Best “value” in a sleeping bag

Considering I may only is this bag 5-7 nights a year, dropping $700 to $800 on one is a struggle. My question is, what are some bags in the $250 to $500 range that are an exceptional value. I understand there will be some sacrifices but I am hoping those are in weight and compression rather than warmth and durability.
Side sleeper and if I’m hunting in temps dropping to the teens I plan on having a teepee and stove with me. With that said would a 15 degree bag be a good versatile option or should I look for a 0 degree bag and vent it in warmer weather?

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I'm happy with my wiggys bag. Its Not the best for packing but it's been holding up great for me

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Check out Sierra Designs back country bed (look for pro deals). Really light, comfy, and pretty solid into the 20s. You can get your hands on them for under $300. Nitro is supposed to be warmer for a little more money.

Last edited:

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Check out outdoor vitals. I have a bunch of their hammock gear and a couple of their bags, one synthetic and one down. I’ve found that the weights and temp ratings listed on the website are both accurate.

Last edited:
Id go with something from Western Mountaineering in a synthetic shell maybe 10-15* range . It will push you close to $500 but light and quality

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say best value would be a synthetic marmot or similar and over rate it by 10-20 degrees . It will weigh more and be bulkier but it won’t set you back like the better stuff .

A lot of bags will work but not many bags are good and perform as expected . The price of the WM bags and similar is reflective of the quality of down and finish. Zippers that don’t snag won’t be that big of a deal a few night but spend 30 nights and they will be worth it . It’s the little things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
I've got a zero degree bag that I bought years ago for under $100. Yea it's a little heavier, but it works great. I'm looking into a guilt, may be an option for you

You can get a lightly used WM bag in the classifieds here for 400-450 for that temp range. I’ve purchased 2 and they are fantastic.

Clarence

WKR
I have been pleased with my big agnes 0° down bag. I like how the pad attaches. I believe I sleep warm, but it has served well with a base layer at single digits. I am sure it's not on plane with the premium brands, but it's not cheap junk either. I purchased it with the intention of hunting Co rifle elk seasons. I consider this a dry environment, so I wanted a down bag. I haven't owned every synthetic insulation, but my experience is they deteriorate. I wanted a bag that should last me 10 years of a dozen or so nights a year.

CCH

WKR
My go to recommendation for a 90% bag over the years has been the NF Cat's Meow. Light for a synthetic with a reasonably accurate temp rating. It will do 90% of what a back pack hunter needs doing.

Travis907

WKR
I have been extremely happy with my Klymit KSB Down 0 Degree Oversized bag but I heard they are replacing it with a Hybrid Down/Synthetic version of the bag. I would definitely look into it!

accumax

FNG
Taiga works down bags are an exceptional value. They are made in Vancouver, BC. I wrote up a review on this forum earlier this fall. Definitely worth checking them out. XL 15 degree mummy for around $315USD. They have been making sleeping bags there for over 40 years. I absolutely love my Taiga cloud-9 bag. I also own a couple Wiggy's bags which are a great value too, just much heavier and way less compressible, but better in very wet conditions.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Mt Hardwear lamina or ultra lamina series have alway impressed me. If you want a down bag I would go for something higher end, the cheapos just aren't worth it.

jofes

WKR
I have a cedar ridge outdoors 0 quilt thats amazing, light and cheap, i only have one season on it so far so i cant speak to durability.

If you can get past their political issues (not 2nd amendment friendly), REI Magma line on sale is frequently around $300 and is a great buy. I’d lean towards the women’s version because they stuff them with more down than the dudes version.

If you can get past their political issues (not 2nd amendment friendly), REI Magma line on sale is frequently around $300 and is a great buy. I’d lean towards the women’s version because they stuff them with more down than the dudes version.

Second this, I got this from a buddy who works at REI when they get their employee sales for around $200. It packs down like crazy and is super light. Lofts up nice and is really toasty. My wife constantly steals it when we backpack cause it's way warmer than her womens 0 degree bag (non magma).