Best Ultralight Tent

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good ones to choose from.

My advice- don't go by footprint alone. Some of those that swoop low on the perimeter show a large footprint but the actual use-able square footage is a lot less.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think AK Troutbum nailed it with the new Dirigo 2. I just don't know how you're going to find a lighter weight durable tent than that. As mentioned above with the tent pole link, you don't need to use the trekking polesof you dont want. At $800 it's spendy, but their design on this one nailed it in my opinion.
The zpacks duplex is $200 cheaper, and lighter. HMG makes solid gear, but that price is ridiculous for that shelter. The Duplex isn't a true double wall, but anyone who is used to running floorless isn't concerned with that anyways. I was a little let down when I saw the price and weight relative to other options already available. Some interesting materials in use, but nothing that makes it worth $200 more than a Duplex.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
The zpacks duplex is $200 cheaper, and lighter. HMG makes solid gear, but that price is ridiculous for that shelter. The Duplex isn't a true double wall, but anyone who is used to running floorless isn't concerned with that anyways. I was a little let down when I saw the price and weight relative to other options already available. Some interesting materials in use, but nothing that makes it worth $200 more than a Duplex.

I will agree the price is ridiculous. Personally, I like the design of this new tent better than "twin peak" style of the duplex. It looks a little more solid in bad weather.

New HMG shelter is interesting but it looks a like a moisture trap.
  • Entrance zipper seems to go a ways over the tub floor, easy to get rain in your tub entering the tent.
  • Floor looks sewn to the end walls and like it would just catch all the condensation which there is no peak vent to help with.
  • Vestibule space looks very minimal. If you have wet stuff it probably needs to stay outside or come in on top of your bathtub floor
Would be more interested if:
  • there were a separate inner not sewn to fly
  • Inner width for one person leaving a bigger vestibule and being less prone to have moisture in your tub
  • Bigger gap between fly and inner

It looks like it would be better in wind than a stratospire li but worse at almost everything else. For the same weight and more money.

Mid+ bivy or half inner seems preferable.

harry

FNG
I've had a Hilleberg Akto for the past ten years and love it. Plenty of room inside to move around, plus the vestibule helps keep gear out of the weather. Good ventilation and handles wind well. At 3lbs it doesn't take up much pack space.

Just from the little bit of research that I've done on the Dirigo, it's hard to ascertain whether or not condensation would be a big issue. The panels at both the head and foot are a breathable material (I believe it's eVent or a DCF/eVent hybrid), and coupled with the two mesh doors/wall panels, it appears like it should breathe/ventilate pretty well, hard sayin' not knowin'. As far as the doors go, if it was raining, it looks like opening them any more than about 3/4 of the way up would allow water to run directly down into the bathtub floor (although probably not too big of an issue, unless it was raining really hard).

That Hille Akto is very nice no doubt, but at 4 lbs. all in, it's not exactly ultra light, especially since it's only a one man tent. Regarding the price point, yeah, $800 is pretty steep and the only defense to that price point is the fact that DCF material alone is very expensive. If I were seriously considering this tent, and I could wait until Nov., HMG has 20% off sales on all their gear then.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just from the little bit of research that I've done on the Dirigo, it's hard to ascertain whether or not condensation would be a big issue. The panels at both the head and foot are a breathable material (I believe it's eVent or a DCF/eVent hybrid), and coupled with the two mesh doors/wall panels, it appears like it should breathe/ventilate pretty well, hard sayin' not knowin'. As far as the doors go, if it was raining, it looks like opening them any more than about 3/4 of the way up would allow water to run directly down into the bathtub floor (although probably not too big of an issue, unless it was raining really hard).

That Hille Akto is very nice no doubt, but at 4 lbs. all in, it's not exactly ultra light, especially since it's only a one man tent. Regarding the price point, yeah, $800 is pretty steep and the only defense to that price point is the fact that DCF material alone is very expensive. If I were seriously considering this tent, and I could wait until Nov., HMG has 20% off sales on all their gear then.
I wonder if that's the same material that Locus gear uses? They use a breathable fabric in a couple of theirs don't they?

cmahoney

WKR
If you are only looking for one tent to buy the BA copper spur 1 is awesome. I have a few tents for different situations but this is probably my most versatile. If you are a member of expert voice, the price is hard to beat. I really like the side opening over the front entrance they offer on their lighter models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you are only looking for one tent to buy the BA copper spur 1 is awesome. I have a few tents for different situations but this is probably my most versatile. If you are a member of expert voice, the price is hard to beat. I really like the side opening over the front entrance they offer on their lighter models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was on Expert Voice the past few days and a lot of brands weren't showing up. BA was one of them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The new Nemo Dragonfly is a direct competitor to the BA Copper Spur series of tents.

I wonder if that's the same material that Locus gear uses? They use a breathable fabric in a couple of theirs don't they?

It is, and it's both a fair amount heavier and more expensive than just the standard 0.8 DCF. By way of comparison, the standard 0.8 DCF Hapi weighs 12.3 oz. and costs approx. $610, where as the same shelter in DCF/eVent weighs 16.6 oz. and costs approx. $754. I'd really like to see how it performs with regards to condensation mitigation, but man I have a hard time with those prices. Personally, I wouldn't have a need for the DCF/eVent in a floorless shelter since learning a few tricks in dealing with condensation, but in a traditional floored tent, it may very well be worth it, IDK.

87TT

WKR
Another Big Agnes copper spur fan although I like the Copper Spur 2 for one person.

For the price of the dirigo I could just about buy a hilleberg akto and a tarp tent protrail. I have a tigoat vertex with a stove for cold weather. I'll probably pick up an akto this year.

3forks

WKR
I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Dirigo 2; but was pretty underwhelmed when the specs were released.

Someone on Backpacking Light created an overlay comparison of the footprints of the Dirigo and a few other popular 2 person shelters (including Hilleberg).

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-hmg-dirigo-2/page/2/

Anyway, I'm sure the Dirigo will work for some folks and I'd like to see it turn out to be a success for HMG.

Ten Bears

WKR
I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Dirigo 2; but was pretty underwhelmed when the specs were released.

Someone on Backpacking Light created an overlay comparison of the footprints of the Dirigo and a few other popular 2 person shelters (including Hilleberg).

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-hmg-dirigo-2/page/2/

Anyway, I'm sure the Dirigo will work for some folks and I'd like to see it turn out to be a success for HMG.

Thanks for posting this, gave the thread a full read. Knocked some sense into me with data, that floor space definitely isn't as usable as first thought.