Best UL sleeping pad

I'm looking for recommendations on an ultralight sleeping pad. I'm trying to go as light as possible but also be somewhat comfortable. I'm just curious as to what people have had good luck with. I'm currently using a Big Agnes mummy, non-self inflating pad that weighs around 16 ounces. I like it, but would like to go with something lighter. For some reason, as I get older, all the stuff that I'm carrying on my back seems to be getting heavier. So, what is everybody else using that they would recommend?

sk1

WKR
Big Agnes has a new super light q core model that comes in around 17 oz.....I'm very interested but haven't seen one in person yet. They are on the BA website check em out

Sorry I re-read your post you said lighter than that, disregard my post!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really like the Neo Airs. The new Q-Cores are neat for sure. However, I don't bottom out the 2.5" of the Neo Air so I don't see the need for the extra inch personally. Plus it'll take my lungs longer to inflate them.

I'm a lightweight and I bottomed the x frame out a couple of different times. It does not work too well if you sleep on your side at all. I never put a hole in it, but I was always nervous with all of those seams :)
All in all, in my mind, it works ok for a 2 season lightweight occasional use pad.

jherald

WKR
I've had good luck with Neoair X-therm. Warm, and light. I carry around the Thermarest pumpsack and double it as a compression sack as well. It blows up the mattress fast with no lung heaving.

slim9300

WKR
Big Agnes has a new super light q core model that comes in around 17 oz.....I'm very interested but haven't seen one in person yet. They are on the BA website check em out

Sorry I re-read your post you said lighter than that, disregard my post!

Q-core SL actually looks amazing. The R-value of 4.5 and nearly 1" of extra thickness is unreal for weighing the same as the SynMat UL7 (R-value 3.1). That's about a 10 degree improvement in warmth / temp rating.

The 78" long mummy version is only 17 ounces! I think I found something new to go try. If Exped won't make a standard width long, I might have to stray a little. :)

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Pad

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Also, I hear the q-core is side-sleeper's dream. You simply inflate the pad 75% and you are good to go.

It's going to be just like my Exped DownMat 9 DLX but half the weight. :)

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
I would say the neo air is your best bet for light weight and comfortable. You could even get their xtherm if you wanted a warmer pad that is still super light weight.

jonny5

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
'theedz' - I have the 2/3 Peak AC Elite by Hyalite. Slept on the two-thirds sized pad for over 2 weeks last fall and did not notice any difference in comfort from my old Big Agnes. Best thing was that it shaved a bunch of weight as it weighs only 11 ounces and compressed to about half the size of my old Big Agnes, not to mention it takes about half the time to inflate. Run a bit high depending on where you look, but I found a screaming deal on summer-sale at The Clymb website last July for $50. Can't imagine replacing it with anything else.