Best “value” in a sleeping bag

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have had good luck with The North Face synthetic bags and those can be picked up pretty cheap at times. I am pretty sure that Santa Claus is bringing my daughter a TNF Cat’s Meow (20 degree bag).

I also have a Western Mountaineering Apache MF (rated at 15 degrees). I really like it and I have used it from really warm too down in the teens. It is a little above your price range but you can sometimes find promos (rewards, not % off) that will end up getting it where you want to be, assuming you have something you can use the rewards on. The WM Apache is light and packs small.

LandYacht

WKR
Without a doubt the Western Mountaineering Versalite is the best value. At 2 pounds and a very conservative 10 degree rating, full length zipper and WM quality you can’t do better. It’s $590 at full retail, but look around and you’ll find a deal if you’re smart about it. Sales never happen on them, but deals do.

Don’t mess with the other bags. You’ll just end up spending money on them and getting a Versalite in the end. I use mine year round, vent it in the summer with the full length zipper and be plenty comfortable right up to zero in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren’t backpacking it the army ECWCS system can be had for under $100 and will get you to zero degrees with a lot of versatility (double bag and bivy).

Nemo has been putting out some interesting bags. Very happy with my forte for the price.

huntcoop

WKR
Without a doubt the Western Mountaineering Versalite is the best value. At 2 pounds and a very conservative 10 degree rating, full length zipper and WM quality you can’t do better. It’s $590 at full retail, but look around and you’ll find a deal if you’re smart about it. Sales never happen on them, but deals do....

PM me with where to "look" for deals...

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
If you are open to quilts hammock gears econ burrows line when it's on sale is hands down the best value to weight/warmth. 20 degrees wide width for 24oz on my scale for $160.

CBreeze

FNG
I have a cedar ridge outdoors 0 quilt thats amazing, light and cheap, i only have one season on it so far so i cant speak to durability.

Love my cedar Ridge quilt and I will say that Cedar Ridge Outdoors Qualilty is absolutely impeccable. There construction and materials are top notch. And if/when you tear it up Warren and company will repair it. They use their stuff.

Last edited:

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been very happy with my Outdoor Vitals sleeping bags. Ive got a synthetic and a down and have no complaints about either. My setup is the mummy pod for hammock camping, but I imagine that their regular sleeping bags are just as good of a value. Great quality, reasonable price, awesome customer service/warranty.

tdot

WKR
Best Value is used. So much high end equipment barely gets used, it's amazing the gear you can find for a substantial savings.

dtrkyman

WKR
Outdoor vitals are nice for the money.

I’ve froze my rear off in a north face cats meow! It’s around a 40 degree bag as far as comfort goes for me!

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I think anything less than an 800-fill down sleeping bag from a reputable manufacturer is a bad investment, even for a beginner. I'd recommend learning about sleeping bag ratings and comparing how different companies rate their bags.

I like Marmot sleeping bags. They aren't quite top-tier, but I think they are very close. As far as value goes, I'd look for one on sale or lightly used.

tdhanses

WKR
I would seriously consider a Stone Glacier bag, I also would contact one shot gear and see if they ever have any Rokslide discount codes 😉

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Vitals. Light weight, well made, and very reasonably priced.

schmalzy

WKR
You can find WM bags on here in the $450 range. Took me a while to justify but every time I use it now I’m glad I did.

NoWiser

WKR
My Marmot Helium has taken me down to its 15 degree rating comfortably. I’ve thrown a Woobie in it and have been cozy down to below zero. Don’t underestimate the importance of a good sleeping pad.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Big Agnes Flume UL 30. Rates closer to 20 degree and under 1.5lb 850 down and great reviews. Could find sub $400 and maybe get it even lower with discounts.

S.Clancy

WKR
I would say best value would be a synthetic marmot or similar and over rate it by 10-20 degrees . It will weigh more and be bulkier but it won’t set you back like the better stuff .

A lot of bags will work but not many bags are good and perform as expected . The price of the WM bags and similar is reflective of the quality of down and finish. Zippers that don’t snag won’t be that big of a deal a few night but spend 30 nights and they will be worth it . It’s the little things

This. Marmot 15 degree synthetic a little under 3lbs and maybe $125