Best Ultralight Tent

What would you say is the best ultralight tent for 1 person and gear? I think something with an integrated rain fly so that it is easy to sit up and pack up. I plan to hunt elk and move camp each morning.

colonel00

WKR
This is such an open ended question. It would really help if you described kind of what you were looking for and where you'll be using it. For instance:

Free standing or a tent you need to stake down?
Single wall or double wall?
"Traditional tent" or a tipi style shelter?
Terrain and weather you expect?
How much space do you want/need?
Do you plan to run a stove for heat?

OP
L
This is such an open ended question. It would really help if you described kind of what you were looking for and where you'll be using it. For instance:

Free standing or a tent you need to stake down?
Single wall or double wall?
"Traditional tent" or a tipi style shelter?
Terrain and weather you expect?
How much space do you want/need?
Do you plan to run a stove for heat?
The tent would be the best 3 season all around tent for an ultralight backcountry DIY hunter that is constantly moving. Double walled I guess is better for condensation.

tttoadman

WKR
I would be looking at these...I personally avoid anything without a side entrance.
BA copper spur 1...awsome setup and freestanding. May not hold up to even a few inches of snow.

Tarptent (take your pick)...Lots to choose from.

Six Moons Deschutes tarp and net tent combo(the MLD innernet is much better!!) https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tarps/products/deschutes-zero-g

Six Moons Lunar Solo
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/lunar-solo?variant=13424931602474

MLD Solomid XL with the innernet
https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/solomid-xl/

I have a six moons innernet that I use as a bathtub floor in my tipis and tarps. It does not have corner struts, so the tub is not there unless the net is up. The MLD net tent has corner struts. You can drop the net and sleep on top of it when not buggy, and only pull it up when needed. That will be the next net tent I buy.

Don't buy any of the poles that Six Moons sells. They are all crap. Use your trekking poles or build a pole. I had a pole maker build me a 5/8 7075 pole that is 50" long 5 sections. It breaks down to 10"+/- and goes in the bag with the tent or tarp. This allows me to leave it up and still have my trekking poles. If you are packing camp on your back everyday, I would just be using my trekking pole to setup.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
Hilleberg Akto has intergrated rain fly so you can set it up in the rain without getting the inside wet. Quick setup, approx 3 lbs. Thought I saw one here in the classifieds for a good price

Hilleberg Enan might be better suited for early season work and is lighter but I run my akto year round. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It has kept me in hunts that I would have bowed out with anything lighter.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different suggestions and some great perspectives from others...

For the past four years sheep hunting here in Alaska, I've used a KUIU Mountain Star two person (both solo and with my daughter). At a little over 3lbs total, it's not the lightest option...not a heavy pig either, but I prefer the double vestibule space, insect protection, and double-wall features. I've been in some pretty challenging winds, day after day of rain, and light snow-load with no problems at all...no condensation problems, no failures in the wind, etc. I should also add that I apply water-proofing spray prior to the trips...just for additional protection.

I’ve ran big Agnes fly creek ul1 and ul2 for 4 years then last year I switched to the Nemo hornet 2p. Lots of room for you and your gear plus 2 side doors with vestibules. I’ll be sticking with it for the next couple years. All just under 3 lbs.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like sleep systems are more personal than any other gear in your pack. what is the best for you could just flat out not work for me

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for the same thing right now. My current list of choices is:

Hilleberg Akto
Hilleberg Enan
Tarptnet Moment
Tarptent Scarp 1

The main thing I DON'T want is a trekking pole supported tent.

aion2come

WKR
Jalliston, you don't have to use trekking poles with the Stratospire, and I think you'd like the versatility and layout better than the Scarp. My personal opinion. You DON'T have to set up the Stratospire wtih trekking poles. You can get carbon fiber pole made HERE or get Tarptent's poles (but I here they aren't as sturdy). Anyway, good luck!

rino

FNG
As hunting season is usually more inclimate (in general) than regular camping times (aka summer)...ask yourself, how would this tent be setting up in the pouring rain? How would it be taking down in the drizzle, and moving to the next spot? How would the tent fare with heavy wet snow on it while you are out hunting all day and cannot clear it off? It happens. That might narrow down your options some

TBHasler

WKR
Take a look at the Tarptent's. I have the stratospire 1 and love it. Lightweight, hardly takes any space in my pack and roomy for 1 person.

This for sure. Stratospire 1 is really roomy for 1 and the dual doors and vestibule areas are huge. I still use mine for car camping and fit all gear on one side vestibule and cooler/cargo etc on the other. 2.2lbs with stuff sack and pegs

MtnMuley

WKR
I think AK Troutbum nailed it with the new Dirigo 2. I just don't know how you're going to find a lighter weight durable tent than that. As mentioned above with the tent pole link, you don't need to use the trekking polesof you dont want. At $800 it's spendy, but their design on this one nailed it in my opinion.