Best Upland Hunting Vest?

Samkha

FNG
It's somewhat embarrassing how we ended up in the situation...followed a buddy who'd done "Google Earth research" on descending a mountaintop the quickest way after a Mearn's quail hunt. I had a bad feeling about it from the beginning, but he was dead set on it. As I worried, the canyon that looked great on Google Earth was narrower and deeper than it looked from above. A mile in we're carrying the dogs down 10-foot cliffs and handing guns down the cliffs. Then my buddy's year-old GSP (glad it was his dog and not mine, since he got us in the mess in the first place and had stubbornly refused to turn around multiple times) walks off a 30-foot cliff and breaks his leg, right after that we came to a cliff we couldn't descend, so into the LL Bean pack the dog goes and back up the 1-mile + canyon we go. Then we had the pleasure of carrying the dog 2.5 miles back down the mountain the way we had hiked up and should have gone in the first place.

Could have been worse. And I've always said, bad decisions make for good stories later. I'm just getting into upland birds here in CA (dove, chukar, quail). I really want to get a good dog.

Wassid82

WKR
My old vest is turning into rags over many years of use. Anyone have suggestions for one they really like?
I’ve had several. My all time favorite is the badlands. It holds a good number for shells for all day hikes/hunts and has a water bladder. Great comfort and even a belt when you get a heavier vest by the end of the day. I won’t use anything else

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used the badlands or tenzing technical vests? Curious how they compare to the ll bean. I had a mother technical vest that has been commandeered by my brother, looking for the most similar design.

tmidthun

FNG
Has anyone used the badlands or tenzing technical vests? Curious how they compare to the ll bean. I had a mother technical vest that has been commandeered by my brother, looking for the most similar design.

I purchased the Tenzing pack this year and have loved it so far. I've used it on all day grouse hunts and was able to pack in enough water and food to keep me and the dog going strong. Make sure to get a nice water bladder and I would stick in the 2 L range for size. It has plenty of room to fit 3 pheasants even with a full water bladder. It is somewhat difficult to stuff a pheasant in the vest with 1 hand. I usually unload and set my shotgun down anyways before loading a bird, but if you want the one hand load option it can be tough.

Can't compare to the LL Bean, as I haven't owned one and only owned the cheaper upland vests. Overall love the Tenzing and don't anticipate switching anytime soon.

Wing works is the best vest I have ever worn. So comfortable and versatile, I strapped my climbing sticks to the back of it and used it for late season whitetail this year. I also use it for hog hunting as I can snap shoot a rifle and don’t have to worry about snagging a backpack strap.

qwerksc

WKR
i've been running a Q5 San Carlos strap vest for the last two seasons. I don't see it wearing out for a while.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Filson old school strap vest. Then you can layer from t shirt to damn cold. When it wears, send it in and they repair it.

I have been wearing the Tenzing for three seasons and other than the color fading I have had no issues. It can get a little tight when putting a limit of chukars in it. They tend to migrate toward the front of the bag/pocket instead of staying in the back. I have been able to carry a 3L bladder and all my stuff with no issues. i have no reason to change until it turns to rags.

JohnB

WKR
I wanted a Wing Works bag but couldn't justify the cost so I ended up with an "Orvis Pro Series Hunting Vest" It's a bit overkill early in the year, but I really like being able to easily fit a warm coat, first aid kit and thermos when I'm out in Nov-Jan. If you keep an eye out Orvis usually has some big sales.

My only complaints are that I wish it had more orange on the front. When I'm carrying my shotgun low in front of me my arms cover the orange on the shell pockets. The water bottle pockets work well but I've dropped a bottle or two when I'm crawling under barbed wire fences. It's easy to keep an eye out for it in those situations though.

lacire

FNG
It depends what and when you’re hunting. I have a Herters upland vest that looks just like the L.L. Bean double L waxed cotton. I’ve been using it for almost 15 years and it’s held up really well. For me it’s more for late season as it does build up heat underneath it when it‘s warm out, works better for me in the snow. I‘m going to try the Sitka ascent vest and maybe a belt pouch for this springs turkey hunt.

lacire

FNG
The Tenzing Upland Bird Vests look nice for the very late season hunts when it’s cooler or if you needed to carry a lot for an all dayer away from the truck.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the Q5 rimfire for the last 3 seasons. Super comfortable and no signs of wearing out yet besides some fading orange.

Tallcrow

FNG
So many great options out there but I still go to the old Filson strap vest as my go to.

Eagle

WKR
This is looking like a great option, not available yet, but appears to be well thought out.

official website hasn't launched yet: www.huntredi.com

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I have used an LL Bean technical vest for about 20 years. Don't see it on their website right now. It is a great item, with a good hip belt and shoulder straps which I need because we have to carry a lot of water for the dogs where we hunt. Good pockets and good game bag.

One of my partners has a Tenzing vest that is similar in utility and very well made. I use Tenzing hunting packs so I can attest to quality.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
You guys that run the Filson vest, how are you carrying extra shells? Just loosely in the pockets?