. Those only come along when it really matters such as on a sheep hunt. But for most hunts I just bring my Black Diamond FLZ (or something like that).

OP
S

sivart

WKR
trying to figure out which is the lightest, and shortest when packed

Decker9

WKR
Iv been using the BD carbon corks the past year and have been impressed. This is after 2 sets of the BD FLZ’s failing (glue holding the insides together failed in both instances). BD informed me the FLZ’s were not meant for “serious hiking”, and sent the carbon corks free of charge. Excellent customer service.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I could see the advantage of having a pair that collapses enough to get inside a 24" pack.

Camomutt

FNG
I' ve used a set of BD aluminum poles, very surdy but would collapse when I would stumble, and eventually became hard to open, so I thought I'd try cascade mountain carbon poles. They broke on my first hike, bought the CM 3k, my 3 year old broke them before I could try them out. I'm not sure if carbon is not for me, or CM poles are the problem.

I like my BD Alpine FLZ poles. And as you can see in the post above if you have any issues their customer service will take care of you.

Don’t buy alpine FLZ I’ve broken 2 pairs at the locking insert. I need 140cm poles do it complicates things. Deckers recommendation would be a good alternative but they are to small.
Next set will be Leki

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Black diamond distance carbon Z if you aren't to hard on them and know your lengths. Tape the botton 12" for rock protection.
So light they are always in your pack and they pack down small. Enough to stabilise for those down hill descents when loaded up (and they can do for tent poles also for some setups).
Otherwise any old aluminium adjustables are cheap and strong.

I've like my REI Traverse poles so far. Went with aluminum even though they are slightly heavier for the durability under heavy weight. The locks have a twist function that help keep everything nice and tight.

My buddy took a slide on the snow around Mt. Rainier hiking the Wonderland last June with a pair. Used one to stop his slide and bent it up real good. Took it in to REI and they not only replaced it, but upgraded him to some Black Diamond Trail Ergo poles. Hard to complain about that.

Don’t waste your time with adjustable length poles. They sound good in theory. In reality the adjustment mechanisms always break, they add unnecessary weight and from my perspective there’s little value in having a pole that can collapse to a shorter length. Instead, get a solid carbon fiber pole, that’s not designed for ultralight applications. Accept a little extra weight for bombproof durability. I hunt sheep and moose every year and have been ski touring/mountaineering for over 20 years. Over the years I’ve used, or seen in use, many different poles. From my perspective, all adjustable poles have been junk. For hunting in demanding terrain, carrying heavy loads and relying on poles for support......a person needs a solid fixed length pole. Adjustable poles are for casual users.

i am getting the new sissy stix backcountryZ, they look like the perfect poles to me, like how short they collapse

i have the mountainsmith carbon lite pro right now, one season on them and the twist locks are getting funky already. not trustworthy

It really depends on exactly what you’re looking for in a trekking pole. What’s most important to you? Wt., strength, something that serves more than one purpose? What I would consider the “best”, would just be the best for me. One thing I will say is, you definitely don’t have to spend a small fortune to have what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been beating the living piss out of my Costco carbons and they are tough as nails and perform like a porsche as far as i use them. Beat the holy living piss out of them. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk