Best UL 1 person tent

I'm not going to set a cost, but it has to be light and durable 3 season tent. Too many options for me to sort out. What is tried and truly used by hardcore hunters?

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
By far my favorite is the Big Agnus copper spur. It's long enough for anyone under 6' 4", big enough vestibule for a big pack and boots, and freestanding.

Eagle

WKR
Check out Henry Shires shelters. www.tarptent.com I've got the double rainbow, and it has slept two ok, but is very roomy for one and light at 40 oz. There are several other shelters on the site that are equally capable.

Stresd

FNG
X2 on Henry's TarpTents.:cool: Was going to buy a single tent as well to replace my B Agnes 3 wire. After researching I changed my mind and Decided on the 2 person tent over the single. My new Stratospire 2 that I just received is only 7 oz more than my 3 wire bivy but can sleep 2 comfortably with 3 in a pinch. First setup was last night and it blows the doors off of sleeping in my ole Bivy.:D

Lawnboi

WKR
I liked my little msr hubba. A little heavy but the material has something to it unlike some of the other UL options. And I got it for 125 so that was nice.

Lots and lots of options on this one!

I'm not a real fan of typical "solo" tents. Have a hard enough time dealing with wet gear, getting dressed, etc in most two person tents. The weight savings are usually pretty minimal between 1 and 2 person so I just use the bigger tent. When I replaced my old tent this spring, I ended up going with a Brooks Range Foray for my solo trips. Plenty of space for me and it has the advantage of being able to fit two if needed.

The only solo tent that made my final list was the Marmot Pulsar 1, as on paper it is close to 10" wider and has more vertical walls than the typical one person. Also a side entrance, which is nice IMO. I didn't end up buying it, but that might be one to consider.

Yk

a3dhunter

WKR
1 person tents can be very light weight, but when you are trying to sit out a rain storm in one it can get cramped.
I have the Tarptent Notch, after being stuck in it from 3:30pm-5:30am I was feeling like I would be happy carrying a 3 lb tent just for a little more room.

The notch fills a void, and has a purpose, but evaluate the entire situation before making your purchase.

I like my big Agnes fly creek ul3. It sleeps 2 real hunters pretty well. For a single hunter, it is very roomy. If you wanted to cut weight, the ul2 sounds perfect.

OP
big10hunter
Are the tarp tents fully enclosed or are they more like a tarp with a floor?

Are the big Agnes fly and copper durable enough? What's the difference between them?

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Just over 2 lbs, large enough for 2, but lighter than my previous 1 man tent. This is a great solo tent that provides room for some extra gear.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Are the big Agnes fly and copper durable enough? What's the difference between them?

Copper spur is more durable than the Fly Creek.

I would put Easton Kilo in the top 3 choices.

Havent had two people in the copper spur UL2 yet. But with the dual vestibules and dual entry, there shouldnt be any problems.

And at only a tad over 3 lbs (upgrade the stakes to a lighter version) its a palace for one!

Im a big fan of freestanding tents. Was gonna try the Big Agnes Slater UL2 (lighter and slightly more floor space than the copper spur), but found out its not a true "freestanding" tent.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider

I think the copper spur is durable (relative to other UL 3 seasons), I've used the fly creek and hated it. The fly creek isn't a real "free standing" tent, it's a bit shorter, and I wouldn't trust it anytime I feared any weather in the fall.

Tarps are a good option, but your OP said tent.

Eagle

WKR
Tarp tent makes some 4 season shelters, but the majority of the ultralight shelters are 3 season. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use my double rainbow if there was a chance of snow. I'm confident in the design and based off the weather it has handled, I feel it could take some snow. Probably not a full on 12"+ dump, but a small storm shouldn't cause an issue.

Not the lightest but for the versatility and comfort I am taking my GoLite SL5 with seekoutside nest. Leaves half the floor space as floorless and plenty of storage space. The Big Agnes Copper Spur is a great tent too.

LostArra

WKR
Scarp I here, another Tarptent/Shires offering. It has optional crossing poles for "4 season" use.
Double door/double vestibule is always nice even in a one-person tent. I use one side for entry and exit, the other for storage.
We usually pitch a lightweight tarp somewhere close by for a kitchen because I don't like cooking in a tent and the tarp provides more elbow room and extra storage.

The decision to use a one-person tent is also a decision that you just want a place to sleep out of the weather and store some gear.
That's it.
While a step up from a bivy, a one-person tent is not a great place hang out and play cards.
A lightweight tarp, especially a Supertarp, provides much more living space. In fact, I may be selling my Scarp because I find myself using the Supertarp more.