Best ultralight pot and pan?

Elite

WKR
What’s everyone’s go to for pot and pan? Will be using it to melt snow for drinking water and warming some foods on top of the wood stove while sheep hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
I have the toaks mug and 750ml pot set. If by myself I take both, if going with a friend I just bring my mug. Plus, if cooking in my pot I always bring a mug for water and coffee (my coffee needs to taste like coffee).

SC MCG

FNG
Good Info here - any problems with the standard issue MSR or Jetboil pots?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
How many people? I love my Toaks 1300, but for melting snow may not be enough for more than one person.

It’ll be just myself, Having a bigger pot and being able to melt more snow at once seems handy tho

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
From my experience, you will need something larger than a quart if you are melting snow or it will take a really long time. Something wider than it is tall as it captures more heat from your stove and easier to add snow as it melts. Also, make sure you have a long handled spoon to stir the snow into the water, helps speed up the melting. And if you don’t know, make sure you start with some water in the bottom of your pot when you melt snow or it could scorch the bottom of the pot.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
From my experience, you will need something larger than a quart if you are melting snow or it will take a really long time. Something wider than it is tall as it captures more heat from your stove and easier to add snow as it melts. Also, make sure you have a long handled spoon to stir the snow into the water, helps speed up the melting. And if you don’t know, make sure you start with some water in the bottom of your pot when you melt snow or it could scorch the bottom of the pot.

Those are some really good tips that I didn’t think about! What is everyone using for the best fire starter? I have used the little zip packets in the past and seem to work well. Just wondering if there is other options?

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone opinion on the need for a heat exchanger on the bottom of the pot? How much longer does it really take to boil 2 cups of water in say a TOAKS than it would with say an Optimus with an exchanger?

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I cut up esbit tablets for fire starter, can use to boil water on their own in an emergency as well. Toaks has a little esbit “stove” and 1 tablet will heat up about 2 cups of water.

jrol

FNG
I think highly of the Japanese brands:

Snow peak is great, a good large pot that is not too tall vs. wide is the "cook and save" (includes a Tupperware style lid that is actually quite useful with family, but is not needed)

Evernew is a little lighter by virtue of being a bit thinner. Quality is equal in my opinion. They have large pots with non-stick if you are into that.

I have found none made in USA
I believe Toaks, Keith are made in China - but I am not certain.

Mrvrsick

FNG
I've got a Toaks 550 or 700 ( that I use when solo) though I don't go in the snow. I combine it with another Toaks that it will nest in, I forget which one, maybe the 900?

I went with Ti because I've heard that aluminum can't be used in a wood fire, and Ti is super cool. I'm fully aware that alum is tons cheaper.

I have a solo stove 900 kit + alcohol stove. I haven't taken it on an overnight, I didn't like how unstable it seemed after testing it in the backyard. I usually take my trangia alcohol stove kit. I like the idea of a wood stove, but I live in the PNW and don't want to rely on dry wood to eat

Mosby

WKR
For winter and car camping I combined a Mors bush pot with an MSR Titan kettle(.85l) that all nests together. I have a reflectex cozy around the MSR Titan and a SS X mug inside, which gives me a lot of options for melting snow, heating water and eating. Fits perfectly together. Not light weight but I can melt snow, eat dinner and have a cup of coffee or tea. I can put the Mors pot on the stove or hang it over a fire and it holds enough water to wash up a bit when I need too. My favorite kit for cold weather when comfort > weight. The Mors pot also works great for heating things like soups, stews and beans. This is almost always with me when I set up a basecamp or hunting out of my truck.

Snow Peak makes a nice 2 liter Ti pot mentioned that is light weight and would be a nice size for 1 person for what you are doing. 2 liters is a good size for melting snow IMO. I have never used this pan but it is recommended by Andrew Skurka for winter hiking, fwiw.

If I am just melting snow and/or boiling water for drinking and dehydrated meals, I take my MSR Reactor stove and throw an X mug in. Bullet proof in cold weather and you have water quickly. This is normally what I take when I am backpack hunting and cold camping.

Toaks 1100 with bail. Works on the fire or a stove. Sometimes if I bring a stove (gas, alcohol, or stick) I take a nonstick MSR skillet too. It's just over 5 oz. I have a Ti spatula that weighs just under an ounce. Very useful if you are cooking real food.
20210508_123253.jpg