Best turkey red dot

My kids want to turkey hunt. I got them a mossberg youth 20 ga and plan on shooting TSS. Would you put a red dot on it, and if so which one?

People on oldgobbler seem to like Burris Fastfire or Vortex Venom.

One thing to consider if you are hunting beyond the wall is operating temperature. The Burris is good down to -10f, Vortex down to +22f.

Sounds just fine for spring gobblers, but wouldn’t have worked for me this MN season opener at 16f :)

Also, with turkey guns I like adjustable sights of any type. With TSS I would consider it mandatory due to the tight patterns with turkey chokes.

I use smoothbore slug barrels with screw in chokes in my remingtons. Nice adjustable rifle sights.

Haven’t been impressed with the sights on Mossberg turkey guns if included, so I think a red dot is the way to go.

One more week of upland hunting to go, but I’m already itching to hear some gobblers this spring!

dtrkyman

WKR
Definitely at least an adjustable iron type sight, tru glo and williams make nice ones. I prefer 2 beads personally but my 20ga does not shoot behind the beads so I added a tru glo adjustable.

My sbe2 shoots spot on with the double beads!

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve been experimenting with the Sig Romeo this fall (geese and sporting clays). Function is fine, but it has failed 3 times to wake up from sleep mode. Pull up and no dot.

Between this and one Romeo that could not be sighted in, I’m about done with them.

I have had good luck with the Leupold Delta Point Pro and Holosun 507c on my competition guns. I’ll probably put a Leupold DPP on my turkey gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put several cheap red dots on my kids turkey gun, ended up throwing them all it he garbage and going with a vortex venom. Never looked back it’s awesome and great battery life.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the trijicon rmr fiber optic version. Love the triangle. Top point of the triangle on the base of the neck and it’s over. No batteries needed.

I had two fastfire 3s go bad on me with less than 2 seasons use on each. Swapped to a venom and no issues in 3 seasons.

I might have to look at a vortex venom to upgrade from my truglo gobble stopper. Do you guys think it will be a big improvement for hunting?

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Save money and get a middle, smaller bead put on his rib. Teach him to stack the beads and practice shooting his hunt load to identify the dense part of the pattern. He will learn how to sight on the rib of the shotgun (proper technique) and he will learn how to pattern his shotgun to ammo. Win, Win.

I’m thinking about getting a cheap (less than $100, probably less than $50) red dot in the next week or two and seeing how it holds up for turkey. I’ve read enough accounts of the $30 ones holding up to 12ga turkey loads that it seems like it’s worth a shot. I generally like the buy once cry once approach but it seems like red dots may hit the diminishing returns point at a low dollar amount. Could be wrong, I’ve never had one. Would be interested in more testimonials of cheap ones getting the job done.

Have the Trijicon RMR on a pistol and like it, would like to try the MRO on my turkey gun.