Best Upland Hunting Vest?

mfsights257

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Filson Strap Vest, but it's pretty basic. Had it for over 20 yrs though.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I like wing works. Put at least 150 hard days on it - shows some sign of wear but functions perfectly.

ODB

WKR
I use an old Filson strap vest. It’s 95% perfect but needs split pouches and a zip pouches on the back of them for licenses. I use a Fanny pack (oh my) for water and snacks.

Strap vests are easily the best concept.

Had two Filson strap vests that were great but both developed holes in the bottoms of the front pockets. Still a great no frills design.

Current is a make by LL Bean (see photo) that I bought for $80 on Amazon. Did not like at first but durable and worth what I paid for it.

Been wanting a Wingworks for years but never patient enough to wait. Maybe this year?

The newer Filson Pro front loader strap vests are worth a look.

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpg
    IMG_6637.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 111

Forks

FNG
Another vote for LL Bean Technical. I never leave the truck with less than a full 3L bladder and 2-30 oz bottles for a day I the partridge hills and lots of other goodies in case shit hits the fan. It was copied from a prove winner (Mother Tech).

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my filson a lot of years and it’ll probably last the rest of my life. Not for warm weather though.

Depends on what type of hunting I am doing and where. Most of my upland is Kansas. Never more than 1/2 mile from the truck. For that I use an orvis strap vest. Holds a couple boxes of shells, gloves and a few birds just fine. Mine is 10 years old and holding up well.

For longer walks I bought one of those Quilomene modular ones. It is great if I had to haul a lot of gear but too heavy and complicated for easy stuff.

Jacack

WKR
Had awing works for around 10 season I guess and its awesome, carry heavy all day with ease. Worth every penny

Lando

WKR
They should put you in the LL bean catalog with that story.

It's somewhat embarrassing how we ended up in the situation...followed a buddy who'd done "Google Earth research" on descending a mountaintop the quickest way after a Mearn's quail hunt. I had a bad feeling about it from the beginning, but he was dead set on it. As I worried, the canyon that looked great on Google Earth was narrower and deeper than it looked from above. A mile in we're carrying the dogs down 10-foot cliffs and handing guns down the cliffs. Then my buddy's year-old GSP (glad it was his dog and not mine, since he got us in the mess in the first place and had stubbornly refused to turn around multiple times) walks off a 30-foot cliff and breaks his leg, right after that we came to a cliff we couldn't descend, so into the LL Bean pack the dog goes and back up the 1-mile + canyon we go. Then we had the pleasure of carrying the dog 2.5 miles back down the mountain the way we had hiked up and should have gone in the first place.

Last edited: