Best upland bird vest?

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Hope someone will clarify, use and purpose.

Im looking for a vest for my golden, she seems to pick up every devils tick or cocklebur in the county when we head out. The it takes me a half hour to get the shit out when I get home.

Got to be a better way.
Just started researching.

View attachment 235291

I would be interested in that, too. My girl was covered in snowballs this morning.

a1908c634f3226caef7b78e30af963d4.jpg

Hope someone will clarify, use and purpose.

Im looking for a vest for my golden, she seems to pick up every devils tick or cocklebur in the county when we head out. The it takes me a half hour to get the shit out when I get home.

Got to be a better way.
Just started researching.

View attachment 235291
I bought a Skid Plate vest form Sportsman's (about $40) for my GWP. He's a hard charger so his chest and belly would get cut up running over/through corn and wheat. He also learned that when the vest comes on, it means it's hunting time. I carry a stripping comb in my pocket and try to do a quick run through him between fields when we get back to the truck and then at the end of the day give him a good comb through to get the rest of the crap out of his coat. Takes 3-5 minutes max. Plus the bright orange of the vest helps him stand out in the field.

DJB

FNG
I like the skid plate vest on both my GWPs and I also use Mushers Secret Paw Protection to keep ice balls from forming in the fur between the dogs toes.

i ran a filson strap vest for years and still love it. my boy now runs it and i went to the pyke and love it

I think a lot depends on how and where you hunt. If you run dogs. Etc.

I searched around for years looking for an ideal vest. Cabelas, Filson, etc.

I don’t run dogs myself (guides or friends) and I am most often close to a truck. After a few experiments, I found I preferred strap vests.

Specifically, My favorite for hunts where I am not far from the truck is the orvis waxed cotton vest. It is plenty for ammo, water, snacks and a few birds. Goes over winter layers and not too hot for tee shirt weather.

I have a q5 Quillomene vest that I use for the rare trips when I am going far into the field. It has too many pouches and too much capacity for shor hunts but it definitely has its place for more rugged trips.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working through my first season with the upland vest from Badlands. I've had to switch from bottles to bladder for water, but I've hunted grouse or pheasants for half a day out of it so far without problem. Some reviews say it doesn't hold many birds. I had 3 roosters, 2 quail, and a water bottle in the game pouch without problem a few weeks ago (in the picture). I also had about 2 Liters of water left in the bladder at that time. I can fit my 3L bladder in it fine.

It's on sale for $120 through the 30th for thier black Friday sale. At that price I'd say it's definatley worth it.

20201101_085626.jpg

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
The Alps or Badlands Upland Game Vests (linked above) are awesome. Pricey but if you get a discount they are definitely worth it.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using a Final Rise vest. Bought one almost immediately after they were announced. Love it and highly recommend it.

CDM9518

FNG
Hello, I am new here, I have recently started using the Orvis Pro Series bird vest and I really like it! I primarily hunt wild Chukar in Northern Nevada and wild quail in the valleys. I regularly hike many miles 5 plus easily and usually carry about 2-3 liters for my Brittany and I along with some snacks and food as well as a few layers. I was interested in the Q5 or Wingworks but due to lack of availability I decided to go this route and I am pretty happy with it, excellent workmanship and seems like it will last me plenty of years to come!

Nate Abe

FNG
I have been running the final rise this season with no complaints. The Filson I used prior was a great vest as well.

Attachments

• 1C8955FE-B36F-422F-99C9-CC2D85F8BDCD.jpeg
    1C8955FE-B36F-422F-99C9-CC2D85F8BDCD.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 77

WKR
I've been using a Filson for years. Now hunting in Kansas with longer walks, two nalgene bottles for the dogs in the game bag and 4 pheasants at times. I am concerned I'll lose a bird out of that game bag. Kind of looking around and will check out some of these options. If I only quail hunted or was going for shorter strolls the Filson would still be totally fine for me. As it is, it still works just thinking more volume may be nice.

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said depends on what you're hunting. Assuming that you're going to be out for long days in the mountains (because that's what I do, LOL). Final Rise vests are hard to beat. A lot of guys have said wing works but they're essentially out of business. Final Rise is the same basic design. They are expensive but they're hand made one at a a time and the young man whose making them is a real stand up guy. When this question gets asked on the Nevada Chukar hunters facebook page, final rise is almost the consensus answer (you can tell I'm not a fanboy at all!)
IMG_0689.jpeg

Tex68w

WKR
Can someone with a Final Rise vest post pics of how the hydration bladder hangs within the vest and where you route the hose?