Best tripod head for spotter

section8mainiac

Lil-Rokslider
Sirui VA-5. I have 2 and my brother has 1. Great head for the money and weight. Smooth and sturdy with Arca Swiss plates. I use it for 15 power binos and a 95 mm spotting scope and it performs well for $150

Thanks, Matt

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Manfrotto 700RC2 video head that I use for my 12x50 binos and my spotter and I love it for both. Very smooth and easy to move but also easy to adjust so it stays put when you stop. I think it was around $100 new

Brooks

WKR
I’ve been using the Promaster SPCH20 for a year now . I have 12x50 EL’s , a 65 Swarovski and a 80 Razor and have been glassing with all of them all elk season scouting for an outfitter sometimes 4 to 6 hours a day and really like the SPCH20 a lot. I’m going to buy another one so I won’t need to swap around when going from binos to spotter.

I picked up a VA-5 and used it for spring bear this year. It’s awesome. People are right, when they say it’s heavier and bulky. But oh man, it’s so smooth and easy to use. By far the best I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m curious if you’ve tried the Outdoorsmans fluid head?
i would just find it hard to put a multi-thousand $$ optic on top of a made in China 🇨🇳 Head.

Mossing

FNG
I use the VA5 as well on slik 624 and 634. Combo cost less than an outdoorsman head and works great minus the small weight penalty

Manfrotto 700RC2 video head that I use for my 12x50 binos and my spotter and I love it for both. Very smooth and easy to move but also easy to adjust so it stays put when you stop. I think it was around $100 new
+1. I use two of these on two tripods. I buy the knock off plates off amazon and put them on everything that I want to stick on a tripod - so far:

1 spotter
2 pairs of bino's
3 DSLR camera bodies
1 DSLR long lens
2 go pro knockoff's
1 rifle V-yoke rifle rest

Cheap, and universal for everything. I just picked up the second one used for $50.

pc3

WKR
Has anyone tried the Promaster SPCH20? It looks considerably smaller, and is considerably lighter, than the VA-5, and pack weight is becoming more important to me every year!
I have use the SPCH20 with my Meopta s2 20-70x82mm works fine, although I will say its the only pan type head I have used so have no base of comparison. It was lot cheaper for me when I purchased this head vs the VA5.

Rock-o

WKR
I chose the Sirui VA-5 Ultra-Compact. New to me and I've never had anything else so my thoughts don't carry any weight but I think it will work out great. No play, solid, smooth. My limited use has been with a 65mm spotter and a 10x42 binocular attached with a Field Optics Research Rapid Release Gen 2 Binocular Tripod adapter.

pc3

WKR
Has anyone tried the Sirui VH10 or the promaster spch 60 or 75 heads ?

KaBoilers

FNG
Thanks for this excellent thread! Exactly the details I’ve been after to help me decide my own setup.

ericl33

Lil-Rokslider
This ^ for backpacking and va-5 for truck use.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

genticles

FNG
@ Camera Land

Long time lurker, but new member. What do we need to do to achieve the discount?

Thanks,
BG

The Promaster SPCh20 sucks. The arm to to pan with continuously falls off to the point that i don’t even put it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

genticles

FNG
Well that’s not good…. I’ve posted in another thread asking for recommendations…. Specifically about the wiser PH-170 NightHawk. Seems expensive for what it is. I’m definitely open to suggestions.

@ Camera Land

Long time lurker, but new member. What do we need to do to achieve the discount?

Thanks,
BG
Good morning. You can use code TS21 on any Sirui tripod or head, Promaster tripod or SPCH20 head and Peak Design tripods. That gets you 15% off

genticles

FNG
Good morning. You can use code TS21 on any Sirui tripod or head, Promaster tripod or SPCH20 head and Peak Design tripods. That gets you 15% off
Thanks so much. Still doing some research on which direction I’m going to go but I really appreciate you getting back to me.

FURMAN

WKR
I just go a VA5. While I have not spent a great deal of time with it. I can say it is far superior to the Benro S2 which is a great head for the price and weight.