Best upland bird vest?

rkoeneke

FNG
I caved and went and ordered the Final Rise! Looking forward to putting it to work. Thanks again to everyone for all of the information. Still looking forward to more info on the marsupial gear belt. Might consider that for the wife or to have in the arsenal for shorter trips.

kbraune

FNG
I caved and went and ordered the Final Rise! Looking forward to putting it to work. Thanks again to everyone for all of the information. Still looking forward to more info on the marsupial gear belt. Might consider that for the wife or to have in the arsenal for shorter trips.
Looking forward to hearing how you like it. My brother informed me about these vests and despite the fact that I don't do much upland, I am really liking them. He just moved to Nevada so I'm thinking an upland trip is in my future.

I did the same thing! From what my buddies say we made a good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
You won't be dissapointed. I got mine right before the season and have used it about a month now. Great piece of gear. Well, made, functional. Has everything you need and nothing you don't. Zero complaints.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Final Rise Summit. There's a use-case for the old Filson strap vest, but it's not so much for anyone looking to put longer miles on. Having a place for tools, water, first aid and lots of hulls is easy to appreciate, but the real game-changer is how much weight you can carry. Limits are one thing, but I've even helped a buddy load up his dog - well over 50 lbs for a 2-mile walk back to the truck after she tangled with a leg trap. Final Rise really nailed it with this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_8333.JPG
    IMG_8333.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

JonS

WKR
So hunt redi deviate with
2 water bottle holders
Pair of lashing straps
One extra D-ring attachment
One multi-purpose zip pocket
for around $200 or
spend a little more for the final rise? Probably the legacy for me.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Just got confirmation that the Legacy I put an order in shipped on Thursday.

Just in time for a Thanksgiving shoot in South Dakota.

I will say I have been using the Filson strap vest for 25 years with little issues. Basically the fabric on the shotshell pouches are starting to give up, so placed this order & I’ll pass the Filson down to the kids

VernAK

WKR
Another vote for the Final Rise Summit. There's a use-case for the old Filson strap vest, but it's not so much for anyone looking to put longer miles on. Having a place for tools, water, first aid and lots of hulls is easy to appreciate, but the real game-changer is how much weight you can carry. Limits are one thing, but I've even helped a buddy load up his dog - well over 50 lbs for a 2-mile walk back to the truck after she tangled with a leg trap. Final Rise really nailed it with this thing.
Great story Tristan!

I'm an old guy that doesn't walk a lot for upland birds but I do walk a fair amount for sandhill cranes and your pic of carrying the dog caught my eye. I've been using a rucksack to pack shells, snacks, bino etc but it's clumsy to shoot with but needed for packing out a limit of 3 cranes at 30#. Final Rise looks like it will work for that.

When I got my bird dog I decided to upgrade my vest to the Orvis pro series strap vest. I love how it puts all the weight on my hips. MY only minor complaint is how thick the shoulder pads are though I have only noticed it effecting my gun mount a couple times. If I were in the market I would look closely at their Pro LT vest which looks like it addresses the shoulder strap issue.

Holocene

WKR
Filson.

But get an older model on eBay. Filson has started to import more and more of their classic items, which is a shame. I have one that's 3-4 years old and my hunting buddy has one that is probably 15 years old.

These Filson vests are like cast iron pans and real hardwoods. They get better and better over time if you take care of them.

Cheap Chinese vests are like Teflon pans and engineered wood flooring. Every little scratch and blemish makes them worse and worse until...

Reactions: OMB

IdahoElk

WKR
So did I, can’t wait to try it out!

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn't seen the Hunt Redi thing before, looks intriguing.

I tried a friend's Bird'n'Lite vest, it was too minimalist for my needs. Actually for that hunter's needs too, it can only hold 9 ptarmigan before they start falling out. And, the blood soaks through and stains pants every time.

So, I bought the Badlands Upland Game Vest - What a piece of SHIT! I wore it thread bare in a single season, and I don't even hunt tight cover much. I think a midwest grouse hunter would go through that Badlands vest in a month.

Two of my hunting partners use the Orvis Pro Series Vest, it works for them, mostly. But, still too little. Same with Filson.

I ended up buying a Q5 Centerfire (why are their products named after rifles?!). It's well made, and does what I need it to, but the design is a bit old school, modern designed backpacks are more comfortable.
I won't complain though, since we're talking niche stuff here. The Q5 vest lets me keep my Garmin 550, bear spray, 20 shells, and water bottle within easy reach. In sort-of-easy-reach I carry a full day's food, a pair of 8x25 binos, my hunting license, and second water bottle or thermos. In the "backpack" I carry a rain shell, gloves, a toque, and an emergency puffy jacket. In the cargo pocket I carry nylon webbing (for opening a conibear trap), wire cutters (for cutting a snare), knife, headlamp, Garmin InReach, emergency first aid/repair kit, toilet paper and lighter, choke wrench, and probably some other stuff too.
It's a lot.
It just barely fits in the Q5, wish it held more.

IMG_3710.jpeg

oh, and it will fit 10 ptarmigan and a snowshoe hare.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Based on this thread, I ordered a Final Rise Summit in camo color and got it about 10 days after placing the order. Tried it for a week hunting pheasant and sharptail in Montana and am happy with it.

I liked the deep pocket for shells, the two water bottle pockets, and the game bag in back. All were easy to reach, well designed, strong and light in weight. The vest also had six external shell loops on each side pocket which fit 12 gauge shells and made quick reloading easier for me. The vest was comfortable when carrying at least moderate weight.

A bit of sticker shock over the price but worth it in my opinion.

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered my final rise vest as well! For the final rise owners, how long did it take you to get your vest? I know the website says 3-4 weeks, but was just curious about others experience. Can’t wait to get my hands on the thing haha

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I received confirmation of shipping from Final Rise the 3rd week and the vest showed up about 4 days later.

This was the Legacy model

rkoeneke

FNG
You're a lucky duck. Just for reference my Summit was ordered oct 12 and landed at my door on Nov 15. Cant wait to put some miles on it.