Best value in trekking poles

GPool1842

WKR
I picked up the black diamond distance-Z poles when they were closing out and updating the model in 2017. Great poles and haven’t had any issues. Not the carbon version. I have not used them to support a shelter.

Only thing I would change is the grip. Paying for the premium cork grip is warranted..

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black Diamond Trail Back for me. I’ve beat, hammered, pounded and straightened my first set for over 5 years now. Never had issues with the flick lock. To collapse them takes some effort cause they’re so hammered but they just keep working. Liked them so much I bought a second set, not cause mine failed but for my daughter. They run about $70.

Jwukie

FNG
Got a pair of Hiker Hunger carbon poles on Amazon a few years ago. The rubber feet suck and will fall apart, but the actual pole has been solid. I’ve been happy with them for $50-60.

I bought a set of the cascades for my wife and they are working fine for her. I have 6 or 7 seasons of abuse on my black diamond flick lock carbon corks and they are bomber, I don't regret spending the money on them one bit. I don't think the cheap ones would last.

I have several pairs of various CF trekking poles, BD Alpine Carbon Corks, Locus Gear, and two pair of the Cascade Mountains from Costco. I’ve broke two poles in the last 10 years or so, the BD’s and the Cascade’s, both times it was my fault, or actually one time it was my sons fault. Bottom line is, any CF trekking pole can be broke, even with normal use. Don’t think for a minute that just because a pair of trekking poles costs $130, or more, that they’re going to be 4+ times better, or more durable than those poles that cost $30. Oh, and also, don’t believe for a minute that just because you paid a premium price for those name brand poles the company will take care of you. Both of my poles that broke were on the “weakest link” the tip section. I replaced the Cascade’s for $28 at our local Costco when I got home from the trip, the BD’s required a 4 month wait until BD had the tip section back in stock, and then charged me almost $50 for the section because my poles were a couple months past the 1 year warranty period. The moral to that story is, I’m an idiot two times over. I’m an idiot for spending $130 on a pair of trekking poles, then an idiot again for giving the company another $50 for a replacement tip section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I went with Casade MT poles last fall, they worked fine. I sold a pair leki on Ebay and recouped about 70 percent of what I had into them. I dont really feel or see a difference.

The poles that have two sections that stick into each other with metal poles are the strongest poles in my mind

Hard to beat the Leki micro variable ti for strength on an adjustable pole.

At 80$ or so it's worth the 50$ upgrade over Costco poles

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
Been using hiker hunger carbon fiber poles last 2 seasons. Lots of abuse and still working great. Gave about $60 for them on amazon.

Thanks for all the reviews. I’ve been looking at the cascades for a while now. I’ll be ordering some on amazon tonight.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set of aluminum montem's that are snap lock and have been toting them around for 3 seasons now. No complaints and fairly cheap. I do need to replace the mud baskets after a really gnarly descent packing meat out last year down some rocky shale.

Monoprice Carbons! They go on sale occasionally or if you can find a coupon. But even at full price they are pretty sweet. No way I could justify 150+ on a set of trekking poles.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319

Bought 2 sets of these and am disappointed in how loud they are. They click when they hit the ground like there is some movement in the sections where they come together. My Cascades don't make the noise.

Cc1

FNG
For value I don't know how you can go wrong with the cascade mt trek.